No announcement yet.

Forum design vote #6 (Choose wisely)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Forum design vote #6 (Choose wisely)

Originally posted by DreX View Post
    There's so much accumulated ill will on this forum (even well before I began posting regularly) that I was surprised forum pickups were even a thing, like how there was enough agreement to result in a StraBro 90 or a BroBucker seemed hard to fathom and I was looking forward to seeing something magically come together, but in the end, this what has happened is pretty much what I would have expected.
    According to legend, the Brobucker was creating during a golden era. Before the dark times. Before the board was overrun by shredders, metalheads, and worst of all, members recruited through Facebook.*
    The biggest debate was whether it should have an Alnico 2 or 5.

The Brobucker was still a fairly unified vision, and it was a standard layout. It was the only one that still gets praise to this day. I fear that will never happen again.

*sarcasm
    Last edited by DarkMatter; 03-02-2015, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Almost at the 1-year anniversary of the last design round. FWIW I didn't see that in time to vote.

Comment

Maybe we should entertain the notion that there are enough different kinds of pickups in world. And if there's not everything that everyone wants, since when did having everything you want contribute to good music? It seems like part of the issue here is that our needs are pretty well taken care of.

Jah knows, it woulda been a catastrophe if Link Wray or Hubert Sumlin had been able to choose between 400 different kinds of pickups and amps, or if all the 50s and 60s cats had had their wishes granted for amps that never break up.

Then what am I doing here, you might ask? Just living life in a consumer society like the rest of y'all.

Seriously, my new suggestion (as unsolicited as can be) is put something cool in a dog ear cover and call it a day. I was seriously hamstrung trying to replace pickups in my Epiphone P-93. And there were 3 of them. I woulda put someone's kid through college if I hadn't sold the guitar.
        Last edited by Maggot; 03-02-2015, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMatter View Post
          According to legend, the Brobucker was creating during a golden era. Before the dark times. Before the board was overrun by shredders, metalheads, and worst of all, members recruited through Facebook.*
          The biggest debate was whether it should have an Alnico 2 or 5.

The Brobucker was still a fairly unified vision, and it was a standard layout. It was the only one that still gets praise to this day. I fear that will never happen again.
          The brobucker was created in pretty much the opposite way this pickup was attempted. It was a bunch of forumites talking about a glaring hole in the SD lineup, a mid output PAF styled humbucker. It was a pretty unified vision that was then brought to the custom shop. The forum was a lot more civil back then as well if memory serves me correctly (it may not).

I have no issues with how this round of forum pickup was voted on, but the constant attacks on other designs and petty jabs at each other has made me lose desire to want whatever pickup is decided on.
          Quality riffs in about a minute...
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMatter View Post
            Are you sure about that?
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]61424[/ATTACH]
            I'll be damned...

Ok. I stand corrected. I DID say that... but I didn't REALLY mean it... and I didn't inhale!!!

I kid, I kid.

Man, I'm ooooooooooold!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It's all good Kojak. I do think the idea works best as a hybrid though. Something about have 2 different winding patterns makes for an interesting effect.

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
                The brobucker was created in pretty much the opposite way this pickup was attempted. It was a bunch of forumites talking about a glaring hole in the SD lineup, a mid output PAF styled humbucker. It was a pretty unified vision that was then brought to the custom shop. The forum was a lot more civil back then as well if memory serves me correctly (it may not).
                That's what I've been saying. But what happened then could not happen now. I tried when I started the idea thread in January. My hope was that a good idea would come along and everyone would jump onboard.

The Brobucker also came with several spec requirements, granted, those specs were logical parts of a recipe. The spec talk cannot work now because of the dispersed interests.
                Last edited by DarkMatter; 03-02-2015, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Everybody relax. It's just a tie. It isn't like something horrible is going on. We came up with two cool ideas, and we're split on them. BFD. There is no reason to be talking about how horribly this forum pickup went just because of some close votes. We just make some adjustments and have a re-vote. My ideas for adjustments are contained several posts back: represent/describe the choices better (hopefully by demonstrating prototypes in action), bar further discussion once that poll opens, and close voting to accounts that were not created before the first of the year.
                  Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-02-2015, 10:42 AM.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I don't think anybody is TOO worked up. I'm just disappointed that I was not able to gather and/or maintain more interest in the project.

Comment

Backtracking now would be foolish and would probably just lead to even more conflicts. Some version of these 2 concepts have remained the most popular. I don't even think we should re-frame the Zebro. We recognized that it will not be a true p90 and that was not the important part of the original idea anyway. It was about having a different way of blending single coil and humbucker properties.

I'm definitely liking the idea of demoing both. Perhaps hearing them in action could even bring more members in on this.

Comment

Truth is I do remember the good old times (not that old) where most people were civil except for that lone court jester (was never the same but usually only just one) with the occasional tough-guy that was sooner rather than later driven away.
                        I still remember when we'd mention TGP to illustrate the contrast in attitude and elitism. It appears as the forum grew older these things sipped in all the same. I still like visiting here as this forum holds a special place in my heart and memory but it indeed is not what it once was.

So, to business. Itsabass has a point. But people that want the two ideas to be construction-agnostic have a point as well. I humbly re-suggest the following (as always subject to change):

The two pickups we suggest are:
                        • The ZeBro:
                          Intended as a drop in replacement in a humbucker route, the Zebro is intended to be a hum-cancelling pickup that aims to faithfully (as possible) recreate a P-90 coil voicing. The tone should be aggressive with full, great harmonics.
                        • The Yet-To-Be-Named-Humbucker:
                          Inspired by the SD 59/Custom, the YTBNH is based on the concept of refining the aforementioned pickup but with more upper mid focus, more controlled bass, cleaner and clearer while retaining the telltale sonic complexity of mismatched-coil humbuckers!
                          An additional request by many forum members is that the neck pickup of the set would match the current SD 59/Custom pickup as a balanced set

The above descriptions are based on DarkMatter's own at the OP of this thread while removing any hints of construction direction.

Comments/suggestions?
                        Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                        I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                        Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                        Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by KeeperOS View Post
                          Intended as a drop in replacement in a humbucker route, the Zebro is intended to be a hum-cancelling pickup that aims to faithfully (as possible) recreate a P-90 coil voicing. The tone should be aggressive with full, great harmonics.
                          Comments/suggestions?
                          My only suggestion is get a clear definition of whats meant by P90 tone. I know of at least a few that were hoping for low output and others hoping for something louder. So define exactly what constitutes P90 tone. Full with great harmonics says little.
                          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Usually, aggressive means louder, could be wrong though.
                            I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                            Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by KeeperOS View Post
                              Usually, aggressive means louder, could be wrong though.
                              Not always, but i mean actually define the rough output level cause to some a P90 might be hot cause they normally play vintage output singles... To guys who play EMG's they might be pretty weak.

So whats the baseline? To me when you say P90 tone I think of the tone that came from my uncles 65 SG special. It was rude and aggressive but about as loud as a medium out put humbucker. They lack the high end glassiness of vintage strat pups. They have a rudeness in the midrange and are fat but not overly so. The bass is firm but not particularly percussive. The attack is easy feeling but not spongy.

To me this is my idea of P90 tone
                              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Ditto!

Comment

Working...
                                X