banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'd love to be able to tighten up the bass of a Custom Custom.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'd love to be able to tighten up the bass of a Custom Custom.

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
    I've been meaning to ask... Are the strong mids on a Custom Custom more warm low mids, or cutting upper mids. Just saying mids to me seems too vague, so it's not clear to me.

Thanks.
    Warm. I def would not call them cutting, like a JB
    -IM

Comment

I describe them as middle miss. It's a large and wide middle hump. Cutting is more a term I'd use for the spike in say a JB or a Pearly Gates. It's narrow, and focussed in the upper region.

The CC more "blasts" through the mix, in a very cool way in a band setting. The whole sound comes through without stepping on the bass at all. Remember - this pickup sounds very different in a Floyded Strat vs a Les Paul.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I agree with Jeremy and Bob about shorter screws giving a tighter more focused sound. But the hex screws are a little more effective. The length of the screw is the most important factor, but the materials and shape of the hex screws is also a factor.

You can buy a screw cutter built into a wire stripper at any hardware store for just a few bucks. They are very easy to use and work great...not filing or polishing needed afterward (usually).

Getting hex screws under the lower wound strings, adjusting them higher and lowering the bass side of the pup, and cutting the hex screws (if necessary) so that they don't extend at all past the baseplate should do the trick.

The next thing to try, if that doesn't do enough, would be the UOA5 as suggested earlier.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

can someone PLEASE link to the correct hex screws to use for the custom custom? Ideally, should be the exact same size/material as the screws in the screamin demon

Comment

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
            I've been meaning to ask... Are the strong mids on a Custom Custom more warm low mids, or cutting upper mids. Just saying mids to me seems too vague, so it's not clear to me.

Thanks.
            Definitely more pronounced in the lower mids, which in my opinion is a beautiful thing.
            Donnie
            ---------
            VVT Raptor 60W

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to start screwing with the screws and see where it takes me. The good thing is that I'm not looking to radically change anything, just tighten her up a bit.
              Donnie
              ---------
              VVT Raptor 60W

Comment

Working...
              X