banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which bridge pickup for a big rhythm sound and some nice sustain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which bridge pickup for a big rhythm sound and some nice sustain?

Hi guys, I'm looking for a big 80s hardrock rhythm sound, with some nice sustain to go with it. The pu will go in a firebird with a thin mahogany body and maple neck, to a jvm210 halfstack. I've looked at the aph1, aph2, screamin demon, custom, tonezone but don't know which one to get, and I'll be buying from Vietnam so I can't actually try any of them out myself. I play alot of guns n roses and sometimes greenday too, mostly rhythm stuff.
    All advices and recommendations are welcomed
    Follow me on instagram for more guitar pics!

Re: which bridge pickup for a big rhythm sound and some nice sustain?

Originally posted by gottalovethe80s View Post
    Hi guys, I'm looking for a big 80s hardrock rhythm sound, with some nice sustain to go with it. The pu will go in a firebird with a thin mahogany body and maple neck, to a jvm210 halfstack. I've looked at the aph1, aph2, screamin demon, custom, tonezone but don't know which one to get, and I'll be buying from Vietnam so I can't actually try any of them out myself. I play alot of guns n roses and sometimes greenday too, mostly rhythm stuff.
    Are you looking for a set or just bridge?

I'm going to guess the firebird is all mahogany, so I'm going to say that depending on your tastes Alnico 2 pups might be a little too mushy in the bass. Many guys lean toward A5s in all mahogany guitars...so that's going to be the part you're going to have to figure out. The Alnico 2 Pro and 59 are going to sound big but is still going to have a classic vibe. The 59 might be a bit better suited for an all mahogany guitar. If you want more of an 80s big hair, big rigs, and big sound you'll probably want to go with a hotter pickup. A Distortion (Rhoades and early Lynch) in that setting might work out for you really well. For a little more classic tone I'd check out the Custom 5. The Full shred would be a good option if you want a little more edge to Custom 5.

Hope that helps.

Luke
    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by gottalovethe80s View Post
      Why not the A2Pro? That's close to what slash uses, I think it'll be perfect for rhythm tones. Anything higher than an A2 magnet will be brighter/punchier. I'm a big fan of A2 magnets myself. I'd suggest you look up some videos on youtube to get a rough idea on say a pearly gates or an a2pro. Weaker magnet = more character of the guitar's wood, that was part of the original paf pu concept.

Here's a great write up on the custom custom (which is one of my favorites), this pu can do a real nice Slash tone, and can handle high gain with some meaty power chords.
      The Seymour Duncan Custom Custom is my favorite bridge pickup — beefier than a standard PAF style, yet not so huge in output that it compresses everything.

In addition, I STRONGLY recommend you read about the differences in pu magnets (unless your familiar already).
      Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

Comment

Slash also uses LPs. That's a mahogany back with a maple top.

For all mahogany LukeDuke is right. Something with an A5 like a JB or maybe a ceramic like a DD. Full Shred is a great choice for mahogany.

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad

Comment

thanks for the input, guys. after some reading I'm kinda leaning towards the aph1 which is what slash used to use and the dimarzio super distortion which seems a tad too hot but is favoured by alot of people. which should I go for?
          Follow me on instagram for more guitar pics!

Comment

custom

Comment

Firebirds can be pretty bright especially with a maple neck I imagine...I'd vote Custom Custom, it'll do vintage/classic rock through to '80's rock, has loads of sustain and can definitely do Slash and the raw Green Day sounds mentioned as well.
              Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
              Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
              Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
              Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Custom. Absolutely.

Comment

I have to agree with the A2P recs. The thinner Mahogany, and Maple neck will make that sound great! A2P = BAss + Mids and fat highs, so in the bridge, it is awesome. If you dig Slash, hard to argue with it.

I don't see the need for a big output humbucker with that amp. If you did, however, I'd go with a Custom. Super Tight and big bottom thump. Definitely a higher output choice, however. Custom is my "go to" 80's pup. I'm a Les PAul w/ Maple neck guy. The ToneZone will also give you a mega thick rhythm sound as well, but way less personality than either an A2P or a Custom.

Remember, Duncan has a 30 day exchange policy....think about it.
                  Last edited by Aceman; 11-19-2013, 06:15 PM.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Custom for sure!
                    http://www.lonephantom.com
                    http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Remember, Duncan has a 30 day exchange policy....think about it.
                      Get the JB and you won't need that policy.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

The JB sounds horrible in mahogany. Waaay to muddy. A2P or Custom Custom is what I would go with. In that rig, you could probably even get away with less, like a 59 or a PG.
                        Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                        Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                        Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                        Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                        Line 6 Helix
                        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                          The JB sounds horrible in mahogany. Waaay to muddy.
                          ^^^ Personal opinion. ^^^

Have had a JB in four different mahogany guitars with no such issues. And just the opposite with A2 based pickups, like the ones suggested.

Comment

59/custom hybrid gets my vote
                            -IM

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                              ^^^ Personal opinion. ^^^

Have had a JB in four different mahogany guitars with no such issues. And just the opposite with A2 based pickups, like the ones suggested.

I just find the JB really shines in something like an ash or alder bodied guitar. My lead player just got a Strat that he rebuilt and put a Jb in the bridge and it sounds fantastic.
                              Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                              Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                              Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                              Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                              Line 6 Helix
                              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Working...
                              X