banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alnico 5 Bridge and Ceramic Neck, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico 5 Bridge and Ceramic Neck, anyone?

I'm thinking about putting an alnico 5 humbucker for the bridge and a ceramic humbucker for the neck in a guitar I'm upgrading. Has anyone done that?
    Any thoughts?

Re: Alnico 5 Bridge and Ceramic Neck, anyone?

Absolutely! It can totally work. What models are you thinking?

Comment

Don't know yet, it's just an idea so far. It'll be for my newly adquired Epiphone korina 58 flying V.

Comment

I play mostly 80's Heavy Metal and old school Speed Metal by the way.

Comment

It will work, no problem. I really like the EMG 85/60 combo, personally.

Comment

One of my Ibanez came stock like that. It is the V7/V8 combo most people seem to hate but I don't have a problem with them. I think it's a pretty decent combination. Bridge sounds like a classic metal bridge humbucker and the neck is a little cruncher, brighter and snappier than your usual alnico neck. I imagine it would work really well with a nice hand picked set of Duncans

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

It can totally work. Don't worry about how a pickup is constructed if you are going for a specific sound.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Vastard View Post
                I play mostly 80's Heavy Metal and old school Speed Metal by the way.
                Out of the gate, the Distortion set would be perfect for those styles, as would the Black Winter set, which I slightly prefer myself.

However, if you insist on an A5 bridge + Ceramic neck, then I'd strongly suggest a JB with a Duncan Distortion neck (the SH-6n, aka: the "Seymourizer"). There's nothing rock/metal/speed you couldn't cover with that combo. Another really solid A5 option for the bridge would be the Full Shred, which is a little tighter than the JB, but has a different voicing, as well.

Comment

I guess it COULD work, but there's not a chance that I would ever tolerate that kind of a combination.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Why not? A good, high-output A5 bridge can play quite nicely with a ceramic neck pickup.

Comment

I usually don't even like that kind of tone in the bridge. I prefer a softer tone in the neck. Just my personal preference...I realize most players feel the opposite.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

There are plenty of pickup combinations with those magnets that will work and plenty that will not. Don't get too focused on the specs and focus on the specific tones you want out of each and/or both pickups and go from there.

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        I usually don't even like that kind of tone in the bridge. I prefer a softer tone in the neck. Just my personal preference...I realize most players feel the opposite.
                        I agree with you, and it is all personal preference.

Comment

I've done the A5 bridge and ceramic neck before and liked it, it can totally be done. Whatever tones work for you, go for it! I had an HH strat with a JB in the bridge and a Distortion in the neck and I used that for quite a while, thought it worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by Vastard View Post
                            I'm thinking about putting an alnico 5 humbucker for the bridge and a ceramic humbucker for the neck in a guitar I'm upgrading. Has anyone done that?
                            Any thoughts?
                            Many have done that (myself included) when they decide to reverse the positions of the EMG 81 & 85, with the 85 going into the Bridge slot.
                            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

85/81 works, sames as the 85/60.

I'm sure the DiMarzio Dominion Neck would be a good match for many Alnico bridge pickups if you want tight and snappy in the neck.

The Gravity Storm combo also has an Alnico bridge pickup and a Ceramic neck.

Comment

Working...
                              X