banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strat bridge pickup: for those that have tried many, which one did yousettle on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat bridge pickup: for those that have tried many, which one did yousettle on?

I've been playing Strats a different levels since the early '80s and like them a lot.I've tried many bridge pickups. I don’t want to list them here. I have three Strats currently they are all eminently usable, but it bugs me that I can't get it exactly what I want inthe bridge.

the current line up:

1) CS Texas Special - Just too nasal. Too much string pull. Needs a lot of EQing to sound right.

2) A custom wound A3 flat pole. A little hotter than vintage (like a nine or ten DC or something). It's close. But I do miss the A5 cut. The mids are just a bit too prominent. I get nearly there with EQ, but do miss that top cut.

3) SD SSL-1. Also close. A little bit hard and brittle. The SSL-5 was of course too hot and middy the SSL-3 way way too hot and middy.

I keep giving up and I've mostly stopped playing strats because I need the bridge pickup 90% of the time for what I'm playing.

I can mostly get there but have to have to fiddle with settings to get the bridge sounding good. Too much bother as I use different guitars in the set and the Strat always sounds the worst. Compared to a great Tele bridge pickup, it doesn't cut it without lots of tweaking.

I have a Strat bridge sound in my head that is a vintage-ish classic Strat bridge pickup sound. From Ritchie Blackmore and Hendrix to Mark Knopfler. They all used stock pickups.

The bridge pickup in my head:

- competes with the neck and middle pickup for volume and blends beautiful in the 2 position.

- does not require a tone pot (ideally).

- has some bottom end.

- top end cuts through but is not harsh or brittle.

- It is not nasal.

- is not too weak and pathetic requiring three pedals to boost it.

- sounds great both clean and dirty.

- is not a humbucker or P90s wannabe.

- has even string volume with a regular set of 9s or 10s.

- magnets do not pull a lot when raised a little to compete with neck pickup.

- is not overwound so that it sounds middly and loses the top cut and twang.

I overall prefer the tone and response of a Tele bridge such as the Original vintage pickup want it more like that.... but still Stratty!

Do I just need a base plate? I have not tried the Twangbanger which many Tele players like. Should I buy one?

If you wanted the same as me. What did you settle on?

Re: Strat bridge pickup: for those that have tried many, which one did yousettle on?

Originally posted by rze99 View Post

2) A custom wound A3 flat pole. A little hotter than vintage (like a nine or ten DC or something). It's close. But I do miss the A5 cut. The mids are just a bit too prominent. I get nearly there with EQ, but do miss that top cut.

3) SD SSL-1. Also close. A little bit hard and brittle. The SSL-5 was of course too hot and middy the SSL-3 way way too hot and middy.
    How close to what you want is 2 vs 3?
    Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

Re: Strat bridge pickup: for those that have tried many, which one did yousettle on?

I'd say try the Twangbanger.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        It sounds like maybe a Five-Three (rather than Five-Two) might be closer to what he's after. Or would Alnico 4's hit the spot..?

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMetalRob View Post
          How close to what you want is 2 vs 3?
          That's a good question. I think, SSL-1 with just a touch more meat. I think I will connect it to the tone control to manage the brittle element.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
            Yes I think I'm going to have to give that one a whirl.

Comment

That's a good question. I think, SSL-1 with just a touch more meat. I think I will connect it to the tone control to manage the brittle element.
              If you have the budget to try a few pickups (being in the UK as well, I understand if you haven't) the SSL-5 (Staggered) https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup...taggered-strat or SSL-6 (Flat) https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup...=5e18b1aaec785 might do the trick.

Comment

I think, SSL-1 with just a touch more meat.
                That's literally the SSL-5: LINK

Comment

Honestly, just adding a tone knob to the bridge solves so many issues with strat bridge pickups. If you want something hotter than a SSL-1 without going into SSL-5 territory you can try the Surfer bridge. But, l would just use the tone knob.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
                  "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                    That's literally the SSL-5: LINK
                    The perfect pickup in this case might be the SSL-5 wind using a A5+A3 combination. Gets technical doesn't it.

Comment

Tried and I found it a touch too too middly

Comment

I think looks good on paper the the SSL-5 I found too middy and don;t wish to try it again in another format

Comment

Tried and I found it a touch too too middly
                          OK, so, Twangbanger it is then..?

Comment

Above - Yes @DeathMetalRob it seems to be where people are now pointing me. Pretty sure that's the next candidate.

Comment

Before you go buying a tone of pickups or getting Custom ones made, look at the Twangbanger first, as it really does pretty much all of what you ask.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X