No announcement yet.

Pickups for my Epiphone SG-400? Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickups for my Epiphone SG-400? Help!

Originally posted by Inder_Cine_Mann View Post
    I played a friends SG. It was fine. Convinced him to let me throw in a C8 and Mean 90 neck.

His mind was blown
    That's one of the best possible combos for an SG. I love P-90s in an SG and I love the C8 (possibly the best all around bucker for the bridge of an SG). The Mean 90 is a great sounding P-90 for a humbucker routed guitar and works in bridge and neck position.

Putting the C8 in the bridge and the Mean 90 in the neck gives you the best of both worlds. One of my SGs is set up exactly like this and it sounds amazing and is very versatile.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
      Pickups are only a part of a much bigger picture when it comes to good tone.
      A good set of pickups is probably worth more than that whole (sg400) guitar.
      Save up for a better axe and amp combination. You did not mention specifically what amp you are using, but a good amp is the basic bedrock on which your sound is built.
      If you have a nice amp rig, then get your hands on an axe that not only plays well, but resonates musically in your hands.
      Once the big building blocks of your sound are sorted out, then its worth looking at the smaller details like pickups.
      This might seem like I'm deliberately avoiding the question, but if your goal is to sound good, then this is the quickest, cheapest and most effective way to get where you want to be.
      You are absolutely correct about the amp (and speakers). Nothing tops the affect that the amp has on your tone. But I gotta side with Rick about the guitars. The SG400s are very good guitars. I've got a few and I've got a couple Gibson SGs as well. They are all fine instruments, but I have to admit that the Epis are a little better sounding (yes, with different pups), better finish quality, and play just as wonderfully as the Gibsons. At their price, it just makes good sense to put a little more $$ into the G400 for better pups and electronics and end up with a top player at less than half the cost of the Gibson. Even after putting in NEW pups in the G400. Certainly buying used pups, as Rick suggests, would make it an even better value.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
        SG400s are very good guitars.
        actually yeah...i probably got it (the 400) confused with this one. One of my students has one of these and its a dog.
        Last edited by Chickenwings; 02-19-2014, 03:57 PM.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
          actually yeah...i probably got it (the 400) confused with this one. One of my students has one of these and its a dog.
          Agreed. That's a G-310, made much cheaper. I'd never want one. G-400's are definitely better in all respects.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I had a G400 for a short time - It was actually quite a good guitar, especially for how cheap it was. It pretty much stacked up to a slightly flat sounding Gibson SG I had at the same time. I know this seems like putting the Epi down, but I actually think they can be great guitars.....especially for heavier styles - which is what the (?poplar) mystery wood they're made from really shines with.

I'd echo the calls for a Custom in the bridge. The ceramic mag one will probably do the best, although if its a bit lacking down low, then an A8 mag swap would aid this.
            And the PG neck is really good in SG's

Comment

I had an SG400 and put a custom 5 in it and it was beastly! The C5 has a fat low end that makes up for the thinness of the guitar. And the plus to using anything in the custom series is that you can mod with a magnet swap. Im a big fan of a custom 8 which is a custom with an alnico 8 mag in it. But for an SG, Id start with the Custom 5. As far as neck pups, a pearly gates or Jazz would be great
              Last edited by BloodRose; 02-19-2014, 04:47 PM.
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I have a Custom 5 in my Epi SG and like it. In the neck is a 57 Classic and it just sings. I love the 57 classic in the neck but I did not like it in the bridge, so I put in the Custom 5. This setup has been rocking for about a year now.

Comment

Add my vote to the '59s.. Had mine in for a month or so, and even with the stock wiring it just has a great all around sound.. At least in my opinion...

Comment

I've been reading through the replies, thanks everyone for the input

I read reviews, heard samples, watched videos etc about the pickups you mentioned. I'm almost sure I want a SD Custom (SH-5) on the bridge. Good reviews on the SG-400 and even the description on the Seymour Duncan website almost perfectly describes what I want:

Beefed up Patent Applied For tone for a hard-driving, kickin' sound with the right balance of power, sustain, and distortion. This pickup cuts through with a distinctive high end and midrange attack. The ceramic magnet and custom coil design give it compressed dynamics, an enhanced harmonic structure, and a punchy bass. Perfect for dropped tunings without "mushing" out.
                    I say "almost" sure, because I'm between the Custom and the Custom 8. I know it's the same pickup with an alnico 8 mag in it, but how does the sound differ?

For the neck, I'm trying to decide between the 59' and the Mean 90, I'm doing some more research before deciding.

Comment

Originally posted by IronFox View Post
                      I'm almost sure I want a SD Custom (SH-5) on the bridge. Good reviews on the SG-400 and even the description on the Seymour Duncan website almost perfectly describes what I want:

I say "almost" sure, because I'm between the Custom and the Custom 8. I know it's the same pickup with an alnico 8 mag in it, but how does the sound differ?
                      All three are different flavors of the same PU. A C5 will be the brightest and thinnest, but that's partially offset by the mahogany body. Custom's have a ceramic magnet, which are high output and somewhat 'stiffer' and more sterile-sounding than an alnico, not quite as good clean. Great for metal and hard rock. They're on the bright side, but have more mids than a C5 (but less than a C8). C8's took the forum by storm, as they're like a cross between C5's and Customs. If you like powerful bridge PU's that have full mids, aren't too bright, and are good clean, you should consider a C8. They're probably gotten more recommendation for SG's than any other bridge PU here in the last several years.
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

If you like powerful bridge PU's that have full mids, aren't too bright, and are good clean, you should consider a C8.
                        Exactly what I'm looking for! I have to buy a SD Custom AND an Alnico 8 magnet, and swap magnets right?

Comment

Originally posted by IronFox View Post
                          Exactly what I'm looking for! I have to buy a SD Custom AND an Alnico 8 magnet, and swap magnets right?
                          Yes, any one of the Custom family will work. You have the ingredients to make a C8 in your laboratory. They're very popular around here.

Comment

The C8 is the only one of the Customs which I would consider for the bridge of an SG. The Custom (with ceramic mag) is just too bright and brittle sounding for most clean work; the C5 is too mid scooped for an SG, it may be better for an LP but not quite for an SG; the CC (with A2 mag) sounds too wet-blanket-over-my-speaker for my taste...it's just kinda blah. But the C8 has a very present high end but it's warm (not brittle like its ceramic mag brother), full mids, a solid bass, articulate but still with that alnico warmth and character that just sends giggles up and down my spine.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              The C8 is the only one of the Customs which I would consider for the bridge of an SG. The Custom (with ceramic mag) is just too bright and brittle sounding for most clean work; the C5 is too mid scooped for an SG, it may be better for an LP but not quite for an SG; the CC (with A2 mag) sounds too wet-blanket-over-my-speaker for my taste...it's just kinda blah. But the C8 has a very present high end but it's warm (not brittle like its ceramic mag brother), full mids, a solid bass, articulate but still with that alnico warmth and character that just sends giggles up and down my spine.
                              +1. Couldn't say it any better myself. For a high output bridge PU in an SG, there's very few PU's better than a C8.

Comment

Working...
                              X