Cutting pole piece screws.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cutting pole piece screws.

I cut off all poles flush with the baseplate. It does tighten up the bass and midrange response.

Comment

Hello

I have cut in half the pole pieces screws on a SH2N because the screws where too long to fit in the pickup cavity of an Ibanez RG1527.
      And now I have practically no sound in parralel mode ! It works fine in classic humbucker mode (serie wiring)

I wonder if cutting the pole screws can had a impact on the output level of the pickup ?

Thanks

Comment

I bought hex poles that are 5/8 inches instead of 3/4 like the fillisters they were to replace on my Pegasus. Just that 1/8 made the sound tighter on the low strings. Over all just a touch steely. I haven’t tried doing it to the unwound strings yet but I do want them brighter. I think the Pegasus relies on the long fillisters to give it the rounded sound it has. I hope the replacements will give me a Goldilocks middle ground since they are still 1/8 or so below the baseplate.

Comment

It's hard to remember from 15 years ago, but I don't recall ever actually cutting my screws off.

Comment

Originally posted by stecova View Post
            I wonder if cutting the pole screws can had a impact on the output level of the pickup?
            No, cutting them flush with the baseplate should not affect the pickup's output. In your case, something is likely wrong with either the pickup's internal wiring or (more likely) the way you have the guitar wired.

Have you taken individual measurements of the 2 coils to make sure they are both working correctly?

Can you post pics of the wiring?

Comment

Working...
            X