Soldering Novice here... need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soldering Novice here... need some help

Make sure no bare wires are leaning against something, and look to see if solder has dripped down making a connection you did not intend to make. Triple check your wiring schematic.

Comment

I still feel it is either the Volume pot or the switch. Try this connect just one pickup to the volume and then to the jack and see if the buzz goes. If it still persist connect it directly to the jack.
      Last edited by Jocelyn; 09-26-2014, 12:02 AM.
      sigpic
      Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
      JFG Flying V,
      "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
      John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

From looking at your pics, it looks like you have applied a lot of heat to those pots and switch (not excessive heat, but too little heat over too much time). Could be you fried the pot.

I would do similar to what others have suggested, but start by connecting the humbucker directly to the output jack. There should be no hum. Now wire the pup to the vol pot (no other wires attached anywhere) and to the jack. Any hum? Continue adding components until the hum starts. The last item added is the culprit (or the soldering/wiring connected to it).

Good luck.
        Last edited by GuitarDoc; 09-26-2014, 08:13 AM.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

FIXED IT!! In my process of soldering and resoldering all the grounds again i got the hum to go away for the most part, so it was one of the ground wires that wasn't soldered properly. it still does hum a tad, but for me it's bearable, and once i start playing you can't hear it at all. so thanks for the help guys!!

Comment

I would get rid of that switch and get a Fender or an Ernie Ball 5 way and get a diagram and wire it up, those import switches always cook out so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by dancox27 View Post
              FIXED IT!! In my process of soldering and resoldering all the grounds again i got the hum to go away for the most part, so it was one of the ground wires that wasn't soldered properly. it still does hum a tad, but for me it's bearable, and once i start playing you can't hear it at all. so thanks for the help guys!!
              Thanks for telling us what it was. If you plan to mod your guitar often, you should buy a spool of hookup wire, Kester pocket solder, a solder sucker, a soldering iron with a fine tip and a sponge for cleaning the soldering iron, and rewire it all clean and minimally, using only as much wire as is necessary to get from component to component neatly, and then it will be easy to avoid these sorts of issues.

Originally posted by Uncle Fred View Post
              I would get rid of that switch and get a Fender or an Ernie Ball 5 way and get a diagram and wire it up, those import switches always cook out so easy.
              IMO, if you're burning parts, you're doing it wrong, or at least not using the right tools.

Comment

Working...
              X