Custom 5 7 string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom 5 7 string

Got a new guitar today, and the previous owner had installed a Custom 5. It's the 7 string version (you know, since the guitar is a 7 and all). I haven't tried a Custom series pickup in forever, but it's certainly different from the DiMarzios and EMGs I've been using.

I'm not sure if it's the pickup or the 27" scale length, but there's a twanginess to it that sort of reminds me of the Dimebucker. My 27" 8 string sort of has this, which is what makes me think it's the scale, but it's much more pronounced with this guitar. Have a feeling swapping to Alnico 8 might help things.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Custom 5 7 string

I can see how it might be twangy. Hows the lows on that thing?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Very tight. One of the things I like about 27” is you can turn up the bass a little more than normal with low tunings without the flubbiness. It currently has 9-46+64, but I’m going to bump the D,A,E up to 30,42,52 before messing with the pickup. Those strings are where most of the twang are.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

The Custom 5 can get twangy. I kind of like it though.

Comment

Discovered the problem. It’s a Distortion, not a C5.

I took it out planning on swapping the magnet, and saw “SH-6b” on the bottom. The mag swap turned into a replacement. Put the DiMarzio set I’d been using in my RG into it (Imperium/PAF7), twanginess 100% gone.

I know a lot of people love the Distortion, but I absolutely hate it. Had good luck with them when I was younger, but for whatever reason, I can’t stand it now. At least it makes a little more sense as to why it reminded me of a Dimebucker.

Comment

Well, that'll do it. Sorry it wasn't the right pickup!
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

No biggie. I'm not mad about it or anything. Ears change as we get older, and this just isn't my thing anymore. I know plenty of people love them, so I'm sure it'll wind up in a loving home soon

Comment

Turn it into a JB maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                  I know a lot of people love the Distortion, but I absolutely hate it. Had good luck with them when I was younger, but for whatever reason, I can’t stand it now. At least it makes a little more sense as to why it reminded me of a Dimebucker.
                  I'm going to go with maturity. I've gone through the same thing. I don't know if it's an upgrade.

Comment

I'm still a huge fan of the Distortion and the Dimebucker. And the JB.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I like the Distortion, but I definitely hear that twanginess you speak of. The JB has it too.

Comment

My favorite passive pickups are two DiMarzios currently, the Ionizer and Imperium. Both are similar EQ, Ionizer is B/M/T 6.5/7/4.5, Imperium 6.5/8/4.5. I'm also a huge EMG85 fan, and it's curve sounds in that ballpark to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                          I like the Distortion, but I definitely hear that twanginess you speak of. The JB has it too.
                          Funny, I don't hear it as twangy, but then different ears. I hear it as cutting.

Comment

I bet it would sound less twangy in my 25.5" RG with heavier strings.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                              I bet it would sound less twangy in my 25.5" RG with heavier strings.
                              That could be, because that's the type of guitar that I've used it in.

Comment

Working...
                              X