Need help with a volume pot issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a volume pot issue.

Hi guys i am wiring up my build the fullmap.

This is the diagram i am following.

The guitar pickup is responding to a tap test with a screw driver but only on 3 quarters of the volume range. Soon as i turn the pot to full it cuts out. What would cause the pot to do this?

I dont really know whats going on with it but i am pissed off because it took me ages to wire up and i hate the thought of doing it again haha.

Re: Need help with a volume pot issue.

does the pot zero out the volume correctly?

it could just be a busted pot where the tail end of the resistive medium is worn out and isn't making contact with the 3/4 that's working fine. I.e. when you turn it full up, it's actually an open circuit so no signal is going through.

obvious solution would be replace the pot.
    Last edited by CTN; 06-06-2014, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
      Yeah thats fine

Its way less than a quarter, its the smallest bit.

I did a video haha,

Comment

see edit^^

Comment

it could just be a busted pot where the tail end of the resistive medium is worn out and isn't making contact with the 3/4 that's working fine. I.e. when you turn it full up, it's actually an open circuit so no signal is going through.

obvious solution would be replace the pot.
          Any easier solutions ''sigh''? I hate wiring guitars its a ***** for me....Wish i was better at it, I guess this isn't my fault.

Comment

easier?

uh... don't turn it all the way up?

Comment

easier?

uh... don't turn it all the way up?
              Maybe i will use it as a kill switch haha.

Comment

To kramersteen,
                I absolutely mean NO disrespect at all, but I can't help but notice your pictures of your guitars. So are those things you built but had someone else wire up? Or are all those cool looking guitars you had someone else make for you?
                That much work would seem that if you were the maker of all that, a pot re-wire would be a walk in the park, a quick walk. Again, NO DISRESPECT INTENDED, just mighty curious.
                Steve Buffington

Comment

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
                  To kramersteen,
                  I absolutely mean NO disrespect at all, but I can't help but notice your pictures of your guitars. So are those things you built but had someone else wire up? Or are all those cool looking guitars you had someone else make for you?
                  That much work would seem that if you were the maker of all that, a pot re-wire would be a walk in the park, a quick walk. Again, NO DISRESPECT INTENDED, just mighty curious.
                  Steve Buffington
                  Doesnt seem so odd to me. Some guys know about wood work... some guys know about electronics.
                  "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                  you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

The most likely cause is overheating the pot while attaching the ground. The disc that holds the wiper is plastic. It may have warped when you soldered to the back of the pot. Its a classic mistake, made by both newbies and "pro's".

Comment

To kramersteen,
                      Steve Buffington
                      Well haha, Man have you seen my fullmap thread? Yeah i have mentioned many times how i have trouble soldering and for awhile i did pay other people to do it. That doesn't mean i haven't done it in the past, But now i am trying to force myself to get better because It cost too much to pay.

Heck only like an hour ago my brother showed me how to test the resistance of a pot. haha

Don't knock my finishing or building skills mate because i can show you hundreds of pictures of my shed with build progress. So yeah obviously i know that and any other forum members who have had anything to do with me would know that.

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      The most likely cause is overheating the pot while attaching the ground. The disc that holds the wiper is plastic. It may have warped when you soldered to the back of the pot. Its a classic mistake, made by both newbies and "pro's".
                      Hmmm that sounds like what happened, i heated that thing right up, The place i purchased the pot from are going to send me a new one anyway. Its all practice.

If anyone has any tips for me i would greatly appreciate it. I also need a better iron mine is too big.

Comment

That much work would seem that if you were the maker of all that, a pot re-wire would be a walk in the park, a quick walk. Again, NO DISRESPECT INTENDED, just
                        It took me two hours to do the wiring you know haha. I feel slightly offended for some reason and i feel like i should be better at wiring them up. Guess its just practice.

Also if you want some more credibility lol www.designbyraph.com

Its actually all a lie ^^ i am getting someone else to build all these guitars then i pass them off as my own online just to make my penis feel good, Seriously man the more i think about your comment the more it ****s me off.

Comment

To kramersteen,
                          Steve Buffington
                          Also look at this. http://www.guitargear.net.au/discuss...?topic=40189.0

Other people even start threads to help with the ''lie'' ^^

I Know you said ''no disrespect'' and all but seriously that **** hurts. I put my heart into these guitars and my whole life become devoted to the project i am doing. I think about them from the moment i wake up and late at night in bed. Rarely a day goes by when i wont be doing something on a guitar.

Anyway i have to go for a nap now. Hopefully i can get this other pot in tomorrow but i know it wont be a walk in the park for me.

Ps. I am **** at building pickguards too.
                          Last edited by kramersteen; 06-07-2014, 06:56 AM.

Comment

raph you should work on a pedal build to practice your soldering skills.

Comment

raph you should work on a pedal build to practice your soldering skills.
                              I actually have a diy 808 pedal kit in my watch list on ebay.

I need a few mini desk clamps and a smaller maybe weller gas iron. Also some extra magnification because my eyes are rat ****.

Comment

Working...
                              X