HUMBUCKER or TREMBUCKER?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HUMBUCKER or TREMBUCKER?

I don't think I've ever ordered a "trembucker" pickup off the Warmoth site when designing a guitar but can't help but notice about 50% of the humbucking style pups offered when designing a strat refer to "trembuckers."

I usually use a 2Tek guitar bridge. According to its description, the string spread is 2 1/16" (52.39mm). String to string spacing is 0.412.....and is supposed to be the same as the Fender American Standard Flat Mount.

Is there any benefit to a "trembucker" if using a 2Tek bridge? Thanks for any help regarding the humbucker/trembucker choice and also any info on bridges if someone has tried the 2Tek.

Re: HUMBUCKER or TREMBUCKER?

Yes, string spacing will likely be better with a trembucker at 2 1/16 inch bridge. Generally speaking, at that spacing it is more cosmetic, but since there is no disadvantage, why not maximize the cosmetics as well? Some folks might notice a slight volume drop on low and high es with standard spacing. I have not at that spacing, but on a string spread of 57mm, I have noticed a volume imbalance. I have not used a 2tek, however, I have used 2 1/16 inch bridges like the hipshot.

Comment

If you have a choice, go for the trem-spaced ("trembucker") version. If not, don't sweat it...you won't notice any difference in performance or tone if you use a standard-spaced model instead.

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
        If you have a choice, go for the trem-spaced ("trembucker") version. If not, don't sweat it...you won't notice any difference in performance or tone if you use a standard-spaced model instead.
        You may notice a volume difference on the outside E strings. I did. With an Invader.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
          You may notice a volume difference on the outside E strings. I did. With an Invader.
          Just curious what the bridge string spacing was. (I am in no way being argumentative, I have noticed a drop, but only on two bridges which were both fairly wide string spacings.) I am just curious where it starts to make an audible difference. 57mm string spread at bridge was the narrower I noticed.

2 1/16 with standard spacing I could not definitively hear. I thought I heard a volume decrease on the high e, but it wasn't nearly as extreme as the wider spaced bridges. The trembucker looked better and I thought it sounded better though it could have been placebo effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibson 1964 View Post
            Just curious what the bridge string spacing was. (I am in no way being argumentative, I have noticed a drop, but only on two bridges which were both fairly wide string spacings.) I am just curious where it starts to make an audible difference. 57mm string spread at bridge was the narrower I noticed.

2 1/16 with standard spacing I could not definitively hear. I thought I heard a volume decrease on the high e, but it wasn't nearly as extreme as the wider spaced bridges. The trembucker looked better and I thought it sounded better though it could have been placebo effect.
            At the time the Invader was only available standard spaced, and I had it in a Telecaster.

Twitter:
            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

2 3/16 string spread at the bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                I had an SH-8 Invader in an RG570 with an EDGE trem and never noticed a drop. Also, no issues with a Detonator in a Floyd-equipped guitar, either.

If you had a Tele with 54mm or greater spacing at the bridge, that would explain it, as the 53mm of the trems is certainly about as far as the "SH" design can be pushed reliably. Perhaps raising the pickup height or height of the pole pieces on each end could have helped your situation a bit, but, yes, it sounds like you *needed* a trem-spaced model.

However, the OP is using a 52mm bridge. He's looking at a spacing of around 51 over the pole pieces, so he shouldn't have an issue using a pickup of either spacing.

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                  I had an SH-8 Invader in an RG570 with an EDGE trem and never noticed a drop. Also, no issues with a Detonator in a Floyd-equipped guitar, either.

If you had a Tele with 54mm or greater spacing at the bridge, that would explain it, as the 53mm of the trems is certainly about as far as the "SH" design can be pushed reliably. Perhaps raising the pickup height or height of the pole pieces on each end could have helped your situation a bit, but, yes, it sounds like you *needed* a trem-spaced model.

However, the OP is using a 52mm bridge. He's looking at a spacing of around 51 over the pole pieces, so he shouldn't have an issue using a pickup of either spacing.
                  I ended up angling the pickup towards the lower strings as I'm a rhythm player anyway.

The Detonator is TB Spaced.

Typically standard spacing is 49-50mm and you want to use TB/F Spacing for anything larger.

Twitter:
                  @ArizonaVoters

Comment

If you want to get technical, the ideal solution for the OP is an F-spaced Dimarzio at 51mm, which would line up perfectly with the strings as they pass over the bridge pickup.

Interestingly, here is Dimarzio's official take on the suitability of their F-spaced models, which are not as wide as most "trem" spaced models in the industry (52-53mm, depending on the manufacturer):

"F-spaced humbuckers should be used in the bridge position on all guitars with string spacing at the bridge of 2.1" (53 mm) or greater"

The OP's application falls into an area where either a trembucker or standard spaced model will work with no difference in performance.

Comment

But the poles do line up better with a trembucker. At that point, I think it is cosmetic. Like I said, I used a hipshot with the same spacing and could get away with both, but the TB looked better. SDs TBs line up perfectly too, at least on my guitar with that spacing.

Comment

To be clear, this would just be for the bridge pickup and not the neck pickup?
                        Thanks again!

Comment

Yes

Comment

Working...
                          X