No announcement yet.

Bridge Pickup for my RG350EX? (newbie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge Pickup for my RG350EX? (newbie)

So hey there. I've been playing for 4 years already but i'm still a bit new about pickups and stuffs. I mostly play metal (from metallica,pantera to children of bodom) btw.

I got an Ibanez RG350EX (the one with crappy edge III)
    Basswood Body
    3 piece maple neck
    Rosewood Fretboard

I've changed its stock infi pickups with duncan designed pickups from my friend's SZ520 which is a HB 103 on the bridge and i just forgot the neck model,wow. (didn't changed the single coil on mid).

Now i'm planning to get an actual SD pickups for the bridge but not sure what model to get.Tone Wizard suggests either SH/TB6 or dimebucker but isn't it that hb 103 was modeled from SH6? is there any noticeable sound difference?. The dimebucker is a bit too trebly for me although i play some pantera songs. Should i try the others like the sh5? JB? invader? active pickups? I like the invader but they say it's muddy on basswood guitars.

Suggestions please?

Re: Bridge Pickup for my RG350EX? (newbie)

Dimebucker. Just back your tone knob off a bit. Can't beat that squeal for metal leads.

Comment

The SH5 is a good chunky pickup. The SH6 is a bit louder but a bit less bass and more of a screamy high end where the SH5 is clear. The Invader is very mid heavy with pulled back highs. In some set ups it can get muddy. The bass is kinda loose. The JB is a cool pickup and gets along well with basswood. Its great live and is a classic sound. Scott Ian has used them for years playing thrash.

There is a difference between the HB103 and the SH6. They might share some familial heritage but wont sound 100% the same.

What I ask how is what do you want that the HB103 isnt giving you? Knowing that I can make a recommendation.
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I use a JB in the bridge of my RG920. It sounds really swell; it's surely NOT for everyone, as its treble is given a lot of details (it screams 80s! to me). After some tweaking, I've managed to tightened the lows and boosted the mids a bit by raising certain pole pieces, but the treble detail remains the same.

It's not a pickup for the scooped sound of Metallica or the chugginess of Pantera, but it is a very good pickup for leads.
        Originally posted by Myaccount876
        Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Can you give us some more info? What do you like or not like about the HB103 now? What do you wish it did that it doesn't now, if anything? What kind of amp are you playing through?

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
            It's not a pickup for the scooped sound of Metallica or the chugginess of Pantera, but it is a very good pickup for leads.
            Its funny you say this Scott Ian has used it for years and only plays rhythm and i dare say some of the chugginess he got is on par with anything metallica ever did. Just listen to the bridge in the song Indians
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Dimebucker. Just back your tone knob off a bit. Can't beat that squeal for metal leads.
              This.

I'm not too fond of the Dimebucker in other woods, but in Basswood it sounds great.
              Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Working...
              X