X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saturday Night Special

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
    About how product names are chosen?

Or about the background of the "saturday night special" phrase?

Actually, I'd have figured people looking to complain would be uptight over the gun reference than anything other connotation. Especially so soon after Orlando.
    The name made me smile, but given my username (no, it's not a heroin reference), it shouldn't be a surprise.
    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
      If you want a T-top tone....
      look at Manlius or Brandonwound. Brandonwound actually has T-Top molds. I checked out a Brandonwound T-Top bridge as part of his Page set, and I dig it, man. Go on, Luke, you know you need to check those out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
        The name made me smile, but given my username (no, it's not a heroin reference), it shouldn't be a surprise.
        Same here. I might have owned a Saturday night special at points in my life. The name made me smile and want to try it. Then again, I am not the sort of guy to be easily offended by such things. I suspect I might be the target audience. And I am building a new LP.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibson 1964 View Post
          I suspect I might be the target audience...
          Awwwwwpp...I see what you did there....

Comment

Arrived today

I know they're going after the 70s vibe and all, but what's up with including a Benjamin covered in white powder?

J/K

Comment

Blatant attempt at influencing your favor...
              "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

I've been thinking of which new pickups I'd like to try in my new LP teaburst flametop, and now the decision is harder.....Whole Lotta's, CS Pearly Gates, or Saturday Night Specials. I'm still leaning toward Whole Lotta's though.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Darth, you pickup slut, you

There are getting to be SO many options for any given family of pickups like Gearjoneser said.

Still, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on these!
                  Last edited by Masta' C; 07-13-2016, 11:08 PM.

Comment

I look forward to hearing what you think of them.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                      I've been thinking of which new pickups I'd like to try in my new LP teaburst flametop, and now the decision is harder.....Whole Lotta's, CS Pearly Gates, or Saturday Night Specials. I'm still leaning toward Whole Lotta's though.
                      I will cheerlead all day and night for the WLH set. And I think you would like them Joe. They are a different animal and unlike the older production line paf/low output pickups. They dont have that "signature" duncan midrange and toppy-ness (which I dont care for). I hemmed and hawed for 2 years about them, and I would have saved myself alot of money on other things had I just put then in my #1 from the get-go.

The CS PG would be on my list to try too.

That said, my opinion is to always address whatever the individual guitar needs, not necessarily what I want the guitar to have.
                      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response; I was working.

"Saturday Night Special" was a pejorative name for a cheap handgun used largely by African Americans, and was based on the old (offensive) expression that African Americans had 'eight days per week; Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Saturday Night.' The implication was, of course, that Saturday Night was especially raucous. There was a predecessor for the term 'Saturday Night Special' too offensive to discuss here, but a link for those interested:
                        http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...ight%20Special

Again-not trying to be the PC police, not implying anyone should be offended; I just thought the origins of that expression were more widely known than they apparently are. In more enlightened firearms circles it is considered quite racist, and is avoided for that reason.

Stressing this; not trying to change anyone's opinion, just was surprised. Nothing more.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                          Darth, you pickup slut, you
                          there is no higher compliment from masta'c, in my opinon.

you should see one of the back burner projects I've been working on. I have about 18 JB models that I've been going through, collecting readings (resistance, inductance, and capacitance). ranging from a nylon bobbin double cream The JB Model (with some help from another dedicated pickup aficionado) to JBJs to TB4Js (even a TB4G) to the 90s label to the new labels to a Antiquity JB (with some help from a totally different aficionado) and even 2 fairly recent Custom Shop JBs. been talking about and wanting to do something like this for several years.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          I look forward to hearing what you think of them.
                          just had it since yesterday, so still running it through some paces. official review will be up next Wednesday. it does conjure comparisons to the WLH in a few respects, although a little more open-sounding in the bridge and even more control in the lows of the neck. the bride has 3% offset coils and the neck has 1% offset, which can both fall as much to standard tolerances than to an intentional choice.

Comment

If they're sold individually, the neck model sounds the most appealing on paper.

I'd like to try the bridge, but still lean toward A5 and A2, like Seymour always has before now.

Overall, I'm just excited to try some new "hot PAF's." For years, most of my guitars have been dialed in with pickups like Brobucker, UOA5 C5, C/59, Burstbucker 1/2, PG, Seths, etc.
                            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The comparison with the WLH set is what I am most interested in. They seem to cover similar ground in a different way (on paper). But I haven't heard them side-by-side.

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                              there is no higher compliment from masta'c, in my opinon.

you should see one of the back burner projects I've been working on. I have about 18 JB models that I've been going through, collecting readings (resistance, inductance, and capacitance). ranging from a nylon bobbin double cream The JB Model (with some help from another dedicated pickup aficionado) to JBJs to TB4Js (even a TB4G) to the 90s label to the new labels to a Antiquity JB (with some help from a totally different aficionado) and even 2 fairly recent Custom Shop JBs. been talking about and wanting to do something like this for several years.

just had it since yesterday, so still running it through some paces. official review will be up next Wednesday. it does conjure comparisons to the WLH in a few respects, although a little more open-sounding in the bridge and even more control in the lows of the neck. the bride has 3% offset coils and the neck has 1% offset, which can both fall as much to standard tolerances than to an intentional choice.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                                The comparison with the WLH set is what I am most interested in. They seem to cover similar ground in a different way (on paper). But I haven't heard them side-by-side.
                                Both are slightly hot-rodded PAFs.

I think the WLH is a little thicker, where the SNS is a little more open... maybe like a ballsier Seth Lover, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X