• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Saturday Night Special

Originally posted by Benthedemon007 View Post
    But does it djent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I bet it would, better than you would expect.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Benthedemon007 View Post
      But does it djent?
      You should consider the Black Winter set for djent.

HTH,

Comment

You think a vintage-hot A4 can't do djent?

I bet it can

Comment

• Saturday Night Special

I wonder when they are for sale in Europe, must try a pair of these in a LP or SG.
          Doug Rappoports demo was awesome.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
          Last edited by Lindgren; 07-17-2016, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindgren View Post
            I wonder when they are for sale in Europe,
            The only way is to get'em through Thomann.

Most local distributors don't stock the whole Duncan catalog.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              What's the ideal candidate guitar for this set? (Les Paul Standard, Custom, SG, Explorer, etc.)
              I would guess any LP (std or custom) or an SG. After that, maybe an ES-335 and variations. But it sounds like it was 'made for' an LP first.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                What's the ideal candidate guitar for this set? (Les Paul Standard, Custom, SG, Explorer, etc.)
                Any guitar where you'd want more transparency in the bridge and more low-end control in the neck, when compared to a 59 or WLH set.

Comment

I am waiting with great interest for the You Tube vid which, I'm sure, will eventually appear, comparing the SNS neck with either the Tonerider IV or Iron Gear Blues Engine. Both these budget Alnico IV neck pups have, quite justifiably , acquired a considerable number of fans over the years although the trend has been to usually mix them with an A2 (or sometimes an A5) Bridge.

Obviously the SNS's are going to have a great following but the sound comparison will be most interesting.

Comment

SD says:

"Think 70s arena rock, walls of non-master-volume Marshalls, cherry sunburst Les Pauls, denim and maybe a fringed jacket."

Whatever, I reckon I could make it Djent!

EDIT: But not for £300 ..... what are they made of? Are Hendrix's pubes wound on the bobbins?
                    Last edited by Lysergene; 07-18-2016, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lysergene View Post
                      But not for £300 ..... what are they made of? Are Hendrix's pubes wound on the bobbins?
                      I know international options are limited due to distributor agreements, but that's quite a price hike! Perhaps there's someone out there who won't mind shipping overseas? I'm seeing the USD equivalent of £160 from retailers here in the U.S.!

Comment

Does anyone know what magnet wire is being used? I assume 42 gauge plain enamel for the neck. 43 for the bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave R View Post
                          Does anyone know what magnet wire is being used? I assume 42 gauge plain enamel for the neck. 43 for the bridge?
                          42 plain enamel for the bridge.

Have a question in about the wire right now myself.

the bridge is clearly PE...same as the 59, WLH, Seth, for example.

the neck appears to be poly, such as the Jazz, Slash, eye.

The SNS set is advertised as being wound on the Leesona. The word has always been that the Leesona was always for PE, so this would be a bit of a change.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                            42 plain enamel for the bridge.

Have a question in about the wire right now myself.

the bridge is clearly PE...same as the 59, WLH, Seth, for example.

the neck appears to be poly, such as the Jazz, Slash, eye.

The SNS set is advertised as being wound on the Leesona. The word has always been that the Leesona was always for PE, so this would be a bit of a change.
                            Interesting. I'd like to know, too. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                              The SNS set is advertised as being wound on the Leesona. The word has always been that the Leesona was always for PE.
                              All Duncan PE p'ups are wound on the Leesona, as it's setup and calibrated for it. All PE one-offs (the Phat Staple comes to mind) on the Meteor found in the Custom Shop, IIRC.

Are your sure the SNS neck is wound with poly wire?

Comment

If memory serves, Duncan only claims to wind 42PE on the Leesona. I don't think they make a claim that any 43 or 44PE coils would be wound on the Leesona.

There were a few times a Duncan employee listed some models that they said were wound on the Leesona, but it wasn't accurate. They incorrectly included the Alnico II Pro, or the Jazz, and later realized the error because those are not Plain Enamel. You can tell just by looking through the drain hole that they're bright copper colored.

Comment

Working...
                                X