Wiring help! - Volume pot issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring help! - Volume pot issue

I've got a Flying V, with regular wiring (two 'buckers: 59/Custom hybrid, Tonerider Alnico IV; two volumes, master tone, three-way switch). It's always worked great. Recently I took it apart to get it refinished, and when I put it back together, there were problems with it. I figured that, in the process of putting it back, the wires moved and there was some shorting out happening. But I took the pickguard out, plugged it in and got the same issues. No wires are touching, everything looks normal.

Here's the issue: with both volumes at 10, everything works as it should. But, say I'm in the bridge pickup; if I roll down the neck volume, the bridge sound goes away. And viceversa.

Do you know what's wrong with it? I attached some pics, maybe they'll help. Thanks!

Re: Wiring help! - Volume pot issue

While not the best soldering that I've seen, your wiring looks ok except for only having your vol/tone pots grounded to the output jack via that thin foil. While that's not a great idea, it shouldn't cause this symptom. You're at the point of taking a meter and just start doing basic troubleshooting 'til you find the errant ground. Your 3-way appears to be breaking the connection to the other pup/vol ok.

Comment

Thanks Artie, much appreciated! I've got a multimeter here, but other than measuring the pots resistance, I've never really used it for much. Do you know somewhere I can read/watch a basic troubleshooting wiring guide? Thanks again!

Comment

I'll try to walk you through a troubleshooting sequence tomorrow. In the mean time, if you can round up at least one meter lead with some sort of 'gator clip, that would help.

Comment

Oh man, that's so nice of you! I'm certain I have the clips somewhere, I'll look for them. Thanks!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X