covering humbucker pickups with clear sellotape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• covering humbucker pickups with clear sellotape

hello everyone,i just bought new jb model and i'm thinking of covering it with a clear sellotape since my hand are sweaty and i'm afraid it rust like my previous pups..so is this good or bad? does this effect the tone or anything bad could happen?

p.sardon my english its not my main langauge..tq

Re: covering humbucker pickups with clear sellotape

Bad idea.

Chances are, you won't have that instrument long enough to allow those p'ups to rust, unless your sweat have corrosive superpowers.

HTH,
    Last edited by LtKojak; 01-11-2014, 01:10 AM.

Comment

ok,how about using the chrome coverd does it effect anything?

Comment

Tape is going to leave residue on the PU cover, and eventually ruin it.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Nasri View Post
          hello everyone,i just bought new jb model and i'm thinking of covering it with a clear sellotape since my hand are sweaty and i'm afraid it rust like my previous pups..so is this good or bad? does this effect the tone or anything bad could happen?

p.sardon my english its not my main langauge..tq
          The trick I normally do is to get a bottle of clear nail polish, and paint a couple coats of it on the metal pickup poles and screws to inhibit rust. Nail polish is basically nitrocellulose lacquer, so it's a tried-and-true vintage coating for guitars. The only issue with using it on screws is that obviously too much of it will fill in the screw slots and then you have to chip it out to make any adjustments. But, I've never needed to adjust the polepieces of a pickup anyway, it's just a concern on the pickup height adjustment screws.

Comment

^^ This.

Just make sure you do it AFTER setting the poles to your preference, becasue as soon as you twist a screw after using teh nail polish the seal is broken and moisture will be able to seep in again.

Assuming of course that the pickup is uncovered.
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

...You are worried about rusting replaceable pole pieces in a JB, and after the cellotape idea is shot down, you ask about a chrome covered pickup? Isn't that just more metal to rust out? :scratch:
              Last edited by Thurisaz; 01-10-2014, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Liko View Post
                The trick I normally do is to get a bottle of clear nail polish, and paint a couple coats of it on the metal pickup poles and screws to inhibit rust. Nail polish is basically nitrocellulose lacquer, so it's a tried-and-true vintage coating for guitars. The only issue with using it on screws is that obviously too much of it will fill in the screw slots and then you have to chip it out to make any adjustments. But, I've never needed to adjust the polepieces of a pickup anyway, it's just a concern on the pickup height adjustment screws.
                Nice.... Did not know that Nail polish was Nitrocellulose. Learnt something new. Any way not to bothered about Pole pieces rusting.
                sigpic
                Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                JFG Flying V,
                "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Originally posted by Thurisaz View Post
                  ...You are worried about rusting replaceable pole pieces in a JB, and after the cellotape idea is shot down, you ask about a chrome covered pickup? Isn't that just more metal to rust out? :scratch:
                  Chrome doesn't rust... That's why it's used to coat steel and iron... I say "doesn't" but chrome is subject to oxidation, just not in the same way as iron. It doesn't go red and flake off.
                  There's nothing less metal than trying to act metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Chocklit_Thunda View Post
                    Chrome doesn't rust... That's why it's used to coat steel and iron... I say "doesn't" but chrome is subject to oxidation, just not in the same way as iron. It doesn't go red and flake off.
                    That's true, but the problem is that a lot of instrument manufacturers and aftermarket parts outfits make and sell relatively expensive chromed parts where it was obvious very little attention was paid to prepping the piece to be chromed. The result is hard edges that make it easy for chrome to wear down and flake off, chunks of dirt or grit from sandblasting in the next booth over, and even bubbles in the chrome that somehow passed QA. It's not solid chrome, obviously, and not a chrome alloy like chrome-moly tool steel. It's just a layer, and that layer can degrade same as any other protective coating, leaving the metal underneath to rust out.

Comment

so the answer is no cover..i hope those polepiece and screw can resist my sweaty hand..my hand can kill ernie ball string in less than 2 weeks..lol

Comment

do you call this sweaty hand?, no ernie ball string set resisted my hand more than a week before get rust and just break (and i use 12 - 52 on E standar) i would suggest the nail polish, also some tricks for prevent rust from sweat is first, take a shower with cold water, if you can shut down the warmer and take the shower this way will be excellent (also take note i suggest at least be 15 minutes on the cold water), use a polish wipe to clean your guitarn before and after playing (inclusive the pickups, the strings clean them with bond papper till they feel smooth) string cleaner on the poles before wipe helps preventing rust on them, wash your hands before playing, drink a lot of water while playing, way better if it's cold water, had a window or door open, use wristbands, don't know why but whe i don't use them my hands sweat faster, do all what i said and you will had less sweat issues

Comment

Yes. It looks better!

How old are you, Nasri?

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                            Yes. It looks better!

How old are you, Nasri?
                            22 sir..

Comment

Originally posted by EDX View Post
                              do you call this sweaty hand?, no ernie ball string set resisted my hand more than a week before get rust and just break (and i use 12 - 52 on E standar) i would suggest the nail polish, also some tricks for prevent rust from sweat is first, take a shower with cold water, if you can shut down the warmer and take the shower this way will be excellent (also take note i suggest at least be 15 minutes on the cold water), use a polish wipe to clean your guitarn before and after playing (inclusive the pickups, the strings clean them with bond papper till they feel smooth) string cleaner on the poles before wipe helps preventing rust on them, wash your hands before playing, drink a lot of water while playing, way better if it's cold water, had a window or door open, use wristbands, don't know why but whe i don't use them my hands sweat faster, do all what i said and you will had less sweat issues
                              wow,thats a lot of tips..i will try all of this..but wipe the string didnt really works on ernie ball i have using dunlop string cleaner but the result is the same..tq for your feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X