Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHB-3 EMTY in a baritone?

And here goes post #1...

So, I'm thinking about getting a baritone in the future (6 string like the PRS Mushok or 7 string like a Schecter Hellraiser or several Agiles), still unsure), and I'm trying to decide on what pickups to get. I was thinking either DiMarzio or EMG, but I want to try to give Duncan a try.

I want to try and grab a set of EMTYs, since I'm a fan of actives, and they're designed for low tunings. So, I'm wondering how they'd sound in a baritone?

My backup choices would either be the Distortion or the SH-5 Custom.

Re: AHB-3 EMTY in a baritone?

Originally posted by spiffypizzazz View Post
    And here goes post #1...

So, I'm thinking about getting a baritone in the future (6 string like the PRS Mushok or 7 string like a Schecter Hellraiser or several Agiles), still unsure), and I'm trying to decide on what pickups to get. I was thinking either DiMarzio or EMG, but I want to try to give Duncan a try.

I want to try and grab a set of EMTYs, since I'm a fan of actives, and they're designed for low tunings. So, I'm wondering how they'd sound in a baritone?

My backup choices would either be the Distortion or the SH-5 Custom.
    For purposes of pickup selection:
    Low tunings performance = baritone performance
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Edit: Actually, I just-rewatched Keith Merrow's videos, and I'm really digging the Distortion and EMTYs. Hard to decide which to go with, though.
      Last edited by spiffypizzazz; 12-02-2013, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I have the PRS Mushok sig and the stock pickups are actually pretty damn great. I wouldn't go into it assuming you will make a pup change before you even get it. For one, maybe the guitar doesnt work well with whatever pickup you decide on.

I suggest:

Waiting until you have the guitar, and have played it enough that you know its general tone pretty well

Decide what it is you like and don't like about the sound.

Assess whether or not you could acheive the sound you're looking for with a pickup swap.

Look for pickups that will give you what you're looking for.

Again I can only speak for the PRS. It sounds damn mean right now, but I can't really say if you'd be happy with it or not. I just think its silly to look for pickups for a guitar you don't even have yet. But to each their own.
        Originally posted by Rockstar216
        Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

That's true, but I like to think ahead.

Plus, I did try one awhile back, and remember not being too impressed with the bridge pickup.

Comment

I can dig it. I play mine through a Mesa Triple Recto or a 5150 so maybe that's where I am getting the ballsy sound from.
            Originally posted by Rockstar216
            Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Originally posted by Nacho8807 View Post
              I can dig it. I play mine through a Mesa Triple Recto or a 5150 so maybe that's where I am getting the ballsy sound from.
              That "presence" knob on 5150 family amps might as well be called "active emg emulator for crappy pickups"
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

And idea not unlike making a Bugatti Veyron using fused V10's instead of V8's... (Leave money out of it - go for awesome.)
                Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

If you go with the PRS, in my experience (3 dif ones I played), that guitar is pretty "hollow" sounding -- so I'd go with a pickup that has a lot of mids to help fill that in (ie: Distortion)

Comment

Either one would be a good fit. Personally, I like the nuances of the passive Distortion for most applications, but the EMTY set is downright vicious in a baritone.

Comment

I decided I may just go with the Distortion first. If I don't like it, I'll return it and try the EMTY. From what I've heard from it, it seems to fit the bill, though.
                      Last edited by spiffypizzazz; 12-05-2013, 06:46 AM.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of the Full Shred, you don't really lose the character of the pickup as you go to lower tunings and it has great treble, very tight. Many of the SD stock guitars that are baritone feature it. The Keith 6-string pup comparisons are all done at Bb. The EMTY and Distortion will both sound good in a Baritone.

Comment

I tried both TB-5 and EMTY on a 25.5 scale guitar tuning to bA. The lowest string sounds clearer with EMTY than with TB-5.
                          Slay, slayer, and the slayest!

Comment

Working...
                          X