X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying V pups- building the ultimate rawk beast

Opinions requested please....

I've got a Gibson Flying V '68 and it's super resonant and light with a nice hybrid 50s/60s neck profile.

The stock 496r/500t combo was too harsh and noisy (bridge especially) so I swapped to a vintage blues matched set of '59s in the bridge and neck positions. This combination is undoubtedly very good, particularly in the neck position.

However, with a Les Paul studio on the way I'll be sorted for vintage PAF type tones. I'd like to turn the Flying V into a metal monster for playing Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Iron Maiden type stuff.

IMO the 59 bridge pup just lacks the bite, chunk and articulation required for thrash/metal (I know Mark Morton may have used it etc but that's my experience so far, even with high gain Line 6 equipment).

What would you guys suggest for the bridge? I've considered the JB but reading on forums it may be a bit loose in the V.....

I'd keep the 59 neck as long as it balanced well enough with the new bridge pickup.

All suggestions welcome!
    Last edited by tinman1; 09-15-2013, 03:33 PM.

Re: Flying V pups- building the ultimate rawk beast

My initial response would be the jb. But since you have your doubts, possibly the distortion or custom. I have a jb in my explorer and I'm really happy with it. I did a mag swap just to customize a bit further but stock I was a big fan of it. Lowering the pickup will make it a bit tighter and clearer too.

Comment

First choice is the Distortion. Perfect for early 80's thrash stuff. However, it's very similar to the 500t, which you didn't like very much, so second choice is the Custom. It has a bit more beef to it, but is still really tight on the low end, and is particularly great at heavy rhythm stuff.

Also, don't discredit the Distortion neck. You might be surprised.

Comment

Custom and '59N would probably give you what you want.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Di'Marzio Super Distortions, neck and bridge. They sound awesome as a pair in a pointy guitar. Install coil splitting switches and you get very good hot single coil tones as well (basically like SDS-1 single coils).
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 09-15-2013, 01:06 PM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I have 3 Vs, about to be 4, and all are used for metal. I've used a 500t, Evolution, Super Distortion, Distortion, Jazz bridge, and an EMG 81. For what you're describing I'd go with the Duncan Distortion. It just sounds great. I have a Custom in an explorer and it sounds good too, but for a fire breathing metal monster you should definitely check out the DD.
            Quality riffs in about a minute...
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Gravitating towards the JB for Maiden and Megadeth but the DD for Metallica and Slayer. I'll also recommend you look ito the alternative 8 which is pretty cool. I like the JB's lead sound better but the DD's rhythm better.

My guitarist and I are getting a pickup here when the time is right that takes the best aspects of the JB the DD and the Dimebucker and throws them together. Tight big bottom chunk of the DD, Vocal like mids and highs of the JB, Dimebucker's design for less string pull and even magnetic field for more natural harmonics/sustain and consistent bends. Keeping it at the JB's output MAYBE a bit less to keep versatility and dynamics present enough. Also thinking of slightly mismatched coils to open it up the top end and harmonic response a little more. It's going to be on the brighter and tighter side of things but still able to flow. Like on the tone chart we're thinking B/M/T 5/7/9 maybe A5 magnet around 16k 44 gauge wire, resonance peak somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5. Khz about the same.

If you have the money for the custom shop you can go ahead and use the idea if you want, because we also want the ultimate metal/hard rock bridge pickup in terms of tonal flexibility and response. He basically wanted Dimebag, Megadeth, Jake E. Lee, and Van Halen in one pickup. He's the only guitarist in our band so he needs something equally suited for rhythm and lead and won't overpower a high gain amp but will still drive a vintage one.
              Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 09-16-2013, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
                I have a Custom in an explorer and it sounds good too, but for a fire breathing metal monster you should definitely check out the DD.
                Thanks for all the responses guys, great food for thought. I like Duncan pickups so am gravitating towards either the Custom or Distortion. The Custom might win for versatility.

What are the Distortion guys using in the neck? Would a 59n be too underpowered to match it?

Comment

Originally posted by EET_FUK View Post
                  Also, don't discredit the Distortion neck. You might be surprised.
                  I second that. I love my distortion neck pickup.
                  Originally posted by Rockstar216
                  Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Here's another vote for a Duncan Custom.

Comment

Originally posted by tinman1 View Post
                      What are the Distortion guys using in the neck? Would a 59n be too underpowered to match it?
                      i use it with a 59. no issues at all.
                      Quality riffs in about a minute...
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

The alt 8 is a great pickup, for rhythm. Really big and tight with good cut. I thought it lacked in the lead area vs the jb. If you want to go that route I have one I'm wanting to get rid of.

Comment

duncan custom

Comment

DD. The neck is probably best with a A2 PAF.

Comment

I love the Custom. And I think it's less picky about which guitar houses it than the Distortion. I love the Distortion in my PRS, but it was not good in my Les Paul. I have yet to try a guitar with the Custom I did not like.

Comment

Working...
                              X