banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'd love to be able to tighten up the bass of a Custom Custom.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd love to be able to tighten up the bass of a Custom Custom.

Is there any way to tighten up the bass without changing the rest of the tonal spectrum of this pickup? I LOVE the tone but would like just a little tighter bass. Adjust polepieces maybe?
    Donnie
    ---------
    VVT Raptor 60W

Re: I'd love to be able to tighten up the bass of a Custom Custom.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't putting hex screws in help with that?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
    Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post

That would be killer if that's all it takes!
      Donnie
      ---------
      VVT Raptor 60W

Comment

Absolutely right. I'm in the process of finding the right hex screws in this thread:

Comment

Hex ya. Or you can also try lowering the PU height and raise the pole pieces
          -IM

Comment

This thread title is like Blueman bait.

Comment

I'd love to be able to tighten up the bass of a Custom Custom.

Or you could put an UOA5 in there.

See, I just "designed" a new pickup. Actually, the UOA5 is a Blueman concept, so it's his "design"

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk
                I thought about that but I'm afraid it would also change everything else that I love about it.
                Donnie
                ---------
                VVT Raptor 60W

Comment

See, I just "designed" a new pickup. Actually, the UOA5 is a Blueman concept, so it's his "design"
                  Originally posted by donnievaz View Post
                  I thought about that but I'm afraid it would also change everything else that I love about it.
                  Swapping the screws might be a good first step to try. See how it works and go from there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
                  Nope...

Comment

Wait for the Perpetual burn.

Comment

Swapping the screws might be a good first step to try. See how it works and go from there.

it will change it a fair amount. try replacing the screw poles on the wound strings. you want shorter screws so it doesn't draw the magnetism down. ive done this just on the low e string of a guitar and it makes a subtle but positive difference and doesn't change the rest of the tone. its quick and easy and totally reversible

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        it will change it a fair amount. try replacing the screw poles on the wound strings. you want shorter screws so it doesn't draw the magnetism down. ive done this just on the low e string of a guitar and it makes a subtle but positive difference and doesn't change the rest of the tone. its quick and easy and totally reversible
                        Isn't there a thread somewhere about all the different screw options and their effects?

Nope...

Comment

You have two options: They are both the same. The "hex" is not what tightens the bass - it is the length of the screws and the Hex screws are shorter. So, easy option is to just swap the three bass screws for hex ones. The other option is to carefully chop and clean up regular screws if maintaining the look is important.

Also, there are often complaints of a lack of highs. I find it isn't so much a lack of highs, as it is simply soft round highs next to MASSIVE kids. The popular answer for that is to not be afraid to raise the treble poles up a bit. Or more than a bit.

Love the CC!!!!! But it isn't for everyone.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            soft round highs next to MASSIVE kids. Love the CC!!!!! But it isn't for everyone.
                            Ahhhh so thats the reason why the CC is such a love/hate pickup.... not everyone likes kids let alone MASSIVE ones.

Comment

I've been meaning to ask... Are the strong mids on a Custom Custom more warm low mids, or cutting upper mids. Just saying mids to me seems too vague, so it's not clear to me.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X