Custom Custom ish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Custom ish

I love the voicing of the Custom Custom on my POS (name brand withheld to protect the guilty) HSS guitar. However, it is a little too hot.

Which SD HB pickup is EQ'd most like the CC but more in the 10 - 11k heat range.
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Re: Custom Custom ish

PATB3 sounds pretty close in the audio clips, Demon is a little brighter.
    Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

Comment

Have you ever tried a Duncan '78? It's alnico 2 like the Custom Custom and sounds great!
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
        Have you ever tried a Duncan '78? It's alnico 2 like the Custom Custom and sounds great!
        No I haven't. I have a great deal more experience with SD single coils. The Custom Custom sounds great, but it is a little out of balance volume wise with the APS2s I put in the neck and middle.

To be honest I only think it is a Custom Custom. It was in a SD Custom Custom box and the DC resistance was very close to spec, but there was no label on the pickup itself. It did have the SD engraving. I don't remember buying this pickup. What pickup? See?

Since you sent me to the custom shop I noticed that the Brobucker looks darn good, too.
        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

You could try to lower the pickup a bit until it balances with the sc's. Give it a shot :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by madsschaarup View Post
            You could try to lower the pickup a bit until it balances with the sc's. Give it a shot :-)

That's a great suggestion but it's already very low. This is a guitar I haven't used on many years and I just reassembled it and don't have the bridge dialed in or anything. But now that you've mentioned pickup height, maybe I should raise the single coils. There's plenty of room under those strings!!

Comment

Also try the CC wired in parallel. cuts the output a bit, gives it slightly more high end, but keeps the basic character in tact.

Comment

There was an article a few years ago in Tonequest where they talked about the ultimate EVH pickup. It came down to the Custom Custom vs. the '78 and the '78 won.

As it should have.

I really think that's the one to get: the '78.
                “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Man, that's hard...

The CC is, IMHO a very skewed EQ...very unique to that pickup. I've never heard anything else like it.

Maybe hotter singles and tweaking pickup heights is the way to go...
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
                    Also try the CC wired in parallel. cuts the output a bit, gives it slightly more high end, but keeps the basic character in tact.
                    Well, I like the tone as it is in series, and I have it wired for auto split in the bridge + middle switch position using a standard 5-way switch. I really like the 1/2 humbucker + single coil tone through an OD pedal (or two). I'm not sure I can figure out how to wire for auto split starting with the HB in parallel in the bridge only position. I don't doubt it can be done, but my little brain would rather throw down the card and buy another pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                      Man, that's hard...

The CC is, IMHO a very skewed EQ...very unique to that pickup. I've never heard anything else like it.

Maybe hotter singles and tweaking pickup heights is the way to go...
                      I am surprised by how good it sounds on this Yamaha PAC604. There is absolutely no wood in the formula at all. That may not be true of all PAC604s, but this one is a tone dead plank.

Comment

Maybe it's time for experiment: make a hybrid pickup from CC slug coil combined with any lower output pickup screw coil (use A2 magnet from CC). I have no idea what you would get from that but at least you will still get 1/2 hb + sc tone that you really like.

Comment

I agree about the '78, but you can also try a Seth Lover. The PATB-3 does not sound like the CC. To me, the PATB-3 sounds more like a 59'.
                          Last edited by UberMetalDood; 02-23-2014, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I think the 78 is your best bet. I think the PATB-3 may be just as hot as the Custom Custom.
                            Originally posted by KBliss
                            WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                            Originally posted by trevorus
                            The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Well, if you want to be sure what pup you've got, try to measure the dc resistance. Then very gently push out the magnet and see what color code it has on the north pole. If we nail these two numbers it should be fairly easy to tell if your pup IS a cc. It would be a shame to go for a pup that's somewhat close to the cc, if it turn out to be something completely different. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X