Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seymour Duncan Hyperion

Originally posted by Nagisa View Post
    ...it seems pretty low power compared to pickups normally marketed to metal players...
    The AZ series is not marketed to metal players, it's marketed to pretty much everyone else, but it can do metal, at least in my opinion, you just need to adjust your amp / overdrive / boost and turn up what needs to be turned up, depending on what you're using.

I got the AZ2402 Prestige, and I'm really loving it.
    The pickups remind me a LOT of the PRS 59/09's, but with the "power tap" modes and in between (positions 2/4) selections being surprisingly useable.
    I typically like it when guitars come with a 4 conductor wire humbucker with some kind of push/pull/switch tap solution, although I tend to not use it very much, but I definitely see myself using the "power tap" a LOT more in the future in comparison.

Anyway, like I said, in terms of it being able to pull off chugs and sick metal leads / rhythms, it can do that, and again it reminds me a lot of my Custom 24...which I love to use for modern metal tones.

Although...I was thinking about maybe going to the SD custom shop and asking for a new version of the bridge pickup, and just have a tad bit more output to it, but keep everything else the same.
    I suppose I could replace it with a Pegasus, but then I'd probably lose the power tap features right?
    Or is the "power tap" all in the wiring, and any 4 conductor wire humbucker will continue to work with it?

Curious to know the answer to that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9319.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	5810152
    Last edited by NkZx; 10-20-2018, 05:33 PM.

Comment

What is 'power tap'? I've never heard that term before.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Before I removed all my hyperion hardware and pickups I tried out my Suhr Aldrich on its own using the hyperion system. It sounded BETTER split than the hyperion bridge did. I don’t think there’s any magic going on with the hyperions despite the marketing hype.

Since you have HH you will be able to keep the hyperion wiring as it will have 4 solderable areas on the pcb for each humbucker.

You can call SD and see what they think, but rather than going custom shop you could just choose your poison and wire it in. Basically the higher the output, the better the split imo.

As for your quoted comment of mine from before, I totally knew it wasn’t marketed as a metal guitar. I just meant that the stock pickups would not satisfy a metal player. I got the guitar because the roasted neck and ss frets, alder body and locking tuners, with a stratty look is exactly what I wanted. I figured from the get-go that I would probably need to swap some pups. My aldrich/ fast track 1 / satch track 1 meets my personal needs, so after some tweaking it’s the best guitar for me

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          What is 'power tap'? I've never heard that term before.
          It's a partial tap.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
            It's a partial tap.
            Well, a tap doesn't specify how much the pickup is tapped...they are *all* partial taps. Like a tapped Quarter Pound, it is tapped partially through the winding. It doesn't have a special name because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Well, a tap doesn't specify how much the pickup is tapped...they are *all* partial taps. Like a tapped Quarter Pound, it is tapped partially through the winding. It doesn't have a special name because of it.
              Partial split I meant.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Ahh very different. I get it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagisa View Post
                  Before I removed all my hyperion hardware and pickups I tried out my Suhr Aldrich on its own using the hyperion system. It sounded BETTER split than the hyperion bridge did. I don’t think there’s any magic going on with the hyperions despite the marketing hype.

Since you have HH you will be able to keep the hyperion wiring as it will have 4 solderable areas on the pcb for each humbucker.

You can call SD and see what they think, but rather than going custom shop you could just choose your poison and wire it in. Basically the higher the output, the better the split imo.
                  Thanks so much! This is great info. The aldrich are a little too ballsy for my tastes, I think I'm going to try a Pegasus tho for sure.
                  And yeah I figured you knew it wasn't marketed as a metal guitar but just clarifying for everyone else who is unfamiliar with the AZ ~_*

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
                    Handsome Jack's new signature pickups? Found in his Diamond Pony and Butt Stallion guitars?
                    HAHAHAHA brilliant Fellow Borderlands player represent eh

Comment

Originally posted by Nevi View Post
                      I bought a Tequilla sunrise gradation, and I'm surpriced by the pups. I usually play a Stratocaster, so it's great to get that full bark from the Hyperions. I think they have a very full pure sound.[ATTACH=CONFIG]90922[/ATTACH]
                      Very nice guitar. I'm intrigued by them. Would like to add one to my collection. It has a roasted maple neck, am I correct?

Comment

Yea premiums have roasted maple, prestiges have super dark roasted maple.

Comment

Originally posted by Riley View Post

Custom wind by MJ for Ibanez. They share some DNA with the Pegasus/Sentient set. The pickups are exclusive to the Ibanez AZ series guitars, and they are USA made - not Duncan Designed. That's all I can say for now. Ibanez will probably release more specs at NAMM.
                          How about the single coil pickups, do they share any DNA with other SD pickups? Thanks

Comment

FYI, Riley doesn't work for SD anymore. Maybe someone else knows this.

Comment

OK Thanks, I have the HSS set in my Ibanez AZ Prestige, and there are times I'd like a warmer neck pickup. Its always nice to get a perspective on what these are close to.
                              Some of Alnico 2 pickups sounds really nice...

Comment

Originally posted by TommyG View Post
                                OK Thanks, I have the HSS set in my Ibanez AZ Prestige, and there are times I'd like a warmer neck pickup. Its always nice to get a perspective on what these are close to.
                                Some of Alnico 2 pickups sounds really nice...
                                Any of the A2 pickups are warmer sounding. More mids, squishier bass. How much power do you want?

Comment

Working...
                                X