banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three double thick ceramic magnets in a JB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Three double thick ceramic magnets in a JB?

Have you even tried it yourself Darth? I have. Yawn all you want, doesn't change the fact that the reported results are usually exhaggerated one way or the other from my own experience.

Comment

actually, I should apologize, as that's wasn't directed at you. my bad.

it's actually directed at how I've finally gotten bored with trying to give a $hit about a company that won't step up and clear up these sorts of things for themselves. it really doesn't matter one way or the other. it's also directed at other elements of what goes on with SD that are best not discussed here.

and yes, I have tried it.

Comment

DD and JB are similar but not the same. Different EQ curve but still similar as far as the actual pickup goes when the magnet is not involved. JB is hotter than the DD to me. JB stock is aggressive as hell for an A5 humbucker. DD A5 is not the same. Anybody that has tried them both and has ears can verify this. I dont think SD gives a **** about clearing this issue up. They have never said they are the same. They clearly sell them as different pickups. BECAUSE THEY ARE!!! they CLEARLY dont hide the fact that the custom custom, custom 5 or duncan custom are all the same because they all have the same name with a variance. same pickup, different mag. They dont call it the JB plus or JB Minus or whatever. Its the JB and its the Duncan Distortion. Clearly different pickups. I wonder where this rumor started that they are the same...

Comment

Originally posted by dvanburen View Post
          DD and JB are similar but not the same. Different EQ curve but still similar as far as the actual pickup goes when the magnet is not involved. JB is hotter than the DD to me. JB stock is aggressive as hell for an A5 humbucker. DD A5 is not the same. Anybody that has tried them both and has ears can verify this. I dont think SD gives a **** about clearing this issue up. They have never said they are the same. They clearly sell them as different pickups. BECAUSE THEY ARE!!! they CLEARLY dont hide the fact that the custom custom, custom 5 or duncan custom are all the same because they all have the same name with a variance. same pickup, different mag. They dont call it the JB plus or JB Minus or whatever. Its the JB and its the Duncan Distortion. Clearly different pickups. I wonder where this rumor started that they are the same...
          Until recently the Jazz and A2P were purported to be different winds then recently Evan made the comment that they were the same. Its never been said in duncan literature that they were the same not once not ever. So just because they did it with the custom doesnt mean they do it with all their pickups that are the same wind. Its called proprietary information they are allowed to have trade secrets just because they wont clear it up doesnt mean that they are or arent the same or different. The premise of your argument is false.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

DD and JB are similar but not the same.
            agreed. the models are the same. in as much as the Custom is not the same as the CC and is not the same as the C5. what makes all the 'Custom' line different is the same thing that makes the JB and the DD different.

I dont think SD gives a **** about clearing this issue up.
            agreed. no doubt people will always see the argument and buy a JB and/or a DD and try to figure it out for themselves. they key is, people will buy. and it doesn't cost them a dime to let this discussion go on and on, as long is there is a discussion going on.

Comment

Personally I don't give a s*** if the JB and the DD is the same winds or not, I'm just curious about what I should expect.

I'm hoping I wind up with a pickup that is tight, bright, and has a nice midrange growl.
              Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 09-26-2013, 05:14 PM.
              Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                I'm hoping I wind up with a pickup that is tight, bright, and has a nice midrange growl.

you're in Iowa? for a pickup that is tight and bright with a nice midrange growl, look up Cindy Tuttle. she went to Abraham Lincoln HS in Council Bluffs.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                  you're in Iowa? for a pickup that is tight and bright with a nice midrange growl, look up Cindy Tuttle. she went to Abraham Lincoln HS in Council Bluffs.

Comment

Didn't have time this weekend to get those magnet swapped, because working on the Bronco took longer than I wanted it to. So hopefully, sometime this week.......

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                      edit: pretty much.

first, what is it about the JB that does and does not work for you? you really need to start with an idea of what it is you want to accomplish.

edit: someone with accurate knowledge stepped up and confirmed to me that the JB and DD and Invader are in fact the same coils and the mags are the difference. given the scope of the information and other factors that may or may not be related (that include just not caring any more), I won't be defending the "JB wind is not a DD wind" in the future.
                      I thought Frank Falbo said that they're close but not quite the same.
                      Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                        I thought Frank Falbo said that they're close but not quite the same.
                        I'd put the product insight of my source on equal footing.

Comment

Working...
                        X