Blog: Zephyr Silver Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blog: Zephyr Silver Pickups

When I said "if money were no object" ...

I would really like to play a pair of the Zephyr single coils ... side by side with a pair of SSL2s which I use and think are great. If I thought the Zephyr sounded significantly better I would make whatever sacrifice necessary to buy a couple. I am not a professional player, but I want what I want and I find a way to get it.

The problem is that I can't afford to try them and not think they sound significantly better.
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
      I suspect that "deserving" or "not deserving" may not always be about someone deciding they are unworthy due to a lack of skill. Someone might only mean that they can't justify the cost based on their income or because of other, more demanding financial responsibilities. I can imagine, for example, that if I was married to a woman whose income was 30 to 40 percent greater than mine and who, as a result, covered a larger percentage of the household bills, I might feel that I didn't "deserve" a personal extravagance even if we, with our combined incomes, could afford it.
      Arties comment was
      Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      I don't think it's about money.
      So not sure why your going back that point...
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
        Arties comment was

So not sure why your going back that point...
        I'm not sure why I do anything, but I wasn't really talking about Artie's comment. I was talking about people in general. Mostly I was ignoring a task I needed to complete.
        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I probably could have worded my statement better. Barley and hops may have been involved.

I just meant that, for me, I couldn't justify that extravagant of a purchase, considering my skill level. As I look around my music room, I realize that I've amassed quite a "collection" of guitars and pickups. I need lessons before I need any new gear. (Which, btw, I've started taking.)

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
            They know these things are essentially a waste of money, but there's an ethic that says a pro needs good tools, so if they are a pro, then buying a good tool ceases to be waste of money. But what I find is the more skilled you become, the more you realize that the "good tool" is actually pretty cheap, and you're back to square one, trying to figure out how to justify buying a jewel encrusted guitar, or silver, as it were.
            As long as you mistake function for quality or tone characteristics you cease listening. At that point you have closed your ears and are making assessments based on your monetary price/value system and not sound. The same is true when you mistake price for quality, either high or low. I understand the implication, unfortunately these wide sweeping generalizations (self-autobiographical perspectives) are not a 'pro' reality Drex. The more skilled you become, the more your taste refines. That's all. Another way of saying this is your ear become less 'general' and becomes more specific and more specific and more specific. Your tone become more holistic. At that point, all gear of all levels and all price points become relevant possibilities. There is no justification needed in using gear of any kind or price point, there is only a tonal goal. The only justification needed for the tools you choose is dictated by your own values system. We see those value system limitations and supporting self validations revealed in posts consistently. Great tools are neither expensive nor cheap. There is no defining measure outside of personal specifics. $300 per pickup is not expensive, it is just expensive to some and in relationship to the 'alternatives'.

It's important to note, the tone (and inherent physical function) of a Zephyr pickup cannot be had any other way. There is no alternative. It's one pickup line where you can't pretend to know, speculate or super-impose your experience of other pickups as a reference point. The Zephyr is not a 'better' or 'worse' sounding pickup than any other pickup out there. That is an erroneous thought. It is however an unprecedented transparent, unhindered pickup providing a platform for greater frequency response and note definition than any copper wire or alnico pickup. Until you play them, those will only be words, you can't know and you don't get to know. BTW, It's not subtle, its immediate and its really revealing of your playing and the rest of your gear. Alot of players won't like that. Kevin Beller is a brilliant engineer. The Zephyr is case in point and no small matter.

Cheers,

RG
            Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Gene View Post
              Kevin Beller is a brilliant engineer.
              +1
              Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
              Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

+2

Comment

As long as you mistake function for quality or tone characteristics you cease listening.
                  I think you're conflating the quest for a certain tone with the understanding people have that a pricey Gibson is necessarily more professional than a cheap Epiphone. The fact is, a professional guitarist can do his thing with a cheap Epiphone and still sound like a professional guitarist. In a recording, or at a concert with eyes closed, you will not know if you're hearing a Gibson or a an Epiphone in the professional's hands, and therefore, it can be said, a professional tool can be had for cheap.

It's important to note, the tone (and inherent physical function) of a Zephyr pickup cannot be had any other way. There is no alternative. It's one pickup line where you can't pretend to know, speculate or super-impose your experience of other pickups as a reference point.

Nor should you "pretend to know, speculate or super-impose your experience of other pickups" when in your claim that "the tone of a Zephyr pickup cannot be had any other way." This gets back to the capacitor debate, the existence of a physical difference in the components doesn't necessarily mean you will hear a different sound if a) the function is identical, or b) if the difference is inaudible. You can't say "this pickup is silver, therefore you will hear a difference" any more than you can say "this capacitor is made from paper in oil, therefore you will hear a difference."
                  Last edited by DreX; 10-16-2014, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I think you're conflating the quest for a certain tone with the understanding people have that a pricey Gibson is necessarily more professional than a cheap Epiphone. The fact is, a professional guitarist can do his thing with a cheap Epiphone and still sound like a professional guitarist. In a recording, or at a concert with eyes closed, you will not know if you're hearing a Gibson or a an Epiphone in the professional's hands, and therefore, it can be said, a professional tool can be had for cheap.

Nor should you "pretend to know, speculate or super-impose your experience of other pickups" when in your claim that "the tone of a Zephyr pickup cannot be had any other way." This gets back to the capacitor debate, the existence of a physical difference in the components doesn't necessarily mean you will hear a different sound if a) the function is identical, or b) if the difference is inaudible. You can't say "this pickup is silver, therefore you will hear a difference" any more than you can say "this capacitor is made from paper in oil, therefore you will hear a difference."
                    LOL, no conflating. It's neither complicated nor that serious. BTW, it was the proverbial 'you'. Not ...you. And I don't pretend anything. At least not intentionally. I am always willing to back up anything I say with real life experience and documentation Drex. I find anything less than that to be a waste of my own time and personally I would find the 'internet forum' to be much more enjoyable if accountability was present to a greater degree rather than the anonymous user names and Google search or wiki answers that run rampant disguised as knowledge.

The 'tone quest' is a simple and clear idea and all of it counts. I have been active in these ideas (or rather the same discussion) for 17 years online and more before that. As for 'peoples' perception of 'pro' gear, like I said I understand the implication but you can only speak for yourself. That's the point. It does not speak for me nor reflect any players I know nor any real life experiences here. Gear is never diminished nor praised in real-time, on stage, in the studio. It's a silly notion. Nobody cares. The only thing that matters is if your tone is appropriate and if you can play. All of the rest is internet dribble.

As for what makes a professional's instrument, that conversation is a dead end here caught up in word play. But what is relevant, is that there is no pining or whining or justifying the cost of a tool. Maybe for you, OK. But again, not here. I don't care if someone else finds the cost of some gear offensive. As for the rest,..theories are fine but if you honestly believe that silver wire has an equal tonal alternative in copper, cool. Show it. Also, if you believe that the players who have been playing these and the engineers involved have shared the same pitcher of crazy juice and 'pretend', then cool. We'll all be crazy together. Nobody cares, LOL. Seriously, why not just give them a go instead? I invite you to play them because until you actually do, it's just going to be theories to you and fuel for fodder.

I'll leave with this (as in literally)... speaking only for myself; the only waste of money ever... is spent is buying gear you didn't want or you compromised for.

Cheers, RG

Edit:...be easy about it all. All of it relevant but none of this is serious. We should be making music the main subject.
                    Last edited by Rodney Gene; 10-16-2014, 04:48 PM.
                    Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Comment

I don't believe we're in disagreement about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                        I think it might void your warranty...
                        I think it might void your magnet.
                        Originally posted by Myaccount876
                        Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Have these been tested in a semi hollow guitar?

And what about with a full range speaker setup?
                          Last edited by DarkMatter; 10-17-2014, 02:20 AM.

Comment

a professional guitarist can do his thing with a cheap Epiphone and still sound like a professional guitarist. In a recording, or at a concert with eyes closed, you will not know if you're hearing a Gibson or a an Epiphone in the professional's hands"
                            Amen to that!

I've recently recorded an entire project with a € 200,00 guitar. The most obvious detail, which Is often overlooked, is that your job as a musician is first and foremost to play the right notes at the right time. If you can do that, the tone you use seldom Is matter of discussion.

HTH,
                            Last edited by LtKojak; 10-18-2014, 05:36 AM.

Comment

I'm very intrested in buying the Zephyr pickups for my Fender american Deluxe HSS. But im'm not seeing very much information on them and very many reviews. Are these pickups worth the big bucks i'd spend on them and how much of a diffrence would they make? Is there other recomendations other people have tried in thier strats that they would recomend? I just bought the Chapman ML-1 Hotrod with the SD pickup and could tell a nice diffrence in sound. (becomming a SD Fan).
                              You can never have to many Guitars!

Comment

Originally posted by Novagoth View Post
                                Are these pickups worth the big bucks i'd spend on them and how much of a diffrence would they make?
                                The very few people I know who owns such p'ups think the money was well-spent and worth every out-given penny.

HTH,

Comment

Working...
                                X