No announcement yet.

Tryed the no RWRP on a strat thing .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tryed the no RWRP on a strat thing .

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
    95% is a A grade in my book. Plus who is really going to notice that once the drums, bass, keys, horns, etc kick in? I'll take a "alleged" 5% loss for noise free performance.
    IMO 5% is bigger than the difference between after market pickups and the stock pickups they replace, so I'm a little surprised to see someone who would accept 5% compromise in their tone on an after market pickup forum. More people don't care than do, but they are all somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
      So glad to see that not only am I not nuts but I'm not alone either!
      You're never alone with a Klon (or is that a Soul Food these days?)
      Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

You always have the option of using the Stacks in single coil mode - I remember EJ saying in an interview his HS-2 seemed quieter just by having that bottom coil there, but disconnected.

Not sure how this translates to the more modern designs.

There's other issues with stacks - the combo sounds typically don't sound right, IMO. Also the guitars I like to use have shallow cavities and dealing with the added height of Stacks can be an issue.

Comment

That (5%) won't matter in the studio when the engineer is cutting and boosting frequencies and it definitely doesn't matter to the audience because they are their to hear the band as a unit and the music as a whole.
          Originally posted by KBliss
          WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
          Originally posted by trevorus
          The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

I'm not using them in front of an audience or recording though.

The Suhr and Ilitch systems get very quiet with only imperceptibly (if it does that) impacting tone. I'm not referring to the backplates. Its the built in systems I have experience with. The backplates are slightly less effective.

Admittedly its an expensive option - about the cost of Antiquitiy Singles to get the new version if the Ilitch in pick guard format. Suhr presently only with a Suhr guitar.
            Last edited by LReese; 03-13-2014, 05:54 PM.

Comment

That (5%) won't matter in the studio when the engineer is cutting and boosting frequencies and it definitely doesn't matter to the audience because they are their to hear the band as a unit and the music as a whole.
              After market pickups don't matter in general in these scenarios. If you're a working musician and these are your chief concerns, there are far better ways to spend your time. When I was in a band, I didn't care about pickups, I worried about writing new material, promotion and how to fire band members gently. It's only with the luxury of time, peace and quiet that I've become more discerning with pickup tone.

Comment

5% does matter...BIG TIME!

IMO, any of the tonal improvements we tone-o-holics obsess about are in the 1 - 5% range all of the time.
                “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

You know, its a funny coincidence but every time I ever hear the 'you'll never hear x once the drummer etc kicks in' line trotted out its someone desperately trying to justify their own choice to themselves

As you've now done it twice in one thread you must be really scared.

Comment

Here's a post on this forum from 2012 graphing DiMarzio areas against a true single coil https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...=1#post3196976

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                      You know, its a funny coincidence but every time I ever hear the 'you'll never hear x once the drummer etc kicks in' line trotted out its someone desperately trying to justify their own choice to themselves

As you've now done it twice in one thread you must be really scared.
                      I don't really use singles and haven't in years stacked or true. I use a lil screamin demon but thats still a bucker and have a squire with true singles as a back up for worst case scenario but rarely ever touch it. But I stand behind that statement 100% and would bet my gear very few people could ever tell the difference if they were asked in a blind test.

If you want to use true singles and put up with hum and static thats your prerogative me ill stick to the noiseless and keep the old heads guessing.
                      WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                      The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                        Here's a post on this forum from 2012 graphing DiMarzio areas against a true single coil https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...=1#post3196976
                        I remember that post and in it it also said the noiseless sound like true singles but don't behave as true singles which to some extent is true. But a graph isn't the same as a recording or playing them in person.

Comment

This is great!!!

I've been against the RW/RP thing for years now but folks just told me I was nuts!!!

So glad to see that not only am I not nuts but I'm not alone either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Same here. It always made me roll my eyes how hard people tried to nail what they thought was the perfect "vintage" Strat tone, obsessing over every little detail.....yet using a RW/RP middle pickup and a five-way switch.
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I remember that post and in it it also said the noiseless sound like true singles but don't behave as true singles which to some extent is true. But a graph isn't the same as a recording or playing them in person.
                            The graph is objective, in theory, and in that respect better than subjective experience. You can tell yourself whatever you want about what you think you're hearing, but the graph remains the same. What I see in the graph is a what was described in that thread, sort of an artificial jack up of the highs to create the impression of a single coil, but with more compression and a drop off. It's all precisely what I would have expected, and it's why I'm not interested in them.

Comment

...but folks just told me I was nuts!!!
                              That's a whole different story!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

It's funny that after all the tonal searching people seem to be heading back to how it was originally done! Must be something in it!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Working...
                                X