Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg Bennett Avalon Pick-Up Recommendations

Guys,

Hi. I'm new to the threads, however I wanted to solicit your opinions (if you have one) about a guitar I've owned for a years now, a Greg Benett, Samick Avion Model Les Paul.

My problem with the current tones it produces are this:

I've been recording a lot using a Traynor YCV80 amplifier and I just recently produced our band's (The Lower Eastside Connection) self-titled album (in case you want to hear for yourself on CD Baby). In the making of this album, I recorded some guitar parts (although technically I am the bassist) after our original guitarist quit, and our newest guitar player recorded the others. He is using an Epiphone Les Paul model guitar and his tones are FAR better than mine. When I say better I mean that his guitar has far more clarity, articulation and sizzle or high end cripsiness that really cuts through! The solo's or leads were especially astounding, but also the rhythms just stand out more and I'm telling you it's the guitar, not the player.

The only time I have been able to get close to this sound is using plugins (hold your gasping) and jacking up the high end on some Amplitube pedals and such, and it's still not quiiite as good as micing my Traynor. Let's face it, no plugin will be like the real thing. Take everything except the guitar out of the equation since I used the same amp in the same room, with the sam emic and same cables etc.

I want to improve the sound of my Greg Bennet model, and I'm thinking pickups is the way to go since I can't afford another guitar (and if I could I am someday planning to buy a Fender Strat).

Can you recommend to me a good pair of pick-ups that will not kill my funds? (2 kids in daycare is enough)

Keep in mind I had the bridge pickup engaged and tone set almost all the way to high, and he did the same and there's a distinct difference between the guitars.

I want searing leads and thick, crunchy rhythm tones. Do you think I can get there with some new pickups? It's the sunburst model Avion 3 I believe (I can provide more details on the guitar itself if necessary)

Thanks for your time. Appreciate any advice you can give me.

Re: Greg Bennett Avalon Pick-Up Recommendations

2 things:

1) Consider upgrading the pots, etc. before you switch pickups. Depending on what's in there, higher quality components plus higher value pots might help to improve the articulation and let the top end shine through a bit more.

2) If you like your bandmate's tone, find out the year and specific model of Les Paul he has and see if he minds double-checking what pickups are in the guitar. If you can post some pics of the baseplates and labels/markings, we might be able to help you narrow down which models they are for sure. Epiphone pickups are VERY inexpensive on eBay, etc., so, if you like that tone and are worried about $$$, they might be the best bang-for-the-buck in your case.

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
      2 things:

1) Consider upgrading the pots, etc. before you switch pickups. Depending on what's in there, higher quality components plus higher value pots might help to improve the articulation and let the top end shine through a bit more.

2) If you like your bandmate's tone, find out the year and specific model of Les Paul he has and see if he minds double-checking what pickups are in the guitar. If you can post some pics of the baseplates and labels/markings, we might be able to help you narrow down which models they are for sure. Epiphone pickups are VERY inexpensive on eBay, etc., so, if you like that tone and are worried about $$$, they might be the best bang-for-the-buck in your case.

Nice, thanks for the reply.

1) I'm curious do you recommend upgrading pots first due to known issues with the guitar's hardware or just a try this first type thing?

2) So far, I know he ordered it right from Epiphone custom shop and he chose the pickups and can't remember what they were. I'll get him to take a pic and post when available. Def appreciate the help!

In the meantime I'm considering that every guitar is different and the woods used and such impact the tone tremendously. So, given you know the model and specs (below) is there any go-to pick-ups that come to mind? Realize that the low end is too much, I need some more cut through mid / top, I want better clarity and overall brighter, chime of a tone. The "Duncan Designed" stock ones are like for guitar players that want to hide, being buried too far deep in the muddy bass region, I want to shine. LOL

Body: Single Cutaway Mahogany
      Top: Bound, Carved, Flamed Maple
      Neck: Bound, Set Mahogany
      Nut Width: 1 5/8"
      Fingerboard: Rosewood (12" radius)

Comment

1) New pots were suggested simply as a "try this first" option based on possibly making the stock pickups work better for your needs. However, I would only recommend changing them if the stock components are indeed of lower quality or if the pots are of a lower value and restricting the highs that way. I haven't had any hands-on experience with the Avion, so I can't say for sure what kind of parts it uses. If Greg Bennett did opt for cheaper electronics, then new pots might be beneficial, regardless of what pickups you end up going with. However, if the wiring is done right and the pots are of good quality and the correct value, then new pickups would be the next logical step.

2) The woods, hardware, scale and construction of your Avion is 99% the same as your friend's Epiphone Les Paul. Yes, every guitar is different, but that also applies to guitars of the same make/model (ex: two identical looking Epiphone Les Pauls can have major differences in their tone, feel and response). Just "how" different your guitar is from his is best determined by trying the same pickups he has in your guitar and seeing if you like them. More than likely, the same pickups will give you most of what you prefer in his tone, assuming the difference isn't in the playing ability as you mentioned.

In case I missed it...you did try both guitars through the same amp and signal chain with the same settings, correct?

Comment

As long as the pots are 500k, you're probably fine with the stock ones. Replacing them with higher quality pots won't fix an underlying issue with muddy stock pickups. If they are the Duncan Designed pickups, find out what model they are. HB101s are based on 59s, HB102s are based on JB/Jazz, HB103s are based on Distortions. I can't see the HB103s being muddy. There will be a sticker on the bottom of each pickup. Just loosen the strings enough to remove the 4 screws on the corners of the pickup rings and lift them out and flip them over.

If you're on a budget and you've got a Les Paul-ish guitar, I'd recommend the GFS Crunchy PAT in the bridge and GFS Classic AlNiCo 2 in the neck. Should be able to grab the pair for about $60-ish.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
            As long as the pots are 500k, you're probably fine with the stock ones. Replacing them with higher quality pots won't fix an underlying issue with muddy stock pickups.
            +1. Pots aren't your problem. Almost every import guitar maker uses 500K's with their HB's.
            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
            X