Maybe pot is my problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maybe pot is my problem...

The pot makes the audio taper more relaxed.

Comment

The tone pots on the OP's guitar should already be 500k audio (that's what Gibson puts in the production guitars along with 300k linear volume pots). However, they could read very low or high, so I would only replace the tone pots if they read way out of spec, or are the older Gibson-logo CGE pots, which IMO are not as good as CTS-made pots. I'd try changing out the volumes first, to tested pots that are close to 500k, I like the vintage taper audio pots myself.

Al

P.S. Just remembered that some older (like 70's) Gibsons used 100k tone pots, I would check for these if your guitar is an older one. If it's a recent guitar, they should be 500k audio on the tones.

Comment

my 84 LPC is one of the lovely ones with 100k all around. (They tested closer to 75k)

Which by the way, sounds absolutely muddy. 500k really brought the guitar to life. I found out my mudbucket of an axe was actually quite bright.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
          The tone pots on the OP's guitar should already be 500k audio (that's what Gibson puts in the production guitars along with 300k linear volume pots). However, they could read very low or high, so I would only replace the tone pots if they read way out of spec, or are the older Gibson-logo CGE pots, which IMO are not as good as CTS-made pots. I'd try changing out the volumes first, to tested pots that are close to 500k, I like the vintage taper audio pots myself.

Al

P.S. Just remembered that some older (like 70's) Gibsons used 100k tone pots, I would check for these if your guitar is an older one. If it's a recent guitar, they should be 500k audio on the tones.
          For reference, I'm pretty sure it's a 2007 Gibson Les Paul Studio. And I also kind of hate the taper on the volume. So I guess I'll place an order for two 500k audio taper pots pronto.

Comment

I've really been digging the Vintage Taper CTS pots lately. I've been burned by poor-spec audio taper 500K pots that act more as an ON-OFF than a volume CONTROL. I've bought from both MojoTone and Art of Tone. Both have a very nice taper -- the MojoTones are very low turning resistance (easy to turn).

Comment

Your 'pot is the problem'? Do you live in Colorado by any chance?
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                Your 'pot is the problem'? Do you live in Colorado by any chance?
                Oh, I didn't even think of that when I didn't pluralize the noun! That's really funny now that my own joke has been explained to me!

Comment

The more pot you have, the better your tone.
                  “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Too much pot can make you see and hear things differently.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Probably the first thing I'd do with MOST Gibson guitars is rip those stock 300k pots out. Replace with all 500k CTS and a good .22 cap instead of those aspirin sized ones they use. Then set the treble knob on your amps back 1 or 2. No more mud, some extra chime and clarity. High end will be restored.

Comment

Working...
                      X