Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: keeping humbucker level with the strings

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
    A block of foam stuck under the pickup should do.
    Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
    This is what I do, as well. Cut some of the foam that comes in the pickup box to a size that fits in the pickup cavity. Reinstall the pickup with the foam underneath and position the pickup level. The foam holds it in place.
    this is what I do as well. works fine and is dead simple

Comment

Yep, foam under the pickup.

Comment

To Zombiwoof,
        I would not bend the legs myself, but now that I think it through, that leg bend would only work in one direction. You would need to be real sure to bend it exactly or it would be off. I agree, bending a second leg wouldn't be of much use. With the spring screws bent they rotate pole up-pole down, and with both of them bent it is easier to freeze the angle you like.
        Bending spring screws takes no time, worse case you buy a new screw. I think I have about 20 or more extra at any given time.
        Steve B.

Comment

I'm not sure you are understanding what I'm saying, you bend only the very end of the legs, where the mounting holes are. You bend them so they are not parallel to the pickup, just a slight bend to both so the pickup sits flat. Which direction you bend the tip of the leg depends on which way the pickup is leaning. I don't know how to explain it any better without a diagram, I thought it would be obvious since I know others have done this in the past here. I think you are seeing this as bending the whole leg, but it's only the end part you bend (maybe "twist" is a better word) to an angle in reference to the pickup. This is a common way of fixing this problem, and has been discussed here before.

Al

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
          To Zombiwoof,
          I would not bend the legs myself, but now that I think it through, that leg bend would only work in one direction. You would need to be real sure to bend it exactly or it would be off. I agree, bending a second leg wouldn't be of much use. With the spring screws bent they rotate pole up-pole down, and with both of them bent it is easier to freeze the angle you like.
          Bending spring screws takes no time, worse case you buy a new screw. I think I have about 20 or more extra at any given time.
          Steve B.

Comment

i ditch the springs and replace them with a chunk of closed cell foam. It compresses much more than any screw can and it deadens vibrations really well too. If a rectangle of foam doesn't give you the angle and stability you require, cut it into a parallelogram shape.
            The only pic i have is this one from a tele build, but you'll get the idea.
            [IMG][/IMG]
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
            X