Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help on finding a better bridge PU

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
    Also, you did change the pots when you switched from active to passive pickups, didn't you?
    +1000! That would kill the tone of any passive pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
      Maybe the benchmark shouldn't be Motley Crue? Mick Mars always had the worst guitar tone.
      What?

Comment

none of those pickups should sound flat or dull. I doubt its just a "dead" piece of wood in that guitar either.. The pots are a good suggestion. You may want active pickups too. Maybe you just dont like the sound of passives...

Comment

If the OP didn't change the pots when he went from active to passive, he'd be complaining more than just "kinda flat or dull". And he'd really be ragging on the neck pup.

But, I suppose it IS a possibility.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Hello everyone. Thanks for all your replies. To set a few things straight, yes I did change the pots (500k cts pots). The floyd rose is a floyd rose original according to schecter. I'm using earnie ball 11's tuned down 1/2 step. Also to clairify alittle, the jb pu did sound good, it was just really flubby sounding. Also the more I think back about trying all those different pu's, I think the term dull/flat might not be accurate. A better way to describe my problem would be lifeless I think. Kinda like having old strings even though they were brand new.

I have a DD standard set (not trem spaced) in another guitar that I'm going to swap the pu out and try in this guitar to hear what happens. Unfortunately it might be a few weeks before I can do this.

Thanks for all your help/ suggestions everyone. I'll report back after the pu swap.
            There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
            Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
            Boss GT-10
            Rocktron Velocity 300
            Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
            Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
            AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

Comment

do you usually use 11s on a Eb tuning? also, was the amp only tweaked in for the EMGs? or is it possible you're ears are used to hearing the EMGs through this guitar and aren't used to the passives just yet?

Comment

Full shreds do help a bit with lifeless guitars. And they definitely help with flubbyness.

Comment

@Darthphineas I'm pretty sure they are 11's. I've been trying alot of different things with this guitar over the last year and half(different tunings and string guages). At one point I had 12's on it for a week or two, Ithink I was trying C standard tuning. With standard tuning I use 10's. As for the emg's that came in the guitar they litterally only got used for about 2hrs. Those were the only active pu's I ever used, and didn't want them, but it was the only way to get the guitar.

@Juanhanglo I'm going to try a DD first that I have in another guitar to see if it really helps before I buy anything. If the DD does help I'm going to have to choose between the fullshred, demon, DD or BW. Money is alot tighter lately.
                  There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
                  Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
                  Boss GT-10
                  Rocktron Velocity 300
                  Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
                  Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
                  AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

Comment

Working...
                  X