Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just spent a couple hours researching (Wilde) Bill Lawrence Pickups

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
    I love Bill & Becky Lawrence pickups! The best combo I had was an L450 neck and L500XL bridge. The L450, which is rehoused in the plastic tub like the L500, is now labeled the Custom series L600. If you like the sound of your guitar unplugged and just want that amplified, Bill's pickups are great. However, if you have a dark guitar that you want brighter, for example, Bill's pickups won't work for you. He's all about transparency in the sense of letting the voice of the guitar come through, colorfree. Some people like that other pickups, like Duncans, impart a specific tone and thus have character. Bill specifically designed his pickups to not change or color your tone.

^You pretty much described his pups to a T. Thats what really has me so intrigued by his designs is that they are super clear and transparent and every frequency is their with no muddiness. I've listened to sound clips between the Duncan Distortion and the 500XL and although I think the DD is a bit hotter it's not as clear as the 500 and every note on every string has better definition or better emphasis on the fundamental note better then the DD. I like clarity above everything and Bill delivers on that.

They aren't as difficult to take apart as people think. I have a Dimebucker and L500XL taken apart. The only thing to note is that the magnets are not standard humbucker sized.
    I wouldn't want to even try and mess with one of his pups. He used to use ceramics but switched over to A5s. The BLUSA still use ceramics I think.
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
      They aren't as difficult to take apart as people think. I have a Dimebucker and L500XL taken apart. The only thing to note is that the magnets are not standard humbucker sized.
      I saw that someone on here either had a BnB torn down, or a Dimebucker, cant remem exactly...
      I have a BnB L500XL that I think one of the coil wires got broken or something, so Im going to try and dissect that and see whats up with it. I spoke to Becky about it about 6 or 7 years ago, and she said to send it in and she'd see whats up, but I was working out of state, so it slipped my mind. I may try to contact her to see if she will still take it in and check it out, as opposed to me rendering it totally useless...

I have 3 L500XL's that are not being used, so if I did mess it up, it wouldn't ruin my day really. But I should just have her look at it, and worst case, I could trade it in for an L500L, which I don't have any of....
      87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
        He used to use ceramics but switched over to A5s. The BLUSA still use ceramics I think.
        That's what I understand as well. That's another reason I was contemplating a magnet swap...
        87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
          You could try shooting Becky an email to ask her. Or if you don't mind mixing and matching diff brands, you could try a Seymour Hotrails...atleast you'd have blades...Id prob go for L45 singles if it were me...

*edit:
          I just saw you said H-S-H, in that case perhaps Cool Rails, if you were to mix/match, but Id still prob opt for L45's just to keep them all Lawrences...

*edit again:
          If I remember correctly, some where on the BillnBecky forum, someone listed the output in Kohms, but the only ones I know off hand are:
          The L-500 comes in four versions:
          C = 2.8 Henry = 4.5K
          R = 4.8 Henry = 7.1K
          L = 6.8 Henry = 11.8K
          XL = 9.2 Henry = 13.3K
          I never saw the chart that related to K but it gives a better Idea somewhat. I would prefer to keep all three pups BLs because from what I've read they are so different from other pups that you have to EQ your amp different from what you would set for other humbuckers and also they really show the flaws and muddiness other pups have so ill just keep it all uniform.
          WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
          The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

I have my rig setup for Lawrences and 1volume so I don't have a problem. In fact, I leave my amp alone even when I grab one of my guitars that have EMG's.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
              I wouldn't want to even try and mess with one of his pups. He used to use ceramics but switched over to A5s. The BLUSA still use ceramics I think.
              Yea, Bill uses an extra thick A5 while the Dimebucker (and presumably BLUSA) use a standard ceramic.

As for taking it apart, be patient and use heat. BLUSA fills the entire pickup with epoxy, which would be a mess to take apart, if even possible (I haven't tried yet). Bill uses tons of wax. The Dimebucker has a couple dabs of silicone.

Comment

I really like my L500XL and I've had one in my Jem for almost 10 years now.

Beautiful pickup.

Dime used to flip it in the bridge position. Did any of you guys ever try that?
                For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                  Dime used to flip it in the bridge position.
                  to no effect I might add

Comment

I think I've settled on which pups. I'm thinking a L-500 either the L or R model for the bridge, either a L-290 or L-298 for the middle single and a L-90 for the neck.
                    I also want to try this mod he sales called a Q-filter that replaces or goes along with the tone knob.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                      I was probably breeding my dog and hoping I didn't get caught.
                      Bestiality, eh? ...RAWK ON!
                      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I have a set of Bill and Becky pickups in an HSS strat that are very good. The HBer is a L465 or something. I don't remember the numbers. It has two screw coils and is kind of like a PAF on steriods. Word was getting out about this pickup being a good alternative to a PAF and ideal for rock and blues so Bill quit making it. It didn't fit his idea of transparency I guess.

I had a tragic e-mail exchange with Becky once which illustrates the degree of contention between BL USA and the real Bill. I mistakenly mentioned BL USA (got them mixed up) and she would not reply to any emails anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                          I have a set of Bill and Becky pickups in an HSS strat that are very good. The HBer is a L465 or something. I don't remember the numbers. It has two screw coils and is kind of like a PAF on steriods. Word was getting out about this pickup being a good alternative to a PAF and ideal for rock and blues so Bill quit making it. It didn't fit his idea of transparency I guess.

I had a tragic e-mail exchange with Becky once which illustrates the degree of contention between BL USA and the real Bill. I mistakenly mentioned BL USA (got them mixed up) and she would not reply to any emails anymore.
                          What you had was a L-945 which is now the L-610 model. Yea those are his closest PAF variant but better without the flaws of a PAF.

Comment

Working...
                          X