banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most curious 1970's "The JB Model" yet!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most curious 1970's "The JB Model" yet!

Duncan's first HYBRID?

I have owned several first-generation "The JB Model" pickups from the '70s. One thing I've often noted is that the resistance of these original pickups was slightly lower than the standard production versions of the 1980's and beyond. Where the current spec is officially 16.6K for an SH-4, and my JB pickups from the 1983-88 era have generally conformed to this (roughly 16.4K-16.8K), the earliest models I have owned have generally measured between 15.9K-16.4K.

Well, someone asked me to measure one of the '70s models I recently put up for sale and I was blown away...The coils are clearly mis-matched!

One is 8.1K, which falls in line with the typical examples I've owned, but the second coil is 7.1K. That's a combined resistance of just 15.2K!

To be clear, I've seen *slight* offsets before. With my 15.9K example, there was about a .3K-.4K difference between coils. But, 1.0K is a huge difference! Kind of reminds me of the justification for Dave Mustaine's "Thrash Factor" pickup. According to SD lore, it was out-of-spec, being somehow underwound (though the Thrash Factor is also spec'd like the regular JB...go figure ::cough::marketing::cough:: )

Could it be one of the very first Custom coils (designed for EVH) mated to a JB coil? Was it intentionally underwound for some reason?

Just found it interesting. I'm tempted to hold onto it and try it in my Washburn USA George Lynch prototype super Strat just 'cause!

Last edited by Masta' C; 11-11-2019, 02:05 AM.

Re: The most curious 1970's "The JB Model" yet!

How does the sound differ from current production ones?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Very cool. Might be an interesting neck pickup too if you get around to it.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Awesome! Mis-match vintage JB, I bet it sounds epic. You better not sell that ****!! PS: the Trash Factor is specd at 16.4k.
        Last edited by Clint 55; 11-08-2019, 05:03 PM.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          How does the sound differ from current production ones?
          Generally, these very early models are a bit more open and balanced and tend to have really stunning dynamics and harmonic character. Not sure about this one in particular, though. I've just been holding onto it.

For some reason, I never thought to check the resistance like I did most of the others. Crazy that it's so mis-matched. A full 1K difference almost seems intentional!

EDIT: I'm not gonna lie, the fact that Eddie Van Halen reportedly used a JB briefly and was working with Seymour Duncan around the exact time this pickup would have been made crossed my mind...Just sayin'

I'm going to try it in my USA Washburn George Lynch "Outlaw" prototype. The Black/Cream zebra should look pretty nice:

Last edited by Masta' C; 11-09-2019, 12:46 AM.

Comment

There's a double cream one on eBay over in Germany. For comparison, the seller says his measures 16.06K: LINK

Comment

That seems like the perfect guitar to try this JB out. Let us know how it works out!
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                Generally, these very early models are a bit more open and balanced and tend to have really stunning dynamics and harmonic character.
                Vintage JBs = epic openness, dynamics, clarity, and harmonics. Current JBs = Ice pick bright and muddy simultaneously and dynamically flat. Only 1 volume will come out no matter how hard you pick. ppp = mf and fff = mf.
                I bought them for you

Comment

thats such crap clint

Comment

I bought them for you

Comment

You know what - I bet that pickup sounds - with that MASSIVE mis-match - like......get this....A JB. Yawn.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                        Vintage JBs = epic openness, dynamics, clarity, and harmonics. Current JBs = Ice pick bright and muddy simultaneously and dynamically flat. Only 1 volume will come out no matter how hard you pick. ppp = mf and fff = mf.
                        I certainly don't agree, but swapping in a RCA5 does wonders
                        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          You know what - I bet that pickup sounds - with that MASSIVE mis-match - like......get this....A JB. Yawn.
                          It might. But, I think you're just jealous that your JB's aren't as cool

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            thats such crap clint
                            Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                            I certainly don't agree, but swapping in a RCA5 does wonders
                            I was joking. There's no such thing as the current JB I described.
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Since Seymour always winds on turns on the counter and does not care much on DC resistance. He might got different wire batches or simply a mistake.
                              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
                              X