banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
    SD isn't in the mass market business.
    Ah, but they are. They do some heavy advertising for a PU maker, and have contracts with a number of guitar manufacturers. They churn out a lot of PU's, or there wouldn't have been a forum created for thousands of their users. SD isn't the Porsche of PU's, those are the boutique guys that charge far more per PU, and produce only a fraction of what SD does. You've got yourself all mixed up with your car analogy.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Another humbucker. Yawn...
      Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

I think if the Z90 thing falls through, we should see if there's enough interest in doing a Tele pickup/set. Because we've had strat pickups, humbuckers, and P90's, but no Tele pickups. Just because a bunch of people won't buy it doesn't mean it's not worth doing.
        Custom neck-thru strat
        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
        1995 PRS CE24
        D'avanzo #8
        Breedlove Solo Concert
        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by gripweed View Post
          Another humbucker. Yawn...
          Ok cmon you gotta admit this thing is going to be nowhere close to a humbucker other than the fact that it fits in a humbucker rout and cancels hum. The sound and design as mentioned thus far will be nowhere close to a typical humbucker.

Comment

Porsche actually offers a cheap package for what is offered. The Cayman, which is a Boxter with a roof, is even cheaper. But even considering a 911, you get a high performance car with practically no compromises relatively cheap. The sports car that is comparable price wise is the Lotus Evora. And that is a plastic piece mostly held together by velcro and zip ties, and I'm not making this up, that is what they do. With a Toyota engine. Not making that up either. If you want a few-compromise sports car with good build quality you instantly catapult yourself way above a 911 price.

You can have American muscle cars that only go fast in a straight line or pimped up street cars like the M-series, AMGs or Audi S'es. Those are nice and fast but nothing can fix that they have the engine in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
              Ah, but they are. They do some heavy advertising for a PU maker, and have contracts with a number of guitar manufacturers. They churn out a lot of PU's, or there wouldn't have been a forum created for thousands of their users. SD isn't the Porsche of PU's, those are the boutique guys that charge far more per PU, and produce only a fraction of what SD does. You've got yourself all mixed up with your car analogy.
              The key phrase in your post is for a pickup maker. As soon as you think about what that actually means, everything else falls apart. They're a big fish in a tiny pond. They're not a mass market brand - not even in the niche context of musical instruments.

Whether SD is the Porsche of pickups (if there even was such a thing) isn't the point. Every after-market pickup is a niche product, just as every high-performance sports car is a niche product.
              Band: www.colouredanimal.com
              Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
              Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Wait?? what?? Seymour is making something for Porsche? Holy crap... gotta get me one of those..

Comment

Speaking of Porsche, I actually like the Cayman more than the 911.

As for the pickup, I still like the split coil under cover concept. Probably will be pricy though. I suppose they could make lil half coils out of Strat style flatwork materials. It definitely is not feasable to have bobbins molded just for this.

Comment

Now this MIGHT be just as simple as winding a humbucker to the right specs and have both coils have screw poles and just take out three on each side and then put a metal casing on it. I would hope the design would be more intricate than that, but it might work.

Comment

Z-90 ZD-90 ZFD-90... to me, they all sound technical...

How about ZBro90? Sounds kinda Russian, and cool! hehe

B
                      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

All I want is a $160 Zephyr. Is that too much?
                        Originally posted by GuitarDoc
                        Don't take yourselves, or anything for that matter, too seriously. We're born, we live, then we die. All of us. Just the same.

Comment

Wow, lots of...um..."interesting" ideas being bounced around here.

The Z Coil thing is one of of the best in my opinion.

I always wondered why somebody wasn't winding a drop in replacement for those G&L guitars that use them.
                          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

As for the issue of CS Pickup pricing I think a lot of guys are looking at it wrong.

Most pickup winders/companies don't even offer custom pickups and many of the ones that do only offer slight variations on their standard line add to that the cost of them. Example, Peter Florance sells a set of Humbuckers for $300 a set and there are whopping 3 models or you can order "custom" spec pickups which are still pre set specs by Peter but they are $400 a set.

Throbaks offer no real custom spec pickups, you order off their menu but you can pickup magnets in some of the pickups...they start at $419 a set and run to well over $500 a set and again...no custom specs.

Rolph pickups start at $400 a set and thats only if you can get him to return an email or answer the phone...Raw Vintage pickups start at $400 a set and go up to just under $600 a set...Klein pickups are in the same ball park...Let's not even look at Holmes pickups...

One more time, remember...none of these guys offer truly custom pickups and even the ones that do still have a VERY limited handful of things they can even offer.

All the sudden $300 or so for a set of fully custom spec pickups sounds VERY reasonable!

Standard Duncan buckers for example run just over $70 to around $90 new so it's not like $160 a pop is a world away from that and having delt with Seymour and MJ in the Custom Shop several times I can and will attest that a Custom Shop pickup is worth every extra penny!
                            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                              All the sudden $300 or so for a set of fully custom spec pickups sounds VERY reasonable!
                              And $150 for a production set sounds even more reasonable. Why not make a neck model and offer a Brobucker set, and a '78 set?
                              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                                Now this MIGHT be just as simple as winding a humbucker to the right specs and have both coils have screw poles and just take out three on each side and then put a metal casing on it. I would hope the design would be more intricate than that, but it might work.
                                No, I wouldn't be on board with lots of dead coil space. I think it waters down a pickup.

Comment

Working...
                                X