banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing EMG81 with passive, need: bigger bass, less (high) mids, clearer highs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing EMG81 with passive, need: bigger bass, less (high) mids, clearer highs.

I need a new bridge pickup for my LTD EC500. It is shaped like a Les Paul, but with a thinner mahogany body and has a 24 fret rosewood fretboard. It needs to be a backup guitar to my '79 Yamaha SG2000 for when my band is going to play its first couple of shows in a few months. The problem is that the EMG pickups in the LTD make it sound a lot different from the Yamaha and I need them to sound more similar in case the Yamaha fails mid show and I need to pickup the LTD.

The plan is to sell the EMG set and use that money to buy a new passive bridge pickup, so I can get closer to my sound and break even money wise. I have a Dimarzio Bluesbucker laying around for the neck position. Now I just need a new bridge pickup. They don't need to 'match' because I don't use the neck position much.

I recorded the dry sounds of both guitars to see what needs to be different compared to the EMG81. The Yamaha recording has a lot more bass, but the bass sounds big and clear. It has less mids than the EMG, but doesn't sound all that scooped, because it does have a lot of low mids. Both have ample highs, but the highs sound different. Quite clear and slightly smoothed on the top end on the Yamaha, but the highs on the EMG sound quite flat and hard. Contrary to what I expected, the Yamaha actually does not seem any lower in output than the EMG, but perhaps it just seems that way because of the big bass, which the EMG lacks.

So, who can recommend a pickup that can get my LTD to sound closer to my Yamaha? It doesn't need to sound 100% exactly the same, but I do want to get a lot closer than I am now. It seems like I need to look in the 'medium output' or 'vintage hot' area of pickups with big bass, flat or slightly scooped mids, clear highs and slightly smoothed top end (compared to an EMG81). Preferably passive, widely available (used) and in the Dimarzio/Duncan price range. Thanks!

Re: Replacing EMG81 with passive, need: bigger bass, less (high) mids, clearer highs.

Invader with hex polepieces.

Comment

Re: Replacing EMG81 with passive, need: bigger bass, less (high) mids, clearer highs.

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
      Invader with hex polepieces.
      Thanks, but where can I get hex poles that fit and in which way do the hex poles make it sound different from the regular Invader?

Comment

Pfff...no.

A8 PAF for similar output to EMG 81 (no strangely i am not in the least sh!tting you, shelve the invader and go try it), but bassier clearer and lower midspike than 81. Heck, just for mad output at classical even voicing. The trick?

Adjustment is crucial, move it towards strings until the obscene pull of the A8 physically makes the strings bend at an angle over its poles, then lower it gradually until the highest position in which string pull no longer causes side effects. Welcome to the sweet spot, where an A8 mag gives crushing output levels yet perfect clarity.

Btw, whats in the Yamaha thats so powerful? Aftermarkets or stock?
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

EMG 85
          "Scalloped & Stickered"
          A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
            Btw, whats in the Yamaha thats so powerful? Aftermarkets or stock?
            Yes, stock pickups. They're strange looking. I've never seen anything similar and I really can't find much information online about them, other then that they should have an alnico 5 magnet and have quite a high output. These guitars came out in the late 70s, so perhaps they're inspired by the higher output pickups that were coming out at that time by Dimarzio?

But like I said, it may only seem that the output is similar to the EMG, because it has more bass. The treble, on the other hand, is clear compared to the EMG, which sounds flat, hard and forward in the treble and high-mid department, has enough mids, but not boosted mids and really not much in the low end. I want to make the treble clearer/smoother and the bass bigger without sacrificing too much output.

I am okay with not getting there 100%. It would of course not even be possible because the construction of the guitars differs. I definitely can get closer than I can with the EMGs though.

Maybe I should ask a simpler question: which pickup has medium output, big bass, slightly scooped mids and clear but smooth highs?

Comment

Originally posted by Fuhgawz View Post
              Yes, stock pickups. They're strange looking. I've never seen anything similar and I really can't find much information online about them, other then that they should have an alnico 5 magnet and have quite a high output. These guitars came out in the late 70s, so perhaps they're inspired by the higher output pickups that were coming out at that time by Dimarzio?

But like I said, it may only seem that the output is similar to the EMG, because it has more bass. The treble, on the other hand, is clear compared to the EMG, which sounds flat, hard and forward in the treble and high-mid department, has enough mids, but not boosted mids and really not much in the low end. I want to make the treble clearer/smoother and the bass bigger without sacrificing too much output.

I am okay with not getting there 100%. It would of course not even be possible because the construction of the guitars differs. I definitely can get closer than I can with the EMGs though.

Maybe I should ask a simpler question: which pickup has medium output, big bass, slightly scooped mids and clear but smooth highs?
              Oh, they ARE from the same era and people after all :-)

Japanese did all the crazy mag swap tricks in the book back in the day. At the factory, back in the design phase, or in finishing stuff, to populate catalogues with more options. Some of those things hit amps like a freight train, but unlike Duncans or Dimarzio, would be much more evenly EQd. And being stock, not aftermarket, far better suited to the guitars they came in then the average upgrade done with SD or DMZ

Super 70 wasnt the only pickup to come with A8 or other interesting magnetic innovations - just the only A8 pup out of japan to come with A STICKER and an explanatory FLIER. Hence, down into memory it went.
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

try the lace finger burners, they supposed had a T-Tops main tone and response but with the grit of monsters like Invader or Dirty Fingers, and less noise than most passives, lace is doing really cool pickups, if i played it, really not, but a friend who is produccer and worked with a guitarrist that had lace pickups in some axes, tell me to try them, so i ordered the lace Deathbucker (the guitarrist that he worked with used to had deathbucker set on a king v and finger burners in epi explorer)

Comment

Originally posted by EDX View Post
                  try the lace finger burners, they supposed had a T-Tops main tone and response but with the grit of monsters like Invader or Dirty Fingers, and less noise than most passives, lace is doing really cool pickups.
                  Thanks. I hadn't considered Lace, but it seems like some of my favorite guitarist are using them. Plus, the all black look of them is the same as the EMG's, which actually looks great on this guitar. Too bad there aren't that many user reviews about them though.

Comment

Bulldog Black Label
                    Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
                    WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
                    http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Originally posted by Toe-Knee View Post
                      Bulldog Black Label
                      Thanks, but again, not much info online. I'm hoping to find something in the Duncan/Dimarzio/Gibson range, so it's easier to buy (and sell) used. I have since compared the EMG81 to a Dimarzio Super Distortion. It's in a Gibson SG, which is also a thinner solid mahogany body with a rosewood fretboard, like the LTD. The SD has the amount of lows that I'm after, but is also has too much fuzzy sounding (low) mids and the highs are too raspy.

So, what's like a clearer sounding Super Distortion?
                      Last edited by Fuhgawz; 12-24-2013, 09:46 AM.

Comment

If you want a fuller tone, I've heard the Duncan Distortions are excellent and more full-toned. The Invader also comes in pretty well regarded, has output nearing actives, and still has more "meat".
                        I'm not the greatest person to ask, but it looks like your main culprits are doing holiday business. SD has some excellent tools to sniff out the sound you like.
                        Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

The EQ section on the chart will probably be what you're looking for
                        Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

If you've got the time, listen to them.

Again, there's some pretty intense pickupologists on this forum, so hang out a bit.
                        Originally posted by Funkfingers
                        Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Dimarzio Breed neck model used in the bridge, maybe an AT1 or the new Transitions (Steve Lukather sig) which are supposed to be a higher output 36th ann. Paf.?
                          Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
                          Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
                          Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
                          Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
                            EMG 85
                            I second this! My Charvel superstrat sounded a bit thin with the 81 and the 85 was much fuller, but still has absolute clarity.
                            Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
                            Marshall JVM410H
                            Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                            Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                            ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
                            Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
                            Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
                            Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
                            Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

I could have sworn this was a Seymour Duncan forum and he asked for Seymour Duncan suggestions. Come on, guys.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
                              Originally posted by Funkfingers
                              Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Working...
                              X