got the day off.... modding a Screamin' Demon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got the day off.... modding a Screamin' Demon

So, after putting in a hellish week at work, I'm taking today off.

So what better to do than mod a pickup? Today's selection is an old Screamin'Demon trembucker. I got it used, and from what I can tell, it's got the stock magnet in it. I used it w/ the stock magnet and an A8 magnet in an old basswood Fender Contemporary Strat (rosewood fretboard) and was just kinda "ehhh" about it I blame the strat, as the floyd style bridge that was on it had roller saddles of a rather soft brass, which tended to make the overall tone of the guitar similar no matter what magnet (or pickup for that matter!) I put in it.

I plan on putting it into a hardtail alder strat w/ a maple fretboard and a single 500K volume pot.

Here are some of the mods I'd like to try:
    1. replace the hex heads on the slug side with fillister screws that are the same length as the ones on the bridge side
    2. replace the stock magnet with a rather crusty looking roughcast UOA5 that I have laying in the parts drawer

I might possibly replace the 500K volume pot with a 250K depending on how the above experiments go, but I'm assuming I'll only swap to a 250K if I end up going back to the stock hex head and A5 set up (and maybe not even then...)

So what should replacing the hex heads with fillister screws get me (aside from a more badass looking pickup)? Also, will the RC UOA5 end up being too bland, not enough cut?

It's all an experiment, and nothing I can't return to stock, but I thought I'd see if the folks here had any previous experience with these mods on a Demon.

thanks!
    J.
    "I shall allow this GAS bubble to pass, a mere fart in time." - Aceman

Re: got the day off.... modding a Screamin' Demon

Don't ask others...go into it with a clean slate of expectations and see what YOU find the differences to be

Comment

See if you can add some of these:

They really need to rename that pickup.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
      @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by appar111 View Post
        1. replace the hex heads on the slug side with fillister screws that are the same length as the ones on the bridge side
        2. replace the stock magnet with a rather crusty looking roughcast UOA5 that I have laying in the parts drawer

I might possibly replace the 500K volume pot with a 250K depending on how the above experiments go, but I'm assuming I'll only swap to a 250K if I end up going back to the stock hex head and A5 set up (and maybe not even then...)

So what should replacing the hex heads with fillister screws get me (aside from a more badass looking pickup)? Also, will the RC UOA5 end up being too bland, not enough cut?

It's all an experiment, and nothing I can't return to stock, but I thought I'd see if the folks here had any previous experience with these mods on a Demon.

thanks!
        J.
        1. Could possibly make the pup have a bit smoother, warmer response, but very subtle/slight. I can't hear the difference myself.
        2. Will warm it up, smooth the highs, add some mids. Won't make it too bland at all. Will still have plenty of cut.

Definitely do some experimenting and see what it sounds like to your ears.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

LOL, Dominus! That one got me!

I just put it in the alder hardtail strat with the roughcast UOA5 and a 500K volume pot and it's still PLENTY zingy!

But I tend to like a brighter bridge pickup, one with an output that doesn't distort the clean channel. Something with the brightness of a single coil (well, almost) but more power without sounding too compressed. This Demon with a RC UOA5 is nailing that sound pretty damned good right now!

Comment

Good to hear! Sometimes it's best to just "see for yourself"...

Comment

I did the screw change mod (hexes to the bass, fillisters to the treble strings) and found that the hexes improved the bass while the fillister screws smoothed the treble a bit. And an A8 really kicked in ...
              Last edited by hamerfan; 02-21-2014, 01:45 PM.
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

it depends on if you put the screamin or the demon side towards the bridge.....wow what that can do for you....

Comment

I really didn't like the A8 Demon in my Les Paul but it had a killer tone when split.

Comment

hey could I have the hex screws? I've been trying to find them for a while but cannot find anywhere. I can reimburse you for shipping charges!

Comment

Well, I just swapped the hex screws out for a set of fillister screws I took out of my 59N pickup. (they're the same length as the fillister screws on the bridge side of the Demon). It seems to add some "woofiness" but I wouldn't necessarily say it adds bass. I need to let the strings settle back in. I'm undecided at this point, as I kinda like the added woofiness/body, but I don't think I like it as much as the clarity of the overall sound with the hex screws.

Comment

Update:
                        Swapped back to the hex poles on the slug side and definitely like the sound better than w/ the fillister screws on the slug side.

So.... basically stock except for the roughcast UOA5. Lots of clang and single coil brightness-- I like it!

rock on!

Comment

Working...
                        X