Seymour Duncan "The Mag" humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan "The Mag" humbucker

Just saw one on eBay. Can't find any info on Google. Two slug coils. 4-conductor wiring. No holes in the bottom of the baseplate. Anyone have details on this model?

Re: Seymour Duncan "The Mag" humbucker

I checked the listing, and history of Seymour Duncan products, and found nothing to indicate Seymour Duncan ever had a humbucker called "The Mag". The title says "Seymour Duncan" and "Gibson SG" in it, with nothing to prove the pickup manufacturer. I think it is a sketchy listing.

EDIT: I had suspicions of it being similar to the Stag Mag, but didn't want to make any claims. I'm sure others would know about this more than me.
    Last edited by Myaccount876; 09-15-2013, 02:48 AM.

Comment

If memory serves me right the mag is a non staggered SH3 stag mag.
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

As Edgecrusher stated, a non-staggered stag mag. However, I also recall something about the mag. I am unsure if it had Alnico II (like the Stag Mag) or Alnico V.

Comment

Comment

Here's an old ad listing it:

Old Duncan ad

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              Here's an old ad listing it:

Old Duncan ad
              Wow! Awesome work finding that old ad. Mystery solved!

Comment

I just bought a guitar on ebay that has these in it. They sound like full PAF pickups to me with alnico V, not strat like. Are they supposed to sound like a strat? Here is a pick, are these the same you're talking about?

Last edited by indeedido; 09-19-2013, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Last edited by indeedido; 09-19-2013, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by indeedido View Post
                    Did you try running them single coil ?
                    sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                    - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

I think they supposed to sound strat like only when split.

Comment

That would make sense. They're hooked up standard in a Les Paul. I've got some MJ wound Jimmy Page's I'm going to drop in. I was surprised they sounded as good as they did.

Comment

It's a flat-poled predecessor to the Stag Mag. I wish they still offered them as a standard production pickup. The vintage Strat stagger is retarded (unless you use a wound G).
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Yep, Alnico 5 flat poles. The rod magnets also have the "bullseye" pattern on the top, so they look just like standard humbucker slugs.
                            I've had a couple "The Mag" pickups in the past and they're great. They're really bright in the bridge, but they're perfect in the neck: clean and no mud. Loud and clear, with the mids and lows pulled back. I have a Stag Mag and in the neck of a Strat, it was just terrible. I couldn't ever get a decent sound out of it and the staggered poles really screw up your string volume balance.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                              ...The vintage Strat stagger is retarded (unless you use a wound G).
                              Originally posted by SoundAt11 View Post
                              ... I couldn't ever get a decent sound out of it and the staggered poles really screw up your string volume balance.
                              I might be misinterpretting your statements, but: did you know that the Stag Mag's poles are adjustable? I own one and have done it.
                              Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 01-03-2014, 01:06 AM.
                              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Working...
                              X