Pegasus vs PATB-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pegasus vs PATB-1

I am generally a fan of the Pegasus, but it sounds a bit too fuzzy to my ears. I've heard that the PATB-1 is like a darker/tighter JB which sounds like it might be somewhere between a JB and a Pegasus. Has anyone had experience with both pickups? Are they similar or is my thinking way off?

Re: Pegasus vs PATB-1

I wouldn't equate the PATB1 with a JB to be honest. More of a more balanced custom5, less 'hairy', more balanced, even. In a way, I see the Pegasus as an underwound custom5 (imho same tonal structure but a bit brighter and tighter because there's less copper on the coil).

So, personally, I'm a major fan of the PATB series. All of them.

Comment

My experience with the Pegasus is limited, I only tried it in a friend's guitar briefly when I was doing a repair for him.

What I can tell you is that the PATB-1 is warmer, more balanced and less aggressive than the JB, but covers a lot of the same sonic territory. It's unique from both of the pickups you mentioned because of the construction, which gives it its own character and feel. That said, the PATB-1 is arguably more versatile than the JB and definitely one of the best pickups Duncan makes, so I'd say it's worth checking out in your case.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
        My experience with the Pegasus is limited, I only tried it in a friend's guitar briefly when I was doing a repair for him.

What I can tell you is that the PATB-1 is warmer, more balanced and less aggressive than the JB, but covers a lot of the same sonic territory. It's unique from both of the pickups you mentioned because of the construction, which gives it its own character and feel. That said, the PATB-1 is arguably more versatile than the JB and definitely one of the best pickups Duncan makes, so I'd say it's worth checking out in your case.
        And the interesting part is, the PATB1 has 43awg; patb2 44. the 1 is, thus, closer to a custom5 than a jb. strange huh?

Comment

You can't really compare the Custom 5 and the PATB-1 on wire gauge alone. The PATB bobbins are unique, as are the pole pieces (which are WAAAAAY different than your typical screw poles...check out the patent pictures if you haven't already).

Anyone who has played both knows that the Custom 5 and PATB-1 are different tonally. The PATB-1 has more mids and a smoother top end than the Custom 5, but a similar openness, so there's that. Honestly, I would say the PATB-1 is balanced more like a regular ceramic Custom without the ceramic edge on top, if anything, compared to the upper-mid boost of the JB or the scooped-mids character of the Custom 5. I guess the PATB-1 sort of fits right between the JB and the Custom 5 in many ways.

The PATB-1 is one of the most underrated, if not THE most underrated, pickup in SD's standard production lineup.

P.S. - the PATB-2 sounds like the Distortion cheated on the JB with the JB's trashy cousin and they had a meth baby with emotional problems.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
            I wouldn't equate the PATB1 with a JB to be honest. More of a more balanced custom5, less 'hairy', more balanced, even.
            What I can tell you is that the PATB-1 is warmer, more balanced . . . the PATB-1 is arguably more versatile than the JB and definitely one of the best pickups Duncan makes.
            Ditto and ditto. I have a pair in my Epi LP Custom, and they're one of my favorite Duncan sets. Balanced, even character is exactly what they are.

Comment

the PATB-2 sounds like the Distortion cheated on the JB with the JB's trashy cousin and they had a meth baby with emotional problems.
              Spot on!
              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

You can't really compare the Custom 5 and the PATB-1 on wire gauge alone. The PATB bobbins are unique, as are the pole pieces (which are WAAAAAY different than your typical screw poles...check out the patent pictures if you haven't already).

Anyone who has played both knows that the Custom 5 and PATB-1 are different tonally. The PATB-1 has more mids and a smoother top end than the Custom 5, but a similar openness, so there's that. Honestly, I would say the PATB-1 is balanced more like a regular ceramic Custom without the ceramic edge on top, if anything, compared to the upper-mid boost of the JB or the scooped-mids character of the Custom 5. I guess the PATB-1 sort of fits right between the JB and the Custom 5 in many ways.

The PATB-1 is one of the most underrated, if not THE most underrated, pickup in SD's standard production lineup.

P.S. - the PATB-2 sounds like the Distortion cheated on the JB with the JB's trashy cousin and they had a meth baby with emotional problems.
                I know buddy. You're writing in more elaborate terms my point.

Comment

Ps imagine a patb1/2 hybrid, ceramic, alnico 5 or alnico 8.

Or patb1n/3 alnico 5.

I tried it and these sound huge.

Comment

Working...
                  X