Phat Cat or Jazz neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Phat Cat or Jazz neck?

I have a bullet strat but I've not tried that Tele.

Comment

Originally posted by TNTales View Post
      I have a bullet strat but I've not tried that Tele.
      OK then, here's why I asked. I've got a boatload of cheap guitars, many of them Squires. I've got several Affinitys and a couple of Bullet strats. I like all of my Squires, some more than others, but I like them all as guitars. Pickups and electronics, well you know the story on that - they're modder's guitars. I went and played quite a few of the teles you're looking at because I really, really wanted to like them. I'm into teles lately, and I've been wanting some with the pickup configurations they're offering with those Bullets. I can't afford the Fender versions, especially to play around with modding, so these were like a dream come true. Until I played them. Not even plugged in, mind you, because I was going to gut them anyway. All I can say is that I suggest you go try a few out for yourself first, before ordering any online. Remember, I like my Bullet strats. I'll bet I've played 20 of these teles at different stores. In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, they suck big time. Donkey balls. Big donkey balls. Big time. Did I mention that I'm not particularly fond of them? I've played better First Act guitars. It's like they went out of their way to make them crap. I'm sorry if I'm putting a damper on your enthusiasm, they certain pissed all over my cornflakes. Like I said, go try some out. Who knows, maybe you'll like them. Maybe they'll fit your hand, or whatever. Feel is subjective. I'm just saying, don't get one without trying a couple of them out first.

Comment

Also, just an FYI, plan on replacing the electronics in the SX if you go that route. The pickups themselves aren't necessarily any worse than most Squiers, but the pots and the hardware in general is pretty flimsy.

Comment

I got to looking at my collection and found a Frankenstrat that I've not really been using. Ash body, Maple Neck, Rosewood Board. I think I'll put some pickups in it (It has Vintage Noiseless Neck/Middle and a Dimarzio Chopper in the bridge). Just to experiment I got a couple of GFS pups to play with while I make my decision. Thanks for all the advice. I'll probably end up putting some form of Custom and either a SD or Jazz in the neck. But for now it's the GFS VEH in the bridge and the Vintage 59 for the neck.

Comment

Sounds like a cool guitar. I'd like to hear how the GFS turn out.

Comment

I think you did right by getting some GFS pups to try. I don't think the sound you're after is in either of the Jazz or the Phat Cat. Phat Cat more than Jazz, but the GFS Mean 90 is better than both of those for what you're after.

If I was after that sound, I'd go for the Mean 90 or something from GFS retrotron series. But I think you'll want a semi-hollow guitar if you really want to nail the QOTSA sounds.

Comment

When I get it put together I'll try some recording just to let you see. Still need a good mic/interface for my computer.

Comment

Working...
                X