No announcement yet.

Forum design vote #6 (Choose wisely)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Forum design vote #6 (Choose wisely)

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    Not always, but i mean actually define the rough output level cause to some a P90 might be hot cause they normally play vintage output singles... To guys who play EMG's they might be pretty weak.

So whats the baseline? To me when you say P90 tone I think of the tone that came from my uncles 65 SG special. It was rude and aggressive but about as loud as a medium out put humbucker. They lack the high end glassiness of vintage strat pups. They have a rudeness in the midrange and are fat but not overly so. The bass is firm but not particularly percussive. The attack is easy feeling but not spongy.

To me this is my idea of P90 tone
    That sounds like a great description. Aggressive to me is something like a 78 whereas an Alnico 2 pro would be the exact opposite. It should not have a smooth, pretty clean tone.

Comment

P-90s should have a smooth even tone when dialed, back and get ornery when cranked. I think, ideally it'd have a little more heft than a Phat Cat, but there are limitations due to hum-cancelling. I was thinking maybe something along the lines, sonically, of a P-90ified BG-1400. That's the most exciting-sounding Duncan Stack. Maybe slightly lower output but wider-sounding in the mids and just a hair looser in the bass, so it doesn't get mistaken for a classic bucker when cranked.
      Last edited by Maggot; 03-02-2015, 05:41 PM.

Comment

I say come up with a name for the hybrid, declare them both winners and let the admins know there are two forum pickups, and if they say no to that, then there's no forum pickup. I don't see how it matters if it's officiated though, I'm not expecting a big discount or anything. However, even if I were to order a Zebro of my own accord, I'd still like some clarification on how the half coil will be fabricated to ensure that I'm not just getting a 3+3.

Comment

My idea of P90 tone is a very full sound along the whole midrange spectrum with a spike in the upper mids, relaxed single-coil low end, single coil upper harmonics, output that would equate to a moderate output humbucker, and rolled off treble when compared to a strat or tele bridge pickup. I would like that in a humbucker casing with more emphasis on natural harmonics to make leads scream, and improved note definition for open chords under gain. That would be perfect IMO. Hum cancelling would be a big plus, but if it compromises the tone too much, I can live without it. Maybe put a little extra thought into the design to make the hum more bearable.
          Last edited by Myaccount876; 03-02-2015, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
            I say come up with a name for the hybrid, declare them both winners and let the admins know there are two forum pickups, and if they say no to that, then there's no forum pickup. I don't see how it matters if it's officiated though, I'm not expecting a big discount or anything. However, even if I were to order a Zebro of my own accord, I'd still like some clarification on how the half coil will be fabricated to ensure that I'm not just getting a 3+3.
            yes. this. Why not both? The forum clearly wants both. Let's make the zebro and see how it ends up, tonally. The hybrid, great.

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
              The recent direction of this thread has got me thinking - would people be more interested in the zebro if we ditched the Z idea and just asked for a hum cancelling p90 in a humbucker route? After all, that was the original purpose of the idea, and if the Z part is turning people off, we should ask how crucial to the end result it really is.
              Thank you bro. This is what i wanted to say. But did not. The whole idea is a p90 hum cancelling tone . I might be wrong but I am getting the feeling many of us are more interested in designing the pickup rather then then letting the custom shop do it. Let us tell them the TONe that we want. That is how the Brobucker was done.
              Last edited by Jocelyn; 03-03-2015, 01:34 AM.
              sigpic
              Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
              JFG Flying V,
              "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
              John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

How much email contact is there, anyway, DarkMatter?

I had regular pings, including just recently, that the split-style pickup is still in play anyway, since April 2014.

Does all this mean SD maybe plans to give us a run with two pickups? I haven't heard anything on that detail.

Comment

^ I still have not heard from them. How recent was your last email from them? And could you be more specific about what they have told you? I just sent Scott a PM so hopefully he can help get things moving.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMatter View Post
                    ^ I still have not heard from them. How recent was your last email from them? And could you be more specific about what they have told you? I just sent Scott a PM so hopefully he can help get things moving.
                    You know we should put the public efforts on hold and get everybody actually involved on a nice CC list in an email.

I mean it really looks like maybe a run with two pickups is in the cards. That would so make good for all the trouble. But right now I am utterly confused. And I have a suspicion that the same applies to everybody else.

Comment

The draw in this poll is actually very nice icing on the confusion cake

Comment

This seems to have gone unnoticed in another thread about trouble contacting SD:

Originally posted by marcboomer View Post
                        Seymour Duncan here. I hate excuses. (however we are having some issues with our systems, sorry). Please contact me direct ar X1002 or boomer@. Thanks much for your patience!
                        Make no mistake, though, not getting a response via email has nothing at all to do with us.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                          This seems to have gone unnoticed in another thread about trouble contacting SD:

Make no mistake, though, not getting a response via email has nothing at all to do with us.
                          Can you chill out a bit, please? I'm not gonna bite the hand that is feeding me the handmade pickups.

We just need a bit more initiative here.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                            That would so make good for all the trouble.
                            Wait what? You say that like SD owes us something... Sorry but I dont see a few unanswered emails as being much trouble as far as the user group pickup goes.
                            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I'm just gonna buy me a bluesbucker and call it good.

Jeebus...

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                                I'm just gonna buy me a bluesbucker and call it good.

Jeebus...
                                Exactly. They almost perfectly nail the P90 tone (moreso than any humbucker-sized "P90" I've ever tried, and I've tried a ****-ton), and they do it all while looking bone stock - complete sleepers. In the world of humbucker-sized P90's, there's no way to improve on them IMO.
                                Originally posted by LesStrat
                                Yogi Berra was correct.
                                Originally posted by JOLLY
                                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X