Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question for Seymour Duncan

Originally posted by zaqwert6 View Post
    Not that it applies here but slot "Heads" are a stronger tool interface and are less likely to strip out than a phillips.

Next came the pozidrive philips which never took off for whatever reason but do show up here and there.

+1 to this
    sigpic
    Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
    JFG Flying V,
    "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
    John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

I found a great set of screw drivers. one is PERFECT for neck screws. one is perfect for the polepieces and one is perfect for the adjustment screws. That baby never slips. Just use a right screwdriver for the right job. It sounds so ridiculous, but the right tool makes the work 90% less annoying or even hazardous. I tend to use slotted screws to hold down the pickup rings, too. I just like the clean look.

Comment

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
        because they strip faster than a young single mother with daddy issues.
        Gold, pure gold. Post of the month, post of the year
        Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
          It's a vintage correct thing.
          No, it is NOT!

Look at the screws... I don't think that it gets any more "vintage correct" than that, Frank.

I thought you should know...
          Last edited by LtKojak; 08-18-2013, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zaqwert6 View Post
            What does, pozidrives ?

Oh hell no, they work great but very few people have the correct driver or even know that they require one.
            i hear you; i should've said that trying to deal with pozi screws that someone else has mined the top out of is a bit of a PITA

Comment

Could be / Would be nice if they came with both!
              Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
              If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo
                It's a vintage correct thing.
                Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                No, it is NOT!
                Vintage Seymour Duncan pickups were shipped with slot head screws.

The end.

Comment

I hear you, Phillips head all the way for all pickups.
                  Hamer,Fender Kramer,Epiphone,Yamaha
                  Full Shred,'78 EVH,Custom 5,Alnico Pro II's,Vintage Rails,STK-1,STK-2.

Comment

I like Phillips head screw drivers WHEN the phillips head screws are high quality. I can't tell you how many I've stripped and had to either a.) leave stripped and never take them out ever again, or b.) try and twist them out using a pair or pliers.

When a phillips head strips, it's about the most aggravating thing I've experienced in the context of guitars. I've never committed a hate crime but I have turned an already (slightly) broken table into kindling with a rubber hammer after stripping a philips head that I had drilled for. The reason I drilled for it was so that I wouldn't strip another ******* screw. I placed, delicately, the screwdriver onto the screw, and applied a gentle but persistent pressure. Before the screw began to turn, the philips head screwdriver delicately and gently removed all of the GD metal which might have otherwise been used to turn the screw into the already drilled wood.

I have two guitars with gotoh vintage locking tuners. Do you want to guess why they're all held on with flathead screws?

I've never had a neck screw strip while bolting on a neck. That's why I use philips head for that application. Vintage correct is slotted though. Same for pickguards, etc. etc.

Just about every SD pickup I've gotten has come with slotted (flat head) height adjustment screws. I think for that particular application philips is fine (pickup screws aren't really under a lot of tension/pressure/whatever) but I don't have a huge problem with slotted. Just hold the flathead in the screw with your thumb and forefinger like you're pinching the screw.
                    Last edited by jimijames; 08-18-2013, 07:33 PM.
                    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                    I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

*gets popcorn*

*waiting for Pepe*

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                        *gets popcorn*

*waiting for Pepe*
                        Frank played the "SD vintage" card, so he wins.

Anyway, it was all in jest, for the fun of it.

For the record: all my guitars have phillips screws. I just don't see the point in carrying around two screwdrivers, when I can do just fine with only one? I never let "tradition" or "vintage correctness" stand in the way of being practical... unless I get paid to prepare real vintage instruments for a show, that is.
                        Last edited by LtKojak; 08-18-2013, 11:58 PM.

Comment

It really is not hard at all to screw in a slotted head without slipping. Just be patient, don't rush, and focus on what you're doing. Using the right tool helps.

Now I really like slotted screws, more so than a lot of phillips. Why? I have yet to strip a slotted screw. People have told me "Bah I've stripped one before!". I can't understand how you can strip a slot-head screw to the point it is unusable like a stripped phillips head. I even googled "stripped slot head screw" and got nothing. Really, it is just a line through metal! How do you screw that up?

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                          Frank played the "SD vintage" card, so he wins.

Anyway, it was all in jest, for the fun of it.

For the record: all my guitars have phillips screws. I just don't see the point in carrying around two screwdrivers, when I can do just fine with only one? I never let "tradition" or "vintage correctness" stand in the way of being practical... unless I get paid to prepare real vintage instruments for a show, that is.
                          With the slotted pickup height screws I've used a pick. Very convenient, and simple. Not the right tool, but can still work which I find to be another positive aspect of slot head screws.

Comment

Working...
                          X