What is a chewy pickup ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is a chewy pickup ?

Good sizzle in the highs when it's really cooking . . .
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I use the term chewy. To me, as best I can describe it:

Chewy is a thicker tone. It is not skinny/or bright-brittle in any way. Almost like a fat doubled sound. It has a sort of non-immediacy to it, as in you bite down, but you sink into the tone. Similar to a power amp sag about it. So it has body and the tone emerges from it. It may have a nice high end, or not. A PG neck is a chewy pickup. Bright, yet thick and bloomy.

That is chewy tone to me. As someone mentioned, I think more about the amp - but see this is some pickups. A2P's and CC's. These are chewy pups. A 59 or a Distortion are not.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I use 'chewy' to describe some phasers. :P

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Warm, midrangey, vocal, aggressive, but not muddy, just breaking up into distortion/OD when you hit the strings hard.

A lot of it is style, technique, and tonal settings, as opposed to just being the pickup.

Listen to The Rolling Stones in the Keith-only period (Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed) or the very early Mick Taylor period (Sticky Fingers). That's my definition of "chewy" guitar.

Mick Taylor's ES-345 neck pickup solo and outro riffs on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" is, to me, a prime example of a "chewy" tone...not to mention most of the other guitar on the track (and the album).

If you want to skip to it, go to 4:40.

Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

And here's some classic Keith chewiness using a weird Australian guitar called a Maton EG240 Supreme.

Keith with the guitar (the neck of which literally fell off at the end of one of the tracks, which is supposedly audible on the final mix):

Click image for larger version

Name:	b9f4b8f2b15ef7d41228581f32caf0a7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	5817866

It was more about musical choices than the guitars/pickups used. Stones in that period used a lot of "chewy" guitar tones, because that was a production decision. Didn't matter what axes they were playing to get it.

That said, tones like that are exceedingly easy to get with vintage style Gibsons and other guitars of a similar scale with pickups of the era. Strat and Tele neck pickups also do them with ease...and hollowbodies and semi-hollowbodies get there real easy, because they are so good at living on that area right between clean and dirty – very sensitive to picking dynamics.
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 12-22-2019, 07:25 PM.
            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

When I’ve found a way to eat food through my ears or listen with my mouth I may then understand what “chewy” means in reference to a pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All the pickups I've tried have been chewy and hard on the teeth. It's almost like they weren't made for eating . . .

Comment

I find the old butyrate bobbin pickups warmed slightly are rather chewy, as well. Taste rather bland, unfortunately, but good mouthfeel and easy on the palate.

Comment

Isn't "chewy" opposite of "dry", but with emphasis on lower frequencies than "juicy"?
                    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Discharged View Post
                      The UOA5-modded '59b resulting inherent tone-footprint is the quintessential definition of "chewy", if you ask me./Peter
                      Can you explain exactly what you hear in differences between the OEM A5 and UOA5 , more mids ?

Comment

I think only hums can be chewy also. Not scs, p90s, minis, or jazzmasters.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                          I think only hums can be chewy also. Not scs, p90s, minis, or jazzmasters.
                          I have p90’s in my LP Special and I’d call them chewy.
                          Someone earlier made the comment about the amp having a big affect on the chewy factor.....the degree of sag. I’d absolutely agree with that having a huge affect on the chewy.

Comment

I've never been a fan of really vague descriptors like "chewy" and prefer more intuitive phrasing. I always read it as not being tight in the low end while being thick in the mids. The comments on "sag" are also where my mind goes on it as well.

Comment

This Seth Lover must have been pretty chewy. At least Junior thought so.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C512D344-FFC3-4D53-8994-DF251EA653D4.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	5817874
                              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I see that as having more of a 'biting' tone...
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X