Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference between blackouts Ahb?

hi everyone,

i would like to understand the difference between ahb1, 2 and 3 in term of gain and frequencies?
    which one has more gain? which one is versatile?
    and what about frequencies on ladder between 1 and 10.
    Bass
    medium
    treble

thank you

Re: difference between blackouts Ahb?

From most to least...

Versatility = AHB1, AHB3, AHB2

Gain = AHB2 w/jumper, AHB2 w/o jumper, AHB1/AHB3 (tie)

---

AHB1: Chunky low end, strong but balanced mids and a clear top end with enough presence to cut without being harsh. The most balanced and passive-like of the Blackouts series, in my opinion.
    Perceived BMT Curve = 6/5/7.

AHB2: Heavy midrange focus with strong low end and warm top with lots of punch. Tons of gain on tap with 2 switchable settings via a jumper on the bottom.
    Perceived BMT Curve = 7/8/6

AHB3: Very tight and punchy down low, but not as thick sounding as the others. Neutral midrange with lots of clarity and a slight high-mid emphasis. A little more overall brightness than the AHB1, but the same great harmonics.
    Perceived BMT Curve = 5/6/8

---

EDIT: Here are the BMT Curves from Duncan's tone chart...

AHB1 = 6/5/8
    AHB2 = 7/9/5
    AHB3 = 5/5/9

---

EDIT #2: Make no mistake, they all have very high output and will dirty up your amp easily. Cleans can be tough with any of them, but not impossible (I think the *perfect* active would be an AHB-1 with 10%-15% less output).
    Last edited by Masta' C; 05-16-2014, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Been worrying about this myself. I have a custom guitar that's almost done, have it loaded with the AHB 1 neck and bridge, never specified which to the builder, and he just went with the AHB 1 pickups. I wanted the guitar to look very understated, it's just a true oil finished Jackson Soloist style mahogany body, with maple neck and ebony board with no inlays, but wanted it to completely rip you a new one when cranked. For me, it almost sounds like the AHB 2 is more up my alley, punchy, warm highs, heavy mids.

Comment

I don't know, the 3's look better to me.

Comment

The 1's are the most neutral sounding of the Blackouts, if there is such a thing. They feel like strong passives through an onboard preamp, but still react like good passives should. Both pickups clean up reasonably well and the bridge has no major humps in the EQ, just a soft upward curve at both the low and high end. The 1 set can cover a ridiculous amount of sonic territory with the right rig.

The 2 sounds great in the bridge and can really thicken up a thin-sounding guitar, but doesn't really have the midrange clarity of the others (though I wouldn't go so far as to call it muddy, either). Leads sound great when you're playing at home and chords feel absolutely huge and driving, but the tone of the 2 can't hold up to a busy mix as easy as the 1 and 3. Its primary focus is clearly heavy rock and metal rhythms with soloing ability only a secondary consideration. I will say, on the lower output jumper setting you can *almost* experience undistorted cleans...almost.

The 3 is nearly as versatile as the 1 and very similar in some ways, but it is brighter and lacks some of the warmth and flex that the AHB1 set has. It's articulation is unmatched in the Blackouts series and you can really get the 3's to sing when you dig in, but there's something about them that wore on me after a while and I'm pretty sure it was the unforgiving stiffness. Definitely a close contender to the 1 on most fronts and an ideal solution if the 1 set comes off boomy in your axe, but still just a close second in my opinion.

Don't forget that you can also use the neck models from the 1 and 3 sets in the bridge position, much as players do with EMG 85s and 60s, for even more tonal versatility. I think the 5 different models (1b/1n, 2b, 3b/3n) offer a practically unlimited palette of tones from which you can craft almost any sound.

I hope that makes sense...I'm half asleep typing this

Comment

The AHB2 has loads of gain, great for chugging but there are no clean tones with this pickup, had a nice metal tone but the bass was a bit flubby. The AHB1 seemed like it was always on 11, I didn't have any picking dynamics what so ever with this and didn't work very well with my 3120, feedback like crazy. I ended up selling them both and going with the EMG 81X, good clean tones and does hard rock and metal very well. Very versatile pickup but I have my eye on trying the EMG 57B, damn gas.

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
              From most to least...

AHB2: Heavy midrange focus with strong low end and warm top with lots of punch. Tons of gain on tap with 2 switchable settings via a jumper on the bottom.
              Perceived BMT Curve = 7/8/6

AHB1 = 6/5/8
              AHB2 = 7/9/5
              AHB3 = 5/5/9
              Originally posted by masta' c View Post
              The 1's are the most neutral sounding of the Blackouts, if there is such a thing. They feel like strong passives through an onboard preamp, but still react like good passives should. Both pickups clean up reasonably well and the bridge has no major humps in the EQ, just a soft upward curve at both the low and high end. The 1 set can cover a ridiculous amount of sonic territory with the right rig.

The 2 sounds great in the bridge and can really thicken up a thin-sounding guitar, but doesn't really have the midrange clarity of the others (though I wouldn't go so far as to call it muddy, either). Leads sound great when you're playing at home and chords feel absolutely huge and driving, but the tone of the 2 can't hold up to a busy mix as easy as the 1 and 3. Its primary focus is clearly heavy rock and metal rhythms with soloing ability only a secondary consideration. I will say, on the lower output jumper setting you can *almost* experience undistorted cleans...almost.

The 3 is nearly as versatile as the 1 and very similar in some ways, but it is brighter and lacks some of the warmth and flex that the AHB1 set has. It's articulation is unmatched in the Blackouts series and you can really get the 3's to sing when you dig in, but there's something about them that wore on me after a while and I'm pretty sure it was the unforgiving stiffness. Definitely a close contender to the 1 on most fronts and an ideal solution if the 1 set comes off boomy in your axe, but still just a close second in my opinion.

Don't forget that you can also use the neck models from the 1 and 3 sets in the bridge position, much as players do with EMG 85s and 60s, for even more tonal versatility. I think the 5 different models (1b/1n, 2b, 3b/3n) offer a practically unlimited palette of tones from which you can craft almost any sound.

I hope that makes sense...I'm half asleep typing this
              Originally posted by xntrick View Post
              The AHB2 has loads of gain, great for chugging but there are no clean tones with this pickup, had a nice metal tone but the bass was a bit flubby. The AHB1 seemed like it was always on 11, I didn't have any picking dynamics what so ever with this and didn't work very well with my 3120, feedback like crazy. I ended up selling them both and going with the EMG 81X, good clean tones and does hard rock and metal very well. Very versatile pickup but I have my eye on trying the EMG 57B, damn gas.

Sounds like the 2 is the one that i would prefer.

I bough a set of the 1's, with out testing it (i could not), but now i think i would enjoy the 2's fuller/warmer tone more.
              I have yet to install my set into a guitar !
              Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Working...
              X