banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom 8... Can It Be Too Tight? Too Focused?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom 8... Can It Be Too Tight? Too Focused?

I've been playing around with the guitar I have my Custom 8 in, and something is just not right. The pickup doesn't sound bad, but the bass sounds almost too tight, and too focused. It's loud, has sustain, but doesn't seem to have a lot of dirt. Could it be the strings? It's in a Frankenstrat project I just finished, and for some reason the strings are very tight, it first had a Schaller Floyd Rose for about a week, now it's had a Schaller made OFR, again for about a week, and the strings just get really tight, no clue why.

Re: Custom 8... Can It Be Too Tight? Too Focused?

what tuning are you in and what gauge strings are you using?

the C8 is quite tight, but it normally has a big fat low-mid growl that tends to add some bloom around the tightly-tracked lows

Comment

Hybrid 9's, previously 10's, tuned Eb, I typically use 10's when tuned down, but left it at Eb with the hybrids.

I've lowered and raised the screw pieces, nothing really changed. Like I said, it still sounds great, but if I could change something it would be to loosen up the bottom just a tad.

Comment

get your new floyd set up properly for a lighter feel, and maybe that growl will come back, cuz tighter strings generally mean less vibration/tighter lows.

of course it could just be the new floyd itself.

Comment

It was the old Schaller also. Gotta ask the tech who does my repairs and installs what the deal is with it.

Comment

Brass block.

You're welcome.
            Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

Brass block is stock for the OFR and the Schaller.

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
                Brass block is stock for the OFR and the Schaller.
                Nope.
                Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

I don't find the C8 to be right or focused at all. That would for the description I think of for the Alt-8 more than any other alnico 8 model that I've heard so far.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

I switched out a Custom 8 for a Crazy 8 tonight in hopes of tightening things up just a hair and improving string separation. I don't hear what you're complaining about.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner4Life View Post
                      I've lowered and raised the screw pieces
                      what about the 2 pickup height screws? have you tried moving it away from the strings? IME the custom 8 can be relatively far away and still send plenty of signal through, and from what you're describing, that could be your fix

Comment

It's all relative. An A8 is going to sound a lot tighter and more focused than an A2, A3, or UOA5. Compared to a ceramic, an A8 isn't going to stand out as tight.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Need an amp with a resonance control. Lower the basee, raise the resonance. I'm actually being serious, I just went through this with a new guitar. Some amps just dont sound right with some guitars/pickups. JSX ftw.

Comment

It doesn't have a lot of dirt? Like it sounds too clean?
                            -IM

Comment

Originally posted by rumblebox View Post
                              Nope.
                              OFR indeed has a nickel-plated brass block. http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/tre...eries/original

Not sure about the Schaller.

Comment

Working...
                              X