Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan lineup for a Bluesy Strat

We are talking three single coil slots, on a pick guard

I'd LIKE humbucking potential in the bridge, but I would also like classic Strat singleness, and a 'quack' sound so tapping the bridge is allowable (but don't have to)

What do you suggest - I'm open to anything, but like I said - Definitely want three single tones, but I'd also like to rock it.

What do you suggest?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: Duncan lineup for a Bluesy Strat

Ant surfers or Texas hots with custom version in the bridge

Comment

Or a Stag Mag in the bridge.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
        Ant surfers or Texas hots with custom version in the bridge
        Custom version of what???

Again, I really start thinking about a Lil 59 or lil Demon, or even lil Pearly in the bridge slot….

What would one of those tap/mix with in neck/mid

Comment

ssl1 ssl1 ssl5
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            Custom version of what???

Again, I really start thinking about a Lil 59 or lil Demon, or even lil Pearly in the bridge slot….

What would one of those tap/mix with in neck/mid
            In other words your thinking more HSS with auto split, but with a little humbucker in the bridge instead of a full sized one. I use a full sized Hber for my HSS strat so somebody with more experience with the Lil Hbers should probably help you there. HSS is great if you don't find a bridge strat single coil by itself all that useful for bluesy playing. I think you will be the most happy with this approach.

Other approaches are to use a hot single coil in the bridge position instead of a humbucker. Surfer or Texas Hot sets can be had with a hotter bridge position pickup wound to around 9k.

Then there's the SSL-5 hot bridge wind, of around 12k if I recall correctly, also called a Custom, that is the David Gilmore pickup.

Another approach is to use vintage output in all three positions in conjunction with a good overdrive pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
              ssl1 ssl1 ssl5
              +1

or ssl2 ssl2 ssl6 (flat version)

Comment

I like the SSL-3 in the bridge of mine. Has balls deluxe (great sustain and great for pinch harmonics) and retains the "quack"
                "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

I agree with the SSL-1's. I've been playing a set for about week. Effortlessly expressive, effortlessly stratty. With some pickups you have to hit the string kinda hard to get the jangle, sort like how you have to sometimes attack a Tele to get the twang out of it, but the SSL-1's dish up chime/sparkle/blabla with minimal pick attack. The SSL-1 is definitely the stimulant to the Ant I/II depressant. Very good for a more lively variety of blues.

It's strange to feel like I'm discovering a pickup that has been around since the mid 70's, but I guess the truth of it is that pickups are an experience to be had, and no amount of spilled ink or pressed keys, over any length of time, is going to substitute for that.
                  Last edited by DreX; 09-18-2014, 10:51 AM.

Comment

I have always liked a humbuckers on the bridge of a Strat
                    But since I got my MIM
                    I'm kinda digging the airy bite of the single they put there

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Put some APS-1 in the neck and middle. Add a Lil' 59. I'm a blues and classic rock player. Best tones I've ever had in a Stratocaster.

Comment

Since SSL-1s and the APS pups are being mentioned, anyone care to compare/contrast? I know about the mag differences, but how is it sounding to those using them in terms of bluesy?

Comment

My thinking (and the route I have gone) is you are a humbucker guy don't fight it. If you go S-S-S you will have a sweet axe but how often outside of playing blues will you use it? I would suggest a H-S-H configuration or H-S-S. You will have your single coil tons but when you want to play a bit of Guns or KISS you will have a serviceable axe. My P-rails/ssl1/PGn set gives me more than enough single coil tone and the guitar rocks when I need it to.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                            I agree with the SSL-1's. I've been playing a set for about week.
                            Dude, you should get some sleep. That's way too long.

Nod to Mitch Hedberg.

Comment

I guess I'm a bit scared of NOT having an HB bridge!

The SSL1's seem excellent though…

Now…for the bridge. Tough Choices!

Comment

Working...
                              X