Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JB/Jazz set: new vs antiquity

Originally posted by Discharged View Post
    Well, word is that the JB originally was an A5, but Jeff told that it was hitting too hard the first gain stage of his amp, making the lows "fart" a little bit, so it was changed to an A2, which its reduced output and sweeter highs translated in a more suitable middle position tone and just the right bridge p'up output driving to perfection that very old tweed amp used in the recording of Stevie Wonder's song "Cause We've Ended Up As Lovers" in the "Blow By Blow" album.

/Peter
    If that's the case, an alnico III should work fine in a jb. It's like an A2, but with less saggy lows and even less output.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
      If that's the case, an alnico III should work fine in a jb. It's like an A2, but with less saggy lows and even less output.
      Well, if you liked the A3 in a Custom, you'll LOVE an A3-modded JB. Also, due to the different wire and turns used in a stock Jazz in relationship of the very old ones, use an A3 there too, and you'll probably have "better" middle position tonefootprint as well.

I'd just use a second-hand, stock Jazz/JB set to do the project and make the mag swaps as discussed. To end the thread: if you find the A3 JB a bit on the shrill side, then replace the stock filister screws with 1010 steel ones, like the ones found in both Mojotone and Addiction-FX. that'll most probably do. Have fun, and good luck with your take on the Tele-Gibb project!

Yours very truly,

/Peter
      Last edited by Discharged; 09-12-2019, 03:41 AM.
      Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
      Kolding, Denmark

Comment

A3 would definitely be interesting. Underrated mag for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Discharged View Post
          The p'up s were non-potted, made with Butyrate bobbins and wound with PE wire.
          Where’d you hear that they were plain enamel? They were always poly and the Concept Set from the Custom Shop is poly.

Comment

Yeah, the only Plain Enamel "JB" I know is Bareknucle's Holy Diver pickup.

But tbf, I know next to nothing about the TeleGib either.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Archer250; 09-14-2019, 07:57 AM.
            Originally posted by Myaccount876
            Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

I'm gonna call roughcast A5 in the JB, A3 in the Jazz.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
              X