Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The difference between Duncan and Dimarzio

Originally posted by Hairmail View Post
    Dude, Gilmour used Dimarzio FS-1's before making the SSL-5 with Duncan.
    And dumped them. And even if you say he liked the bridge pickup that Seymour made for him so much, you'll notice he changed middle and neck to Duncans, too.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
      Dimarzios are scooped while Duncans have midrange wallop? Wut?

Um, no.
      My sentiment EXACTLY...nutz...

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
        And dumped them. And even if you say he liked the bridge pickup that Seymour made for him so much, you'll notice he changed middle and neck to Duncans, too.
        Sure, but he recorded Animals and The Wall with them. It's not like they sounded like crap . . .
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

In the end, it comes down to splitting hairs. I have Duncans, Dimarzios and EMGs and love them all to death. I couldn't imagine having a bunch of the same in my arsenal. What a boring world that would be....
          Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
          Marshall JVM410H
          Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
          Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
          ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
          Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
          Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
          Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
          Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

Compare Jemsite or Dimarzio's forum to this forum (not the people, I mean what gear they use and what they listen to and play). Dimarzio tends to make pickups for people that play lighter-weight superstrats with locking trems and 7 & 8 string guitars, Duncan pickups tend to sound better in guitars made of more dense wood with fixed bridges (usually; there are exceptions).

Also check out the people that are endorsed by both companies. That will tell you a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by nsatke View Post
              Just wanted to put this out there for anyone to either tear apart or learn from (it seems I could learn something from a lot of you, ha!). So anyhow, to my ears the difference between a Duncan and DimarZio is the way they voice their picks. Duncan's always have healthy mids and the frequencies they boost are int the audible range of the guitar spectrum. With dimarzio, their high output/modern pickups especially, the they scoop a lot of the eq so they have a tone with more low lows and sometimes more screech but never as much midrange wallop. This is because they boost frequencies that aren't as present in the guitar's sonic pallet. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              the difference is quite significant for me. my first aftermarket pickup was a dimarzio PAF pro. i thought it was the best pickup ever until i tried some duncans.

the difference to me boils down to two things:
              -compression
              -sensitivity

the duncans just have more of the natural guitar sound. more organic. the dimarzio seems to compress too much for my likes. it stifles the natural sound of the guitar. i've also come to appreciate the sensitivity of the duncans. they have more harmonics too. i can turn down the guitar volume on the guitar with duncans and still have a great wide range of sound going to my non master volume marshalls. with the dimarzio it's like it's completely full out or nothing. that's not cool.

dimarzios compression allows for more mistakes on the fretboard to pass as acceptable. with the duncans they are not as forgiving. with the duncans it seems they just pick up and transfer more tone more sharply, accurately.

i'd never buy another dimarzio. they are just colder and single dimensional.

Comment

Duncan uses unicorn tears. DiMarzio uses mithril wire. They're both magically delicious. Trust your ears.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
                  To me, Duncans sound bigger and livelier. Dimarzios sound more focused and dryer to me.
                  Although I have more experience with Duncans than DiMarzios, I agree with the above generalization. The one DiMarzio I tried that felt open and juicy was the Virtual PAF, which really is no surprise given that it's a PAF style pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodeanicus View Post
                    Duncan uses unicorn tears. DiMarzio uses mithril wire. They're both magically delicious. Trust your ears.
                    Seriously awesome quote! Both companies make great pickups at great prices with great service. We are lucky to have so many choices!

Comment

I love the Super Distortion and the Humbucker From Hell

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
                        dimarzios compression allows for more mistakes on the fretboard to pass as acceptable. with the duncans they are not as forgiving. with the duncans it seems they just pick up and transfer more tone more sharply, accurately.
                        Hmm. Not following this line of reasoning . . .

If you play the wrong note quietly, it's going to be more noticeable with compression than without. If you flub a note and make a funny guitar noise, it'll be louder with compression than without.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

This question would be answered better by people who actually make pups and understand the how they work and what makes them work.

I do believe Duncans appeal more to the vintage and traditionalist while Dimarzio may appeal more to a more modern player but even that is a broad generalization and doesn't account for everyone.
                          Originally posted by KBliss
                          WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                          Originally posted by trevorus
                          The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Both companies have offerings that cover any genre. It's just personal preference.

Comment

My favorite guitars (older Parkers & EBMM Axis) have DMZs. The EVHs in my Driskill sound sweet, too.

None of 'em is what I'd describe as scooped.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                              My Music

Comment

Working...
                              X