Strat hard rock pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat hard rock pickups

Hi ! Recently i've bought a new strat. I really like listen to Jimi Henderix , Deep Purple , Rainbow , The Rolling Stones , Led Zeppelin. So standard pickups are not very hot , so i need pickups with warmer , brighter , more output sound. I dont like SSL-4 bec. they have very hot and Lace Sensor Gold is very bright!
    Last edited by xMestro; 12-14-2013, 11:39 AM.

Re: Strat hard rock pickups

up

Comment

up

Comment

I don't have a ton of experience with strat pick ups, but for hard rock and a bit higher output, the SSL-5 (either regular or noise cancelling) is generally highly regarded. Are you looking to stay single coil, or go for a mini-hum?

Comment

Dimarzio FS1. First and still the best.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff5 View Post
            Are you looking to stay single coil, or go for a mini-hum?

This...tell us if you're looking for a hot single coil sound or want something more like a traditional humbucker? I'll tell you right now the DiMarzio "Area" series of pickups are worth a glance either way!

Comment

I want bright , high output , warm and hot pickup with noises ( not much ). and good clean . hum or single coil ... i dont care

Comment

a duncan hot rails single coil sized humbucker does exactly what u want. i know all about this sheeit and what ur lookin to hear. add a mini toggle for the coil split. you can then bend and sustain without cutting out (read wail) have a heavy tone, and be able to go back to decent cleans with a flick of the switch... the other suggestions don"t have the tone u want. don't get areas, u'll get tired of the tone quickly. just trust me. use .010 gauge strings. let me know i was right.
                Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

that's the link, listen to the vids, skip to 2/3ds through each. you can easily get a more non-strat sound than these guys, you're hearing heavy eq/fx and they try hard to keep a fender sound. A David gilmour-ish. Floyd tone is actually easier to achieve..., as well as led Paul type and ibanez tones. just get the rails, very versatile, hot, warm, bright, sustain. position the rail up as close to the high e as you can, but back it off away from the low e string side until its balanced the way you like it.
                Last edited by shawn7oh; 12-15-2013, 09:48 AM. Reason: added Duncan pup link, and setup suggestion
                jackrabbit-eared ~^~ ~^~ Spock!

Comment

Right. So the thing about the QP is that it has both a high wind and the big magnets. The SSL-5/6 only has the hotter wind and might be more agreeable, but it will still hum a lot, and still compresses a lot.

The hot rails are definitely worth a try.

Comment

Ok , will try .

Comment

you'll freak in love them. put in the mini switch, make it single, humbucker, or single, humbucker, out of phase or series/parallel, look up some wiring diagrams...
                      jackrabbit-eared ~^~ ~^~ Spock!

Comment

I liked my ssl6 and it fits your criteria. But I use high gain amp and it was too noisey for me
                        Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                        http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

I'd get that custom stack pickup based on the ssl5 then wire a push pull pot to split it. Then my between bridge and middle position still sounds like it should, I have access to standard strat bridge tone AND a humcanceling by powerful strat tone which can even act as an onboard boost for solo and yet another position without hum for a strat.

Comment

When using Strats, Hendrix and Blackmore (in the early days) were using relatively low output single coils into very loud amps. If you want single coil looks and tone I suggest the STK S4;I play Deep Purple stuff with these all the time. I perceive a little higher output from these than an average Strat single coil but not a whole lot. The best thing is you can use quite a bit of gain with these and they are still quiet. I also like the YJM Fury pups for Deep Purple material but they sound thicker than the STK S4 and not very Strat like in a classic sense. If you want fatter and thicker though the Fury works great for that material.
                            2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                            1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Single sized? Hmm, why not the small versions of the big boys, lots to choose from:

SD JBjr - popular choice
                              SD Lil Demon - seems coo.
                              DMZ SuperDistortion S - seems to have been tweaked to better pair with strat design & materials, good reviews
                              DMZ Tone Zone S - no clue, just know they have em
                              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                              X