• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Introducing Thrash Factor!

Originally posted by justFred View Post
    extra-ordinary guitar tones due to the Plexi lead amplifiers

Comment

Introducing Thrash Factor!

Without reading through 5 pages, has anyone taken into consideration that the Rust in Peace Jackson was a maple neck thru, poplar or alder winged guitar, whereas his current Deans are mahogany with maybe a maple top? Seems like he’s trying for his new Deans to sound like his old Jackson, and to make up for the difference in body woods

Comment

What's a JBJ?

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
          What's a JBJ?
          A JB wound by Maricela Juarez.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Ahh...MJ.

Comment

My second Duncan pickup was a JBJ, specifically a trembucker that read something like 17.6k. I stuck the ceramic magnet from a Detonator in it, and came up with my stupid name on here, though it eventually went back to original. As far as where I stand on the JBJ mythos, I don't know if it was because it was MJ wound, because it was a TB4, because it was wound slightly hot, the lack of a logo... whatever, that pickup was the **** and I wish I still had it.

In regard to the Mustaine pickup, the tone in the video is awful.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

They should have saved that name for a new distortion pedal.

Rattlehead should have been the pickup's name.
                Last edited by dave74; 01-07-2018, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                  My second Duncan pickup was a JBJ, specifically a trembucker that read something like 17.6k. I stuck the ceramic magnet from a Detonator in it, and came up with my stupid name on here, though it eventually went back to original. As far as where I stand on the JBJ mythos, I don't know if it was because it was MJ wound, because it was a TB4, because it was wound slightly hot, the lack of a logo... whatever, that pickup was the **** and I wish I still had it.

In regard to the Mustaine pickup, the tone in the video is awful.
                  I am pretty sure the guitar Mustaine is playing in the promo clip still has his Live Wire pickups in it. The tone is quite awful.

He claims that his JB was different than the "off the shelf" version but i can guarantee you, if you find a JBJ from the 80s, you WILL get the tone of Rust in Peace. I even have a JB-M that is in a Les Paul that cops the tone almost perfect!

I think that maybe the key to the tone of these old JB's could be the Maple wood spacer or the Rough-Cast A5 mag.
                  Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                  Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

I want to know how they "altered the winding process".

Is it as drastic as going scatterwound (highly doubtful as they'd probably advertise it if it were) or, more likely, just a small change in the tension and/or turns-per-layer?

I find it funny that his original JB pickup was magically "out of spec". How convenient (from a marketing standpoint), ha ha!

I guess the best way to think about the Thrash Factor is to think of it as a way to buy a "new" JBJ in 2018

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                      I want to know how they "altered the winding process".

Is it as drastic as going scatterwound (highly doubtful as they'd probably advertise it if it were) or, more likely, just a small change in the tension and/or turns-per-layer?

I find it funny that his original JB pickup was magically "out of spec". How convenient (from a marketing standpoint), ha ha!

I guess the best way to think about the Thrash Factor is to think of it as a way to buy a "new" JBJ in 2018
                      Scatterwinding doesn't make much of a difference on a pickup as hot as a JB. Usually for 43 gauge wire, after 10k scatterwinding makes little difference.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

I understand that there is typically some "scatter" that occurs naturally as part of laying such a thin wire on the bobbins, but what is your basis that a humbucker over 10K isn't affected by intentional (i.e. greater-than-normal) scatter-winding?

Regardless, I'm assuming they just changed the tension/TPL a bit, which is cool, but not sure if that alone is enough to warrant the price hike.

And what's the deal with the matching neck model?

EDIT: Nevermind, the neck is just a standard '59 with a matte finish
                        Last edited by Masta' C; 01-14-2018, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                          I understand that there is typically some "scatter" that occurs naturally as part of laying such a thin wire on the bobbins, but what is your basis that a humbucker over 10K isn't affected by intentional (i.e. greater-than-normal) scatter-winding
                          It is affected by scatterwinding, it's just that in my experience it makes less of a difference the more wire you put on the bobbin, at around 10k it makes a minor difference, so long as the scattering has a similar coil shape to a non scatterwound version of the pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by maestroberetta View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]85357[/ATTACH]
                            I have always found it ironic that Mustaine played what is basically a Robbin Crosby signature model for so long.

Comment

Sounds cool, but what exactly is the difference? A JB is a JB right? How can you reproduce a JB that sounds just a little off from a JB? There are variances in every production pickup anyway. Just wondering, not criticizing anything or questioning the quality of this pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by SavageRiffer View Post
                                Sounds cool, but what exactly is the difference? A JB is a JB right? How can you reproduce a JB that sounds just a little off from a JB? There are variances in every production pickup anyway. Just wondering, not criticizing anything or questioning the quality of this pickup.
                                You're treading in murky waters. In recent weeks, many other brave souls have asked this question only to receive 6 paragraph responses that could just have easily been said in 6 sentences.

As was stated earlier, it might just be a marketing scheme. A JB that just so happened to be wound to a magical higher quality. But then again, look how far out of spec this pickup is. It's not unlikely that the pickup Mustaine bought is different enough from the standard affair to warrant a new pickup.

Comment

Working...
                                X