Need help on finding a better bridge PU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on finding a better bridge PU

Ok so I have a schecter solo-6 floyd rose guitar that doesn't sound good in the bridge position. The guitar is mahogony body rosewood fret board. It came with emg's but I don't want active pu's. The problem that I'm have with this guitar is every pu I try just sounds kinda flat and or dull to me. I'm assumung this has to do with the floyd rose trem. I installed a big brass sustain block, which helped allittle. I also added a trem block/stop, which also helped allittle more, but still sounds kinda flat and dull. Pu's I've tried have been jb, custom, C5, C8, C/jb a5, a8, and ceramic hybrid. I'm wanting a pu that will be good for stuff ranging from motley crue to more modern metal (thick and tight but still bright). I have to say the jb sounded the best to me but the lows were just to flubby for what I want.

What do you guys think? Maybe DD's? Or ?????

Thanks Big Kurka
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
    Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
    Boss GT-10
    Rocktron Velocity 300
    Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
    Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
    AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

Re: Need help on finding a better bridge PU

Yep. DD.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

After trying all those PU's, maybe it's the guitar and not the PU's.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
        +1000. The elephant sitting in the room...

I would add that it's probably the amp+rig but it might also be the amp+rig+guitar

Every one of those pickups has the goods to achieve AWESOME tone.

Most likely have a dead piece of mahogany... I highly doubt that Schecter hand selected the billets for the best tone.

Maybe the benchmark shouldn't be Motley Crue? Mick Mars always had the worst guitar tone.
        Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

I was afraid one of you guys were going to say that. That sucks because it is a really nice looking guitar.

Well I'm not going to give up on it quite yet. I have a DD set in another guitar that I think I'll swap in and give it try.
          It's kinda funny because the neck pu sounds really good compared to the bridge. It's an 59/jazz A4 hybrid with shorter screws under the wound strings.

@Zen I'm 99% sure it's not my amp/rig setup just because I have several other guitars that don't has this problem or any other simiular problems, but there is that 1% that you may be correct, although I hope not.

Thanks for the replies.
          Last edited by big kurka; 09-19-2013, 05:44 PM.
          There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
          Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
          Boss GT-10
          Rocktron Velocity 300
          Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
          Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
          AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

Comment

That guitar is simply begging for an A8 bridge p'up.

As you already have an A4 neck, that sound great, what further proof do you need?

Either a Custom or a '59/Custom Hybrid are the most likely candidates.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
              That guitar is simply begging for an A8 bridge p'up.

As you already have an A4 neck, that sound great, what further proof do you need?

Either a Custom or a '59/Custom Hybrid are the most likely candidates.

HTH,
              He tried a C8 in it... and a JB8. Its in his first post.
              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I'm wondering whether something with a little less out put might be in order - dial it back a little. How about a Demon or something in that kind of ball park. If you've got something to hand to try it with, throw something more in the PAF output range into it, even if only to test the theory.
                Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
                  I'm wondering whether something with a little less out put might be in order - dial it back a little. How about a Demon or something in that kind of ball park. If you've got something to hand to try it with, throw something more in the PAF output range into it, even if only to test the theory.
                  Custom and JB were flat and dull? It's the guitar (or your ears are broke...)

That said I'm with Chris here. Try a Demon if you are taking a last chance... go low output.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

First thing I thought.

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                    He tried a C8 in it... and a JB8. Its in his first post.
                    oh SNAP!
                    Last edited by darthphineas; 09-20-2013, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Either the distortion or the Black Winter will fix you right up brother.

If you want to compare less desirable tone guitars, I have a Distortion in a Hello Kitty Squire strat and it sounds beyond sick.

I'm also playing through six Mesa/ Boogies....but....I still have faith in the Distortion.

Good luck with your search.

What kind of amp do you have?? When you try the new pickups, take your axe to a local music shop and try it through a couple of amps.

Fix you right up.
                      For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Which Floyd is that? The official Floyd Rose Special saddles are a zinc alloy. Maybe replace them with OFR saddles.

The only other thing I could think of... What strings do you use?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4
                        Nope...

Comment

All of you guys are giving awesome feedback for him. Kudoz!
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking a Full Shred set. I have a Schecter that was kind of dark and lifeless with the Duncan Designed HB-102 pickups in it. The Full Shreds brought it to life.

Also, you did change the pots when you switched from active to passive pickups, didn't you?
                            Last edited by JOLLY; 09-20-2013, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                              Also, you did change the pots when you switched from active to passive pickups, didn't you?
                              excellent point

Comment

Working...
                              X