Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dimarzio Super Distortion users

Originally posted by Securb View Post
    I hav eone in my Telecaster I love it. It is a great classic rock pickup the review is here.

http://www.tmrzoo.com/2013/48280/rev...get-any-hotter
    Great review!! I did not know they made the Super D in single coil form!

I just did some research and found out some very embarrassing news... after starting this thread it turns out my Ibanez actually has a Dimarzio Tone zone not a Super D.... I got it used and was told it was a Super D but after doing some research on the pickup output and look of the pole pieces its a tone zone!

I feel stupid but this thread may live on !
    Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
    Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
    Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

I have heard players of all styles use it. A friend of mine plays mostly clean jazz and uses one with a Bluesbucker neck in his Gibson ES335. I think it's one of the most amazing pickups you can buy because it has been widely used for so long and it never goes out of style. It just has the right amount of everything, it cleans up fairly well with the guitar volume, and the output is very manageable by adjusting the pickup height without fear of losing something in the tone. It's relatively dark yet somehow has plenty of attitude and bite, and it hardly ever gets harsh. There are just some pickups which are that good.

Comment

really ? I always thought jazz players used low output humbuckers but I guess it makes sense to use a high output for a thicker sound
        Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
        Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

Originally posted by SongsForTheDeaf View Post
          really ? I always thought jazz players used low output humbuckers but I guess it makes sense to use a high output for a thicker sound
          Yeah that's what surprised me, but he told me that he got the idea from another Jazz player so I'm assuming that it's a rather common pickup for that style of music. Then you find guys on the Dimarzio website who play all that jazz stuff and they're using high output pickups. I like the way it sounds when you use a high output pickup on a totally clean amp. They have more girth, punch, and seem to cut through a little more. I have a D-Sonic which sounds fantastic with at totally clean amp like the Port City Pearl.

Comment

Al diMeola used the Super D in Les Pauls to play fusion jazz. Alan Holdsworth's signature Duncan is based on the JB so not all jazz is played on low output pickups, nor is all jazz music mellow.

I just did some research and found out some very embarrassing news... after starting this thread it turns out my Ibanez actually has a Dimarzio Tone zone not a Super D.... I got it used and was told it was a Super D but after doing some research on the pickup output and look of the pole pieces its a tone zone!

I feel stupid but this thread may live on !
            LOL The TZ is a great pickup for a guitar with a case of the way too brites. So is the Super D eq wise but I can still hear that ceramic cut so the alnico V TZ is a great alternative. The TZ has got enourmous bottom that is hard to get with anico II such as a Custom Custom in such cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post

LOL The TZ is a great pickup for a guitar with a case of the way too brites. So is the Super D eq wise but I can still hear that ceramic cut so the alnico V TZ is a great alternative. The TZ has got enourmous bottom that is hard to get with anico II such as a Custom Custom in such cases.
              ahaha yeah i'm embarassed!

the TZ has ALOT of bottom like you mentioned and I had the Custom custom aswell in a godin LG before but found it too sparkly/thin

Love this tone zone , I will admit I always thought that Seymour Duncan was the be all end all of pickups but this dimarzio might be my favorite humbucker so far, sorry Seymour!

Comment

The Tone Zone rules
                -IM

Comment

could not agree more, never thought I would use a high output humbucker in my main guitar but it sounds so full!

Comment

I have an old Super D that is not wax potted. It has a beautiful open airy sound to it but you do need to be careful with the gain or you will get some feedback.

I have this pickup in a Tele now and it sounds great clean or with the crunch on.

Comment

Originally posted by Inder_Cine_Mann View Post
                      I love the Super D. I have one in my Iceman paired with an Air Norton neck
                      This is a great combo. I'm old school about including the SD at the bridge, but very much new school when it comes to the neck---love the clarity and smoothness of the Air Norton!! Never muddy or flabby.
                      Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
                      Marshall JVM410H
                      Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                      Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                      ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
                      Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
                      Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
                      Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
                      Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

I have one on this and it is smokin.
                        https://www.rockstockpedals.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X