Tryed the no RWRP on a strat thing .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tryed the no RWRP on a strat thing .

And I think the tone really is better, especially in the 2 and 4 notch positions. Even the regular positions sounded a bit deeper. Or am I hearing things? But I did seem to notice the hum in all positions a bit more, or am I hearing things? I think one must weigh the slight improvement of tone against the more annoying hum in all positions.

Re: Tryed the no RWRP on a strat thing .

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
    And I think the tone really is better, especially in the 2 and 4 notch positions. Even the regular positions sounded a bit deeper. Or am I hearing things? But I did seem to notice the hum in all positions a bit more, or am I hearing things? I think one must weigh the slight improvement of tone against the more annoying hum in all positions.
    I don't think the amount of hum changes in the 1,3 & 5 switch positions when I don't have a RW/RP middle pickup. But maybe it does. There's no reason that it would but...well...you know!

Glad you like the improvement in tone though. I do hear that.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Tone is definitely better IMO with no RWRP on the middle pickup.

Comment

Great timing for an update. I just redid one of my Strats with all equal output pickups, no RWRP. I agree, the in-between positions seem more "natural". I also did the Neck Tone & Bridge Tone (no Middle Tone). I'm still getting used to the weaker bridge, but also trying to balance heights to get smooth transistions from position to position.

All in all a great move, and I thank Lew's recent posts for pushin me in this direction.
        Last edited by PFDarkside; 03-13-2014, 01:59 PM.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I'm so pleased that you all are liking it. Thanks for even trying it.

Comment

I avoid RWRP when I but singles to form a set, because I think humbucking invariably removes some goodness, more so if the coils are in close proximity. OTOH the difference is so tiny that I won't not buy a set on account of RWRP middle pickups. Here's a YouTube video demoing the difference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2Z7ZIKAXTA

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              Great timing for an update. I just redid one of my Strats with all equal output pickups, no RWRP. I agree, the in-between positions seem more "natural". I also did the Neck Tone & Bridge Tone (no Middle Tone). I'm still getting used to the weaker bridge, but also trying to balance heights to get smooth transistions from position to position.

All in all a great move, and I thank Lew's recent posts for pushin me in this direction.
              When you combine the neck & middle pickups in a normal Strat with a tone control on the neck pickup and a tone control on the middle pickup, both tone controls are combined along with the pickups.

If each tone control is a 250K pot, when the two are combined it's like a single 125K pot - so the tone is turned down some and the resulting tone has less treble.

With a tone on the neck and a tone on the bridge, when the neck & middle are combined there's just one 250K tone control so the tone will now be brighter in that setting.

Comment

I know, and the resulting tone is clearer and a bit more "stratty". Plus you've always got the tone control to knock it back if you want. Also, it allows the nice bright mid position that I've come to like for really funky type rhythms.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

This is great!!!

I've been against the RW/RP thing for years now but folks just told me I was nuts!!!

So glad to see that not only am I not nuts but I'm not alone either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I really wish RWRP wasn't a thing because it's annoying to have two different behaviors. Either get stacked humbuckers and have no hum at all, or don't, and don't worry about the hum, because if you are then you shouldn't have bought true single coils in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                      I really wish RWRP wasn't a thing because it's annoying to have two different behaviors. Either get stacked humbuckers and have no hum at all, or don't, and don't worry about the hum, because if you are then you shouldn't have bought true single coils in the first place.
                      You do realize that RWRP has been around wayyyyy before noise free or stacks even came along right? Their was no choice except to either have a RWRP or a regular single or get buckers.

Regardless I would never use true singles anyway since their are noise free offerings and it's 2014 not 1960 anymore.
                      Originally posted by KBliss
                      WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                      Originally posted by trevorus
                      The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                        You do realize that RWRP has been around wayyyyy before noise free or stacks even came along right? Their was no choice except to either have a RWRP or a regular single or get buckers.
                        Yes, but that was then, this is now. RWPW is still default in single coil sets.

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                        Regardless I would never use true singles anyway since their are noise free offerings and it's 2014 not 1960 anymore.
                        Didn't stacked humbuckers first come along in the early 80's? My last experience with then was with Fender Vintage Noiseless, and they sounded like ****, which is a near universal attitude towards them. The new ones are supposedly better, and the DiMarzio Areas are better still, but word is they only get 95% of the way there. I saw a frequency analysis of Areas versus a true single coil that showed the Areas preserved more highs then Fender Noiseless, but that a good amount of highs were lost relative to a true single coil. That's not something you can correct with EQ, that's a loss of overtones. It might be 2014 already, but stacked humbuckers are still a compromise pickup for guitarists who hate hum more than they like single coil tone.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                          Yes, but that was then, this is now. RWRP is still default in single coil sets.

Didn't stacked humbuckers first come along in the early 80's? My last experience with then was with Fender Vintage Noiseless, and they sounded like ****, which is a near universal attitude towards them. The new ones are supposedly better, and the DiMarzio Areas are better still, but word is they only get 95% of the way there. I saw a frequency analysis of Areas versus a true single coil that showed the Areas preserved more highs then Fender Noiseless, but that a good amount of highs were lost relative to a true single coil. That's not something you can correct with EQ, that's a loss of overtones. It might be 2014 already, but stacked humbuckers are still a compromise pickup for guitarists who hate hum more than they like single coil tone.
                          Yep - I remember days in the early 80s when I specifically asked for RWRP and alas the answer is no, unless I waited for an order. My 1st exposure to RWRP was on a Jackson guitar in 1984.

Stacks started showing up in the early 80s as I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                            This is great!!!

I've been against the RW/RP thing for years now but folks just told me I was nuts!!!

So glad to see that not only am I not nuts but I'm not alone either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            I might've been one of those guys.

Although I'm sure I never said you were nuts!

I didn't know what to believe until I heard the difference for myself in the same guitar, and you were right.

Comment

95% is a A grade in my book. Plus who is really going to notice that once the drums, bass, keys, horns, etc kick in? I'll take a "alleged" 5% loss for noise free performance.
                              Originally posted by KBliss
                              WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                              Originally posted by trevorus
                              The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Working...
                              X