Suhr SSH and/or SSH+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suhr SSH and/or SSH+

has anyone checked out both (or either) of these enough to offer a comparison between them? or maybe an opinion on them?

Re: Suhr SSH and/or SSH+

I've had the SSH+. It's a cool high output pickup. I ended up getting rid of it because it just had too much top end for my 5153. I also found that it didn't roll down as well as a JB.
    2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
    2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Thanks. That's kind of the impression I have been getting from what I've been reading. Making me wonder is the SSH might be a little more in line with what I'm looking for.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

finally had time to realize that I've never moved on this. I called Suhr and talked to a helpful dude. I pulled the trigger on a SSH+ that should be arriving in a few days. The regular SSH is also appealing, so I might end up giving both a shot.

anyone have any time with the regular SSH?

Comment

Definitely give us your impressions. The SSH+ is the ONE Suhr I've been dying to try forever and just haven't yet, for whatever reason.

Comment

I've played both. The CLOSEST comparisons I can think of, for Duncan pickups:

SSH = Duncan Custom 5
            SSH+ = Duncan JB

But that's a very, very, very loose comparison. The SSH is more like a louder PAF, whereas the SSH+ is getting into the high-output territory. Outputs are similar, magnets are similar, but of course - we all know that mags and DC resistance don't amount to everything.

The Duncans sound like, well, Duncans, and the Suhrs definitely have John's sonic signature on them.

Comment

got it in last week, just too busy to have time to install it.

did get some readings from it:

series: 17.28k
              split N: 8.64k
              split S: 8.64k
              parallel: 4.32k

have a mahogany guitar with rosewood board that has a PRS Tremonti bridge in there. thinking about putting this in the same guitar.

will follow up when that happens. maybe this Sat, but probably next.

Comment

I've heard a demo of the SSH+ in parallel. Had that tele-thing going on to me.

I'd like to get my hands ahold of a plain SSH - The + did not work out for me.

Comment

Originally posted by LReese View Post
                  I've heard a demo of the SSH+ in parallel. Had that tele-thing going on to me.

I'd like to get my hands ahold of a plain SSH - The + did not work out for me.
                  The SSH is also very interesting. The way the guy at Suhr described it, it's the same wind with less turns. Seems like it would be a hot PAF sort of thing. Hope to knock it in the head at some point as well.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

It supposedly is -

I've got a couple of the dual screw versions - the DSH. Problem is with the SSH, you need to be sure the guy taking your order knows not to order the + - That's how I wound up with mine. You'll probably have to wait for them to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by LReese View Post
                      It supposedly is -

I've got a couple of the dual screw versions - the DSH. Problem is with the SSH, you need to be sure the guy taking your order knows not to order the + - That's how I wound up with mine. You'll probably have to wait for them to make it.

I found them online via a retailer. it was a little less than buying direct and there was free shipping.

Comment

Working...
                      X